I've started writing my book...

by cedars 84 Replies latest members private

• Borges
    Borges

Go for it cedars. I like you writing style and I'm sure it will be a good read.

I share many of the concerns mentioned about how many people you can reach with this kind of autobiography. Outside the JW world there are just a few who are interested in anything related to the witnesses.

I've thought a lot about it, because I'm although working on an book about my experiences as a jw (in german though). But as already some of my poems and short-stories (not about jw) has been published in print here in germany, my approach is not to write nonfiction, but a novel. In the storie is much jw-stuff involved, but it is not the main thing. So anyone who is interested in a good story may like to read it. But I will put all the stuff that people have to learn about the jw on key-points of the story. So the reader is not just learning about the witnesses during his read, it might allthough (so I hope at least) arrouse more interest about jw and cults in general.

I wish you good luck and most of all (for a writer never knows which reaction he will experience by giving his book to public), much delight during the writing.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

KUDOS!! Cedars.

The wife and I enjoy your posts and site and will enjoy your book. You have a great sense of humor and wit.

You might want to take a look at the WEBSITE for national Geographic for an angle to approach your publisher. For the last year of so they have doing a series on "American Outliers". It goes into various closed groups that exist in America. Amish, Mennonites, etc. They have been looking for new story material. I have noticed BBC, PBS, Discovery and Nat geo show each others programs. Obviously this approach works for a big demographic..the curious. "American Cults in Brittan" "Everyday cults" "The cult at your door" ???

So perhaps with a tie clip camera or a smart phone peeking out your shirt pocket, you could take video of service, meetings, Bethel, a quick build/RBC, an elders meeting, the new "compound" BEFORE you get Dfed.- If you got featured on a PBS/BBC/Nat Geo episode you could promote your book... If you fly to the USA you could have masive amounts of material.

Better yet if..... you released your book under a pen name and had your face "fuzzy" on camera.. and DIDN't get DF'ED the governing body would mount a hysterical witch hunt.........they must love your "getting to know you" series.........just thinking out loud....

• James Brown
    James Brown

Good luck.

The way the world seems to work that I live in. Unless you are a famous author, you dont get an advance

or a deal. I'd suggest writing the book and then find a publisher.

Also I would use a pseudonym, like Mark Twain or Shakespeare, Woody Alen, Chevy Chase, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello,

Bob Dylan. Especially if you are a practicing JW.

Good luck. You can do it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Cedars, you have a pm.

CC

• cedars
    cedars

CoCo, why do you tease me so? I keep checking my PMs, still nothing!

Cedars

• compound complex
    compound complex

Cedars:

It's up now; I type slowly!

CoCo

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks CoCo, I knew there was an explanation. It appears my "PM PMS" was premature!

I do appreciate the great advice. And thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement. I'm taking this project EXTREMELY seriously, and I'm going to give it my very best shot.

Cedars

• James Brown
    James Brown

Another couple of things that come to my mind. Since I have retired I have been writing, I havent

focused on a book, just short stories and exercises to eventually compile into a book. It wont

be of a religious nature. I also make music and have it on myspace as well as having a cd available on the

net.

If I were you I would focus on writing your book. Then I would try to find a publisher. Many authors get

many rejection slips before they get to yes.

While you are contacting publishers. You can make a web site to promote and offer the book to get generate interest.

I would offer the book for free in PDF.

You might wonder how can you give it away and still sell it? I dont think most authors make much money. Starving

artist comes to mind. Regardless, I have noticed since taking an interest in writing in music that most great authors

and most musicians give their product away for free. You can find just about any song for free on Youtube.

And many popular authors give their books away for free in PDF, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Carl Sagan, Richard

Dawkins, Stephen Hawking even Stephen KIng. You can get all of their popular works for free on Pdf. If you want to get your work noticed

this seems to be one additional way to go. And if you get a good buzz, people that liked and enjoyed your book in free

pdf will go to Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com and buy hard copies of your book to give as gifts. And there are people

that go to bookstores and buy books.

You got to be like a shot gun and spray the target.

• compound complex
    compound complex

If I may butt in . . . great advice, James Brown. !!!

I hand out hard copies of my poetry, e-mail a lot, do private and public readings, post copies on bulletin boards, etc. I have no desire to compile it all into a book. I like the casual, up-close-and-personal manner.

CoCo des vers libres

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Cedars,

You may want to interview some. I would make myself available if needed. I am sure many others would too. I am definitly going to look at that Nat Geo page balaam suggested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit