Atheists V Creationists ... FACE OFF

by snare&racket 122 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Okay, so you will argue for Theistic Evolution? Which would mean you accept evolution and science, but believe that a creator somehow set it in motion? I'm just not understanding everyone's position here.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ok, I've got my book out. I'll start reading tonight. ..

I'm still unclear about the boudaries of this discussion....LOL

Snare...I think you should contribute and moderate since it's your thread.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I'm just not understanding everyone's position here.

Same here, I not sure anyone here actually agrees with Creationism (non evolution) in the first place.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

It appears as though the book we will be considering will be "The Language of God" by Dr Francis S Collins, first edition, published July 11 2006 . ISBN-10: 0743286391 | ISBN-13: 978-0743286398

Here is a brief description of the book:

An instant bestseller, The Language of God provides the best argument for the integration of faith and logic since C.S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity .

It has long been believed that science and faith cannot mingle. Faith rejects the rational, while science restricts us to a life with no meaning beyond the physical. It is an irreconcilable war between two polar-opposite ways of thinking and living. Written for believers, agnostics, and atheists alike, The Language of God provides a testament to the power of faith in the midst of suffering without faltering from its logical stride. Dr. Francis S. Collins, the man at the helm of the Human Genome Project, doesn't think that science and faith are foes. In fact, this world-renowned physician-geneticist regards scientific research as a reassuring counterpart of faith. In The Language of God, Collins describes how his Christian faith has worked in tandem with his search for scientific truth.

Dr Collins is a physician-geneticist that has been noted for his discovery of disease genes and was the director of the National Human Genome Research Institute. His biography can be found here: http://www.genome.gov/10001018

The table of contents of the book are below:

Table of Contents

Introduction

PART ONE: THE CHASM BETWEEN SCIENCE AND FAITH
    One - From Atheism to Belief

Two - The War of the Worldviews

PART TWO: THE GREAT QUESTIONS OF HUMAN EXISTENCE
    Three - The Origins of the Universe

Four - Life on Earth: Of Microbes and Man

Five - Deciphering God's Instruction Book: The Lessons of the Human Genome

PART THREE: FAITH IN SCIENCE, FAITH IN GOD
    Six - Genesis, Galileo, and Darwin

Seven - Option 1: Atheism and Agnosticism (When Science Trumps Faith)

Eight - Option 2: Creationism (When Faith Trumps Science)

Nine - Option 3: Intelligent Design (When Science Needs Divine Help)

Ten - Option 4: BioLogos (Science and Faith in Harmony)

Eleven - Truth Seekers

APPENDIX: The Moral Practice of Science and Medicine: Bioethics
    Notes Acknowledgments Index

• tec
    tec

See that was my dilemma, lol. No one here is arguing for creationism (the dictionary definition,that is... young earth creationists and no evolution). So I think it is the same sort of debates that we always have, just perhaps around a specific article or paper or book, etc?

Peace,

tammy

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I think it would be great for you to argue creationism, tec. Or whatever else you believe. This would be good to have more than 2 sides. The problem is that Collins is a theistic evolutionist that does not believe that evolution and the bible are at odds. So a creationist would be arguing against the book as the atheist will. It could make things interesting tho...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Tec is not a creationist either.

I think the hard part is that most here are not creationists, and those that are, don't really read anything on evolution.

On the other hand, if it is an argument over Theistic Evolution vs Evolution---I don't think there is any argument. Both accept science, but one puts a creator somewhere in the past.

It sounds like maybe just another atheist/believer debate, and in that case, I will not be likely to take part in it for a while. Atheists on board have been accused of some terrible things even when comments were relatively mild and relevant. I don't feel up to the accusations right now.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

NC, the discussion is between atheism and theism. The book argues in favor of a belief in God. Creationism to me has little to stand on, so I can't argue it. My hope is that this discussion will be Nothing like the other threads. It should be moderated and insults from believers and atheists that are not discussing the book will be ignored.

• tec
    tec

Like NC said, I am also not a creationist. I would not call myself a theistic evolutionist either (but perhaps because i don't know exactly what that entails... and like most here, I don't like labels, often because they never fit me completely) I'd be happy enough to hear what you have to say on the topic though.

peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Nine - Option 3: Intelligent Design (When Science Needs Divine Help)

You might be interested in this part NC.

I understand what you are saying NC...that is my issue with the book in the first place. He presents scientific evidence which really can't be argued. But slides off into god belief. As a non atheist I didn't notice this because I though that was the point of the book. He was somehow providing evidence that god was real.

As an atheist often you feel like you are reading two different books in one. One with fascinating facts and scientific information about DNA. And another that simplys says....therefore god. The two stances often seems completely unconnected to me and his reasoning was unpersuasive if you didn't already believe it to be true. In fact, when I read it the first time I would have sworn I read a different book altogether becasue my focus was on the god stuff and not on the genetic information, I suppose I thought, he's a geneticist, he belives in god. Must be so. And even if I don't understand everything that he is saying about genetics I'll take his word that it proves god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit