Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Sab - you are asking rational people to respect irrational ideas. That is not possible.

We could pretend to respect them if that gave us a better chance of gently converting a believer to adopt rational beliefs except that wouldn't be honest would it? Also we mostly don't care what you believe.

I respect lots of believers and have many christian friends. I don't respect their superstitious beliefs so I usually avoid discussing them. This is a religious discussion forum where people invite debate.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

still thinking

why are believers so intent on scorning "atheists"?

I've no idea. You'll have to ask a believer who scorns atheists. I don't know. I don't, and I don't know anyone who does.

• cofty
    cofty

You'll have to ask a believer who scorns atheists. I don't know. I don't, and I don't know anyone who does.

I do but she is prophetess on her own forum now.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I was asking...and it appears you don't know why.

• tec
    tec

why are believers so intent on scorning "atheists"? Still
    I've no idea. You'll have to ask a believer who scorns atheists. I don't know. I don't, and I don't know anyone who does. Chariklo

Good answer, Chariklo.

I think there are a couple of people like that on-line who might think that atheists are inferior or immoral simply for being atheists (though I know no one like that in real life; just the opposite). But one would have to ask them, themselves, for their motivation.

Peace,

tammy

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Why are atheists so intent on kicking puppies?

I'm gonna start a thread about that.

"Why are atheists so hateful to puppies?"

or

"Why do atheists think it's ok to punch babies in the throat?"

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "No, quite the opposite. You don't KNOW all that. You believe it.
    If you have indeed achieved research that proves it, do say, because you'll be the first person in the world and you can make a fortune writing it all up.
    Knowledge involves hard fact. " Chariklo, page 3

Here's the hard facts...

Your great-grandfather lived BEFORE you did. His bones, if tested, would show a greater age than yours - living or dead. Therefore, HE came FIRST.

The bible is only around 3,500 years old - perhaps 4,000 years old, if one allows a VERY GENEROUS 500 years for some sort of "oral tradition" - though studies of Irish oral traditions have shown that such oral traditions only remain somewhat "accurate" for a very few hundreds of years - though, in some instances, such as the super-nova depicted in Puebloan art in the desert southwest of America, it can record some events of up to a thousand years previous - but that is a rare exception.

The Sumerian civilization is older than the bible. Stonehenge is older than the bible. The Egyptian civilization is older than the bible - and incidentally, contains quite a few stories that obviously influenced Hebrew mythology.

The Gobele-Tepe temple builders built THEIR temples around 11,000 years ago - FAR older than the bible. The cave painters of southern France made their 'magical' hunting paintings around 12,000 to 30,000 years ago - FAR older than the bible.

Going back even further, the aboriginals of Australia were practicing their ancestor worship over 20,000 years ago, and may have even been practicing THAT form of religion as far back as 80,000 years to 120,000 years ago...

Going back STILL further, the "Berekhat Ram" figurine, a female figure FOUND IN ISRAEL, by the way - is over 200,000 years old - and was carved at a time when humanity ONLY carved items thought to be VITAL to human survival, like acheulean 'axes', so the presence of a female figurine is MOST SIGNIFICANT - probably the representation of one of the MOST ANCIENT FERTILITY GODDESSES....

So, just as your great-grandfather is OLDER than you, though deceased - and came BEFORE you - obviously, then the bible "god" or more accurately, "gods" - CANNOT be the "first god" on the planet.

Besides, the bible "god" of the old testament didn't even know what a VOLCANO was!!! Read Exodus 19: 16-19, for the evidence.

Either open your mind up, see reality and learn, or do not expect me to burn up my time upon a closed mind that has NOT hiked the miles, seen the rock formations and fossil layers, or camped in the glacial gouges that I HAVE...!!

Zid

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Let me do a little reality check here. It's getting more obvious and someone is BOUND to bring it up.

Over the last few days there has been a lot of atheist bashing. "Why are atheists hateful?" "Why are atheists so intent on scorning believers?" and the like.

Believers, we've gotta let up. People are attacking atheists left and right. And I haven't seen many (if any) threads started by them like "Why are believers so stupid?" "Why are believers hypocrites?" and the like.

It's been a one sided fight for a while. Maybe we should stop with the believer v non believer for a while... Get on to some other subjects.

• still thinking
    still thinking

It might be a good answer if the person who started this thread wasn't scorning atheists....with this question..."Why are atheists so intent on scorning belivers"? The question itself is judgemental and full of scorn.

So, I'll ask the question again and rephrase it a bit.. Why are believers starting threads to scorn atheists and other believers coming on telling them that they are giving good answers?

• cofty
    cofty

CA - I appreciate your sentiments but to be honest its not a problem.

My beliefs are evidence based. Personal attacks are no threat to what I believe at all.

Evidence that challenges what I believe would be more than welcome - I wouldn't want to be wrong any longer than necessary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit