A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

As Judy Tenuta the Love Goddess says, "It could happen!"

• tec
    tec

But if we refuse to bow to the person that gets emotional overy non-emotional things, we are angry atheists

I don't think this is true. 'Angry atheist' does not come from this at all. But I think if we get in to that discussion, that it will dissolve into an argument (not necessarily between you and I). Perhaps simply because it is too soon to discuss that? I would prefer to back out before that happens though.

Data-Dog's post summed up what I feel. I don't know how much we should 'police' people, so to speak (and i truly, personally, do not like the us/them dichotomy) I think every person is repsonsible for themselves. We should not encourage abusive behavior from anyone, though, and i do agree with that. But mostly, we should each strive to make sure that we are not being abusive, ourselves, and show respect to other posters. Which is what i think people currently ARE trying to ensure that they are doing.

Peace all,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Part of me often wonders why someone who has the trust of some of these posters doesn't step up and say calm down, because coming from me it is perceived as simply an attack and not valid---but they don't

A valid point.

Peace,

tammy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Something I used to say when I was a teenager: if aliens come to attack earth, we are easy pickings because we are so divided into countries and factions. Divided we fall. Think about it. I still say this. Humankind is in big trouble if we get a threat from visitors.

(Check out the very cool audience members. I am so glad I was a kid then and got to experience all of that.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB3RBxnn98g

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

'Angry atheist' does not come from this at all

And where does it come from then? I think you'll find that if we don't just bow out when a non-atheist gets attached to an idea, you will find this meme pop up. If we are critical of that idea, we are 'angry'. Hell, I can't even get critical of an idea posted in a scientific context. As I said, I will enjoy the conversations as long as I'm allowed to, and when they get hijacked into emotional drama and drawn deeply off track, I'll just leave it. When people feel perpetually persecuted, it does make any but the most lukewarm, bland discussion impossible.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia
    Hortensia, TS was being 'satirical'. He doesn't really think that about atheists. He was playing the stereotype :)
    Peace,
    tammy

Hortensia doesn't always "get" what's going on. We used to put satire or sarcasm in orange text on JWS. It helped people like me quite a bit!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

There are good and bad people. These are the facts.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Maybe this could work "Thank you for sharing your view with me. Now here is my view." Then the other person could say, "You are welcome." Then respectfully listen and say, "Thank you for explaining your view." I read something in a booklet about anger today: to remember that we are separate individuals entitled to different feelings, views and needs. The more we remember this, it will be easier to remain calm and maintain respect for the other person.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

A song I thought of and listened to today by George Harrison. Here's a cover by Eric Clapton. It's a song about people and how they don't get along and miss the beauty around them. Isn't it a pity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY2Uid1XYp0&feature=related

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"Isn't it a pity. Isn't it a shame? How we break each other's hearts and cause each other pain."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit