A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I'm sorry, I got an important phone call and had to take it.

I thought we were making some progress here.

Sab, please take your concerns with NC to private PM, as Angharad suggested.

And can we please leave out the random videos?

Tec:

I don't know how much we should 'police' people, so to speak (and i truly, personally, do not like the us/them dichotomy) I think every person is repsonsible for themselves.

I'm not suggesting anyone but mods should be "policing". I'm suggesting that if a person chooses to "police", they need to not be biased towards one side ot the other. *That* is what is causing the us/them dichotomy more than anything, in my opinion. We can't demand certain behaviour from others, while approving that same behaviour from people we happen to like.

I agree wtih NC, this kind of thing won't stop until it's required from each "side", by their own respective people.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Maybe this could work "Thank you for sharing your view with me. Now here is my view." Then the other person could say, "You are welcome." Then respectfully listen and say, "Thank you for explaining your view."

LOL Then it's not really a "discussion board" is it?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Try to get outside the situation and look at it fairly and objectively. We can never do that if we only look at one side subjectively. The songs can sometime reach people and move them when comments don't. The lyrics make the points I am trying to make. It makes no sense for us to be divided and disrespectful and to break each others' hearts.

More from the booklet Dealing With Anger:

Clarify the real issue. A fight about which sofa to buy is probably not a fight about furniture. More likely, it's about who makes the decisions or whose preferences are more important. If we make the mistake of thinking the fight is about furniture, we'll just have the same fight next week about dining room chairs.

Finding out what your anger is really about requires digging. One way to do that is to stop, take a deep breath, and ask yourself, "What am I thinking and feeling?" What about this situation (Or in these debates: subject) makes me angry?" "What am I really angry about?"

I believe that there is a lot of anger and resentment brought into these debates that came from somewhere else, beyond JWD/JWN.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

As a believer, I find it difficult if not impossible for nonbelievers to be capable of respecting a truce or having civil discussions because they dont have any values.

As a non-believer, I find it difficult if not impossible for believers to be capable of respecting a truce or having civil discussions because they have the values of a racist god that loved slavery, rape, murder, abotion, mutalation of babies, genocide and indiscriminate murder. ]

Fixed to add Bible vaues to the conversation.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    LOL Then it's not really a "discussion board" is it?

Sure it is. Discussion can be carried out in a respectful way.

• tec
    tec

I'm suggesting that if a person chooses to "police", they need to not be biased towards one side ot the other. *That* is what is causing the us/them dichotomy more than anything, in my opinion. We can't demand certain behaviour from others, while approving that same

behaviour from people we happen to like.

Valid point. This has been done by some on both 'sides'.

But like i said earlier, I truly think that everyone right now is trying. Truce means what mrsjones said... it also means letting go of past resentments/hurt (though understandably there will be set-backs)... and moving forward to start fresh.

Peace,

tammy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

EP, there are plenty of believers who do not embrace the god you speak of. I am one of them.

• tec
    tec

I think EP is being Lois to TS's Clarke. Or vice versa

• FlyingHighNow
  • EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

EP, there are plenty of believers who do not embrace the god you speak of. I am one of them.

i spoke of no particular god. which one are you not embracing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit