Atheists V Creationists ... FACE OFF

by snare&racket 122 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

I would love to hear opposing views on Collin's book.

CA and ST take your time, its worth doing.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I agree..... Sounds good, lets let this thread sit for a day and give people time to agree or disagree. But im happy with whatever you choose.

Also... No early snipe shots about the choice of book, lets try being open minded about the suggested books.

snare x

(im a trainee doctor, green and unexperienced scientific writer and medical technology inventor... where a book will fit into that life i dont know)

• tec
    tec

I am relaxed, Snare ;)

I just have no argument with those things... unless someone states that science disproves God.

I am happy to discuss articles - scientific or otherwise... that others bring up though. If I find one of interest, then I will do the same.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Those of us who care about hearing and taking part in intelligent discussion of opposing views need to be unapologetic about trying to prevent it from getting derailed by sophomoric arguments.

I hope that was arrogant enough ;)

• tec
    tec

I'm open to going with Tec's choice first too.

I don't read books on theology, so I won't be able to do more than comment on something you or someone else posts. You guys do what you like. I'll comment as I can.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

I'd be keen to have a look at it. But it wasn't next in my reading list. I will read it again to refresh myself if you are really keen. Otherwise it's not a priority for me.

Collins is an amazing scientist and it's a great book, well worth another read. It's just his connection to 'therefore god' that I don't relate to.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Those of us who care about hearing and taking part in intelligent discussion of opposing views need to be unapologetic about trying to prevent it from getting derailed by sophomoric arguments.

I agree, cofty. I don't think that's arrogant. I for my part will just avoid commenting on those arguments and stick to the topic we are discussing. I think if the bickering and snipe shot comments are largely avoided by us, we'll be able to keep this thread intact. Perhaps we should formulate some sort of rules for the discussion to keep us on track? Nothing that hinders the conversation, but just some guidelines to keep us focused?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Tec... You bewilder me further the more I know about you. How on earth do you make decisions on such matters? Do you just accept jesus as true, his ideas as inspired and all this based on a feeling? Today i saw a man try to yank his feeding tube out, in order to reach his wife the other side of his hospital bed..... She wasnt there.

Either way, whether it be scripture or anything......Think of something Tec.... you are an ardent atheist battler, i assumed you had it all built on a bed of sand, but i hoped there were at least pebbles in there....As long as it isnt quotes from an online dictionary or a random website anything will do Tec xx

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

What about following some rules of debate in our discussion like this:

1. We clearly define our topic

2. We present an outline of what area of argument we will pursue

3. Stick to logic. Saying that the other side is wrong is not enough. SHOW how the other side is wrong. We can do this best by taking the main points of the other side's argument and showing HOW it doesn't make sense. Try and find evidence for what your are saying. For example "This is true/false because of x."

4. Do not criticise the individual, criticise instead WHAT THEY SAY. Avoid making personal comments about the other contributers.

5. Edits to posts should not be done unless it is done BEFORE the next poster responds. This will eliminate some confusion in future posts.

6. Stay on topic. Don't bring up another topic unless the original one has been thoroughly dealt with.

7. Be prepared to cite specific authority for all assertions, especially when challenged to do so.

Sound fair? Any additions, changes, or should we throw all the rules away and go balls out?

• cofty
    cofty

I like the idea of having some agreed rules. Those look useful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit