A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Most are still missing my point, as Gervais expressed it:

"There are good atheists and bad atheists.
    There are good believers and bad believers.

Are there any Theists out there that will admit that their side is not always well represented? Are they willing to stand up when one of their own goes too far?

Are there any Non-believers out there that will admit the same?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Oh, it's a joke, showing the stereotype? Got it. Well done.

S

• cofty
    cofty

Are there any Non-believers out there that will admit the same?

Yes absolutely.

I detest group-think. Its group-think that got me stuck in the Watchtower for so long and in the church for another decade. To think everybody on your side of a specific issue is virtuous and vice-versa is a serious mistake.

There are non-believers who are just as muddled, superstitious and nasty as the people they attack. You only have to browse some of the comments on Science Blogs to see examples of people you wouldn't want to go for a pint with.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Assholes come in all kinds. Plenty of variety. That's not news.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Yes absolutely.
    I detest group-think. Its group-think that got me stuck in the Watchtower for so long and in the church for another decade. To think everybody on your side of a specific issue is virtuous and vice-versa is a serious mistake.
    There are non-believers who are just as muddled, superstitious and nasty as the people they attack.

Thank you, Cofty. For saying so.

I notice certain posters have almost a "cheerleader squad" that follow them around and cheer on their posts, no matter what.

So since the non-believers are the first to admit, how do the non-believers here deal with that on the board? When another non-believer goes into attack mode or crosses over a line - what do you do/what can you do to re-direct?

• sabastious
    sabastious

What's wrong with a cheerleading squad? That's not group think, that's just organization.

-Sab

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

What's wrong with a cheerleading squad?

Good question, Sab.

Something to think on, huh?

• tec
    tec

I think it goes without saying that some on each 'side' cross lines. Of course there are theists who cross the line as well. Some on each 'side' will call that out, and some on each 'side' will not... and each individual person will handle that according to themselves.

I think that dividing people up into 'sides' is a mistake. People are people. That is what I personally think Gervais was getting at with his tweet.

Peace,

tammy

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Most are still missing my point, as Gervais expressed it:

"There are good atheists and bad atheists.
    There are good believers and bad believers.

Are there any Theists out there that will admit that their side is not always well represented? Are they willing to stand up when one of their own goes too far?

Are there any Non-believers out there that will admit the same? ..." Palmtree, page #2

Aw, crap...

But I LIKE being bad!!!

• cofty
    cofty

The problem is that when people are in that mindset they are not really thinking about the issues, they are just point scoring.

To illustrate - when I go to football games I watch the match as a coach rather than a fan. While the crowd are cheering the team and shouting abuse at the visitors I'm thinking about specifically where the opposition are playing better than us and how to fix it.

I have spoken up in defense of believers a few times but probably not often enough.

Sometimes the ad homenem attacks from the other side dulls my sense of fair play.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit