non believers what if your wrong ?

by unstopableravens 546 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You don't have to conclude or to trust me on that, or anything. Far better than me, you could look to and listen to Christ, yourself. He is the truth, not me. But there is no reason that I should not speak or witness to Him. Sometimes something resonates with a person and they will ask, pray, or reason for themselves... and sometimes it does not resonate with a person.

But I would, indeed, need to trust you. You say the bible is not the best place to go for answers, but I should trust you that going direct is the best place. The bible says otherwise. Therefore, I would have to trust what you say in order to find the right approach. That is what you have been preaching, whether you see it or not. You have decided that some who consider themselves Christians, really are not. And where does one go to find that information? You. And then you direct them to Christ? Because they are not really Christians? You don't see it. That's okay. They are saying the same thing about you

• DubR
    DubR

JESUS NewChapter u sure can talk.. er type. I have learned from experience two things ya cant do. use logic and reasoning to show a JW that JWs a cult, and use logic and reasoning to show a christian errors and contradictions in the bible. disecting their every sentence and countering it with logic will only give ya wrinkles. it just takes time for some. hope i dont offend.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Jesus doesn't have anything to do with it, Dub. LOL

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    That's good to know. And it is kind of a good point too. When these things were written, it was a reflection of the culture, not a god. To call it the inerrant word of a god is to argue that a god was behind it. But it makes much more sense to just accept it was the culture, and most, not all, of humankind has moved past that. To argue that it is the word of a god is to say that your morals are higher than the god portrayed. I'm grateful for that, and hope that more people become more moral (by today's and even tomorrow's standards) than the god portrayed. A loving, all powerful, all wise god would not be a victim of a culture, nor would it be swayed by such. If it existed, it would say this is the way it should be, and YOU need to change, not my law. And it would be moral, and it would strike all of us as moral. And it would be right, and we would all know it. And this god would not allow itself to be misrepresented so badly.

Inerrant is a term that I would not use to describe ANYTHING done by Man.

Arguments that culture was different falls flat when coming from a bible literalist. It's an admission that the culture created the god rather than the god that created the culture. It's an admission that it was made up. Yet somehow, this fact just doesn't penetrate.

The argument for culture is an argument about HOW things were written and to WHOM and BY WHO, not about God.

Textual criticism and Historical criticism are crucial to understanding the deeper theological issues of the bible.

The arguments that this god allowed brutality in order to accomodate brutal humans falls flat too. Just who was supposed to be in charge? Just who was supposed to have the right answers? And it goes beyond accomodating, and into the law that demanded brutality. If this is a real god speaking, then you cannot also argue that this god is loving and wise. If it is just the writing of humans, then it is a study in a long ago culture. The tragedy is when there are those that insist we still live by the standards of a culture that should be left in the past.

Allowed is NOT the same as "made provisions for".

The bible makes it clear that the Hebrew people did what they wanted, regardless of the Laws given to them and that is a very crucial point.

Lets take for a moment the example of Exodus and assume that all happened is it was written:

God saves these people by performing miracles upon miracles, to the point of creating a pillar of fire AND dividing a huge body of water and what do they do?

Turn their backs on him the first time things don't go their way.

One can argue that God knowing WHO He was dealing with, accomodated things just enough to get the process going, the proces sbeing the redemption of Man.

Was it perfect? of course not, anything in which man is the central figure ( and man is always the central figure) will never be perfect and at best will be "good enough" for its intended purpose and the bible is no different.

• tec
    tec

When I was a Christian, the OT was very important to me. Jesus quoted and read from it, and so, I figured, good enough for Jesus, good enough for me. I don't think I would have like the comparison to Lot's wife, and find it is not a valid comparison. Think of it this

way. S & G had been judged, and were going to be wiped from the face of the earth. Nothing there of value. It was all going up in smoke. That is not true of the law. So it is a bad comparison. Jesus even said he did not come to take away the law but to fulfill it.

The bible was never important to me to believe in God. Other things were: love, the sense of Him, prayers being heard, etc.

I never even read the bible until I studied with jws, about four? years ago now.

Even then, the OT was not very important to me. I liked some things in it, a lot, like the psalms and Isaiah. But nothing was/is more important than Christ - his teachings/his words... because He is the truth.

When you fulfill something... is it not done?

The work is done; it has been completed. Even Christ said... 'it is done'.

I see. So you beieve that it is your job (and right) to define Christian, and other definitions are not valid, and that means, in a sense, it is you who decides fits your definition of Christian, and the other are not really Christians? I find that problematic. I don't think it's up to you to say such a thing. Think about it. When I was a JW, I was a Christian. Now, you likely will not agree, because you have decided the definition, but your definition is no more valid than mine. Right?

And what makes you think that you can define christian and have it be valid? Where does your definition come from?

Even Christ said that there would be those who thought they belonged to Him, but whom He never knew.

When you were a jw, did you pass Christ by every year at the memorial? If so, is it not the organization that you belonged to, and not Christ?

Regardless, Christ said that there would be those who thought they belonged to Him, doing miracles and driving out demons in His name... but to whom He would say, "Away from me, you evil doers... I never knew you."

But I would, indeed, need to trust you. You say the bible is not the best place to go for answers, but I should trust you that going direct is the best place. The bible says otherwise. Therefore, I would have to trust what you say in order to find the right approach.

When you speak, NC, do you expect people to trust you? Or do you hope that they might see another perspective, perhaps consider and then investigate that for themselves?

That is what you have been preaching, whether you see it or not. You have decided that some who consider themselves Christians, really are not. And where does one go to find that information? You. And then you direct them to Christ? Because they are not really

Christians? You don't see it. That's okay. They are saying the same thing about you

There is nothing in anything that I have stated that says people come to me to find out who are christians or not. I cannot make that judgment... I do not know. That is for Christ, not me. Certainly i am not saying that someone who uses a different approach to come to Christ, than what i do, cannot be a christian.

I can see sometimes if someone is following Christ or not though. "By their fruits you will recognize them"

But yes, of course many are saying about me that I am not a christian. They say it directly to me, and much worse than just that. I don't say that about them - I merely state that not all who claim to be ARE, as Christ also said. But why should it matter to me what another says or thinks about me? It matters only what Christ says about me. I can only do my best to follow and witness to Him. All the rest is up to Him.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

use logic and reasoning to show a christian errors and contradictions in the bible

This might not have been for me, so please disregard if it was not. But I am well aware of errors and contradictions in the bible. My faith, however, was never based upon "the bible". My faith is based upon Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• caliber
    caliber

The warrior that trusts his path does not need to prove the other wrong .

I find great peace in this statement

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

One can define being a Christian -follower of the teachings of Christ, but one can't really judge who is or isn't.

That said, if a person goes against the explicit teachings of Christ then a case can be made for them not being, at the very least, a practicing Christian ( one who practices the teachings of Christ).

That doesn't mean they AREN'T a Christian, it may simply mean they are not a "very good" one but even that must be left up to CHrist to decide.

What is important is to realize that the church ( the body of ALL believers) is a collection of sinners, a "hospital of sick people" as Augustine put it, it is NOT a museum of Saints.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Tec/Tammy - "I can see sometimes if someone is following Christ or not though. "By their fruits you will recognize them" "

Your comments really brings us back to the title of this thread and my own philosophy. People are defined by how they treat others not what they claim to believe. If people treat others well they can’t be wrong because they are demonstrating ‘the fruits of the spirit.’ They stop being non-believers because they do believe in something, namely treating others well. There of plenty of people who believe in God, both Christian and pagan that do not demonstrate ‘the fruits of the spirit.’

The bible states that faith without works don’t count. The reverse is true; works without faith do count. As a Christian you give the credit for your good works to Jesus but it is your good works that define you. Still, believing in Jesus as well could be a sensible move; charity is good but so is insurance.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

One believer once asked me, if all it takes is "good works" why bother belieing in God and Christ?

I reminded him that belief in God and Christ is done out of love for them, not to get some reward ( though a reward may be the "icing on the cake"), but why believe? what benefit may it have if all e need is "good works"?

I quote Jesus via John:

24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and ( W ) believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and ( X ) does not come into judgment, but has ( Y ) passed out of death into life.

25 Truly, truly, I say to you, ( Z ) an hour is coming and now is, when ( AA ) the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who ( AB ) hear will live. 26 For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He ( AC ) gave to the Son also to have life in Himself; 27 and He gave Him authority to ( AD ) execute judgment, because He is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this; for ( AE ) an hour is coming, in which ( AF ) all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29 and will come forth; ( AG ) those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit