A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

Yes, we do operate on the assumption belief IS a choice. Many believers have stopped believing. And so have proven it is a choice to believe or not.

i have to disagree, believing something or not is not a choice. i just recently heard from a family member "you chose to leave jehovah". it wasn't a choice to "leave jehovah" (whatever that's supposed to mean). that belief just didn't make any sense anymore. you can't choose to believe something if you don't actually believe it - and vice versa. it's not a choice, it's more like an epiphany - by research or by eye-opening events.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think that a lot of our discussions boil down to non-atheists that believe in visions, voices, and personal revelation, and self-style beliefs of one. There are some fundamentalists about.

I'd like to see other shades chime in. I'd like to hear from a person who has faith, but doesn't buy into other people's personal revelations as shared on the internet. I'd like to hear from those that may follow a religion and be part of a church. I know there is a very negative bias against those that do belong to a religion, but I would like to see what they have to offer this discussion.

I'd like to hear from non-Christians, and how they view spirituality.

I think the conversation has been greatly but in a box, since it ends up being an argument about reason and personal revelation---something that really can't be discussed, cuz the person said they heard or saw something, and it came from a god, and that's that. But I KNOW that not all people of faith simply accept that without question. After asking the questions, I'm pretty sure they come away not accepting them at all.

It does not have to be a non-atheist vs atheist discussion at all times. It could be discussion that discusses the personal revelations, and often we will find that many non-atheists take a similar postion as the atheists. When we discuss fundamentalism, we will see a different mixture of people supporting and not. If Paganism is laid out there (although, most pagans I know really don't get into the debates) we will see the dynamics change again.

Some new voices, some new ideas, something that can actually be discussed beyond, "I just know, cuz it was revealed to me" would be so very refreshing. Surely on a board like this, we have many shades, but we only seem to be hearing from a few, and that takes over all.

• still thinking
    still thinking

You are right hofer....once you have ALL the information it becomes a choice. I didn't really have any choices about belief before I learnt there were other options.

But I am not talking about chosing to believe something you don't. Although, some would argue that asking for more faith is a choice. If you don't have it and want it you choose to try to develop it, and strengthen your belief. I think this is just willing ourselves to believe because we don't want to let go of faith. It's amazing what we can convince ourselves of if we really want to. But that is my opinion.

But belief is not genetic. And at the end of the day. It is lack of information that stifles our choices.

In a way, you did choose to not believe that anymore...based on evidence. You could have chosen to ignore the evidence for whatever reason. Many do.

It's a bit like that beleif in belief argument. Sometimes people don't want to let go of belief regardless of whether they believe or not because the thought is too scary. So they believe we should believe.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I find it ironic chappy that ex jw's come to a forum and it is dominated by one type of belief. And eventually after a while more and more people believe the same thing. Personal revelations etc...there are so many belief sytems out there to choose from. What are the chances that someone leaves one monotheistic religion, and low and behold the real god is waiting for them here on an ex jw forum?

I doubt that all ex JW's all over the world do the same thing. Some would go into eastern religions, buddhism, or any one of the myriad of beliefs out there. And yet, here, we mostly see one type being dominant. Is this some strange phenomenon that ex Jws in the west do? I don't think that can be true. I think that many that have retained a belief in a god have a much more personal relationship and search for their god. And I would also be surprised if they all agreed with some of the belief that is professed here.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I really don't know why you are bringing ethnicity into that except for a reaction and shock effect.

For shock effect? Who do you think I am a member of the Jackass team? I brought it up because I see no difference between people who are persecuted for their ethnicity and those who are persecuted for their beliefs. I'm not sure why you would think I was merely trying to be shocking...

Belief in a god is not a genetic predisposition.

I wouldn't be so fast to assume this. I have tried to articulate many times to this forum that I have searched within my mind and soul and found belief in God to be a requirement. I simply cannot NOT believe in God. Since many people report this internal phenomenon it's safe to say that there might be a set of genes that predispose one to belief in God.

Yes, we do operate on the assumption belief IS a choice. Many believers have stopped believing. And so have proven it is a choice to believe or not.

This is one of the most unscientific things I have ever read from you. First there's no proof that unbelievers have a choice not to believe. It could easily be said that their dissent was predestined by the laws of motion, time and evolution. Many rationalists, including some big minds, see free will to be a human illusion. Which would mean that both my believing and your unbelief are NOT actually choices. So, your experience proves nothing, just as my belief proves nothing, only that it exists and was caused by what was before me.

It is not a stereotype of predudice even though you appear to be trying to make it one.

Yes, it is a prejudice that's my entire point. I have seen and catalogged this over the years I have contributed to this forum. There is certainly a world epidemic of anti-religion/faith and I took part in it when I came here. Eventually, I realized that it was not right and I stopped, which I then had to take heat for, like I am right now from you. The truth always hurts, my dear.

Sometimes some of the things you say really repulse me sab. And I have to say this particular argument of yours is one of those things.

This is only because you are oversensitive. It's really your psychology showing. I am not trying to be mean to you, but you present your cases strongly and pepper them with authoritative language. I get the feeling that you may be a teacher or could be one and I have noticed that those particular types of people loathe a lot of what I have to say. They want the world to be something that it's not, they often look at the world through a lens of perfectionism which effects how they view the actions of others.

I have not said personal attacks are ok. I have said when people believe they are being personally attacked it is not always so.

Of course, but the reverse is also true. That sometimes when someone is personally attacking someone else they don't really know they are doing it. This is most often the case with very logical minds who can rationalize their bad behavior. An emotional person will eventually cool down and see that they were just being emotional. Whereas a logical person will double and triple down on past insults because they don't see them as that, they see them as perfectly logical and descriptive. You are a VERY logical woman, ST, and I have seen you fall into this trap quite a number of times. Logical people still have emotions, they just often logically understand them instead of being in touch with their own feelings. They lean on logic so heavily that they stop seeing their own emotional reactions. This creates gaps of communication and quarrelling.

Attack the belief...attack them...in their minds. Don't like their belief...don't like them...in their minds.

This shows the error in your assumption that believing is a choice. Which is why I brought up racism because it lies at the heart of the assumptions of others involving choice. It's frankly dangerous thinking to think that just because others decided not to believe that belief is a choice for everyone. It's a false conclusion that's lacking in evidence. That's why you wrongly think that believers are secretly feeling not liked. It's not that believers think they are not liked, it's that they want to be able to speak and be heard just as much as the next person. They don't want to face ridicule if they have an idea that's a little silly. Rationalists on this forum have a lot of fear that they don't admit. I have tried to bring it up a few times, but it's slammed back down which just serves as evidence of the fear rather than a lack thereof. This is an issue of freedom of speech, religion and expression. If you think otherwise then you are simply going to be off track in discussions with believers on this topic.

I'm not talking about blatant personal comments like...you're an alcoholic

If someone is showing signs of alcoholism it's not an insult to bring it up. Ever hear of an intervention?

An intervention is an orchestrated attempt by one or many people – usually family and friends – to get someone to seek professional help with an addiction or some kind of traumatic event or crisis, or other serious problem. The term intervention is most often used when the traumatic event involves addiction to drugs or other items. Intervention can also refer to the act of using a similar technique within a therapy session. Interventions have been used to address serious personal problems, including, but not limited to, alcoholism, compulsive gambling , drug abuse , compulsive eating and other eating disorders , self harm and being the victim of abuse.
    You can dislike an opinion and not dislike the poster. I have never disliked you sab....but I do find some of what you write distasteful.

I have not once ever thought you didn't like me, ST, quite the opposite, actually. You have shown a lot of patience with me as I know what I have to say is not always palatable for you. I look at you as a strong leader in your community and a great person and parent. Frankly, you and I could easily hang out, but there would be some heated discussions no doubt.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

And yet, here, we mostly see one type being dominant

I don't think it is dominant. I think it is louder, but not dominant. Most people that I know in real life aren't church affilated, (unless they are fundamentalists) but have a more private kind of spirituality. When I share some of the discussions that go on here, they look at me askance. I see it as kind of a phenomena, and so do they. They don't think it's a good idea to accept such stories as these on the internet. Yet it seems common or dominant because we hear about it a lot.

That's why I would like to hear from them more often. To show that there are many ways to believe. This line may not be drawn between atheists and non-atheists, but perhaps it's all over the board. Some may have more specific and critical criteria for evidene than others. I think it would be good for them to speak up to show those that are exiting that there are more than a couple of ways to believe, if they do not want to let go of belief.

I can only share the atheist option. I'm an atheist. But I wish that when people pop on, maybe confused, maybe searching, maybe vulnerable, they see something other than atheism and visions. I don't think that is the impression they get, but I think the shades are important.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Indeed, I am embarassed to relate what happens here. In fact, I tell people in a joking manner. This is not a normal crowd, whatever "normal" is.

The obvious question is what I am doing here?

I believe there is a famous mystical book from the Middle Ages called The Cloud of Unkowing. Something akin to that.

Hard questions are precious to me. They keep me from becoming involved in cults.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Belief in a god is not a genetic predisposition.

I wouldn't be so fast to assume this. I have tried to articulate many times to this forum that I have searched within my mind and soul and found belief in God to be a requirement. I simply cannot NOT believe in God. Since many people report this internal phenomenon it's safe to say that there might be a set of genes that predispose one to belief in God.

OK sab...if this is so...do we, that don't believe in god lack this gene? How does that work? If we used to believe.

I think it has much more to do with what I have been taught than anything genetic. I don't feel or think there is a god any longer, but I did.

Did I loose this gene? Is is faulty?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Did I loose this gene? Is is faulty?

Interesting! Can my eyes change from green to brown?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Another thing to think about. If there is a designer that designed us to believe in gods, then in a sense, we are programmed. What does that do to free-will and how does that make us different than programmed robots? And for those that fight their programming---what does that say about them?

Religiosity may be a side affect of other traits that favored survival.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit