Atheists V Creationists ... FACE OFF

by snare&racket 122 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Yeah dont worry, once we refer to evidence, the atmosphere will change a little. If you say something was written in 60 ad and i say it was written in 90 ad, the time and effort goes into looking for evidence not calling each other names. The basic standard should be to be open minded and fair.

Ground rules

Ps tec i am totally teasing you, I just find you bewildering, like a mary poppins figure...

• tec
    tec

Tec... You bewilder me further the more I know about you. How on earth do you make decisions on such matters? Do you just accept jesus as true, his ideas as inspired and all this based on a feeling?

I listen to Christ. I base Him as true, upon his teachings, the evidence of their truth in my life, and on His guidance, in spirit (which has also shown to be true as evidenced in my own life). Which kind of can't be debated as you are looking for a debate. Scripture and gospels can be used though, in such a debate, when it comes to correcting or sheddding light on someone's understanding or misunderstanding.

you are an ardent atheist battler

I am not, Snare. I just speak for my faith. If an atheist speaks something about my faith that is untrue, then i will speak against that.

Its cool though. I'll just listen in and comment as I can.

(think of me as more a defensive line, than an offensive one. Though I can be active, rather than passive, in witnessing to Christ)

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Ps tec i am totally teasing you

It's cool ;)

Peace,

tammy

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The one flaw i can see is going to the internet and just hunting issues instead of presenting what you yourself really feel reading xy and z. But there is nothing we can do about it and it just makes for a shallow development of the person supposedly opening their mind up to new ideas. I am not doing a WT. dont read the internet..... But maybe... Formulate your own thinking, anyone can google the 'answers'.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Isn't there enough stuff already written on this subject?

If there really were a god he should be able to clear this up in 2 seconds.

So basically god not only wanted creatures that pooed and peed but he wanted creatures that would argue endlessly about how he made things.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Actually this has rarely been done Scotoma. Instead of this being ONLY a "I think this or that", it will have some authority and evidence for and against specific issues. The lack of any structure tends to throw topics off and degrade into pointless argument.

Snare, I'm excited about this. I look forward to a good debate about these issues. I for one come into this with resolve but also an open mind to discuss and accept evidence and reason where it can be found.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well this is brilliant! Often I find that when having this debate, I am dealing with someone that does not fully understand the argument, and that is quite frustrating. I would love an intelligent discussion that is not sprinkled with some of the logical fallacies we have come to expect.

Very cool.

I can start with my Athropology text book.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    just a bunch of people spouting out their ideas without any evidence to back them up.

There is a flip side to that . . . when you go to the trouble of providing links, vids etc., as supporting evidence . . . and it's patently obvious by the responses it's being totally ignored. The rush back into battle is just too great a calling . . . after a while you feel like an unappreciated bloody nursemaid. If you're being brickwalled . . . then everything bounces off and the evidence is irrelevant. There have to be two participants in successful communication . . . a deliverer and a willing receiver. We can each only guarantee one at best. Throwing shit at a wall just get's boring.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I've got a feeling I'm going to learn a lot from this thread....yippee!

Are we looking at Colins book? or something else? Have we decided what is being discussed?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Scripture and gospels can be used though, in such a debate, when it comes to correcting or sheddding light on someone's understanding or misunderstanding...tec

I'm not sure how using scripture supports anyones argument. If we start using scripture it will just turn into a scripture flinging thread. I match your scripture with my scripture. There is no proof that anyone is right using the bible. It can say whatever you want. Then it will come down to how you qualify which scripture is correct...ie jesus clarified it for me. end of conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit