Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Until recently, I had never encountered this word "believers" used as it is being used on this board, to describe pejoratively a group of people.

It's not clear to me whether they scorn all who have a faith of some sort. Do they include Buddhists, Hindus, followers of the Baha'i faith, followers of the cargo cult, Native Americans along with Christians, or is it just Christians who are honoured with this epithet?

First of all, they illogically and conveniently forget that they, too, are "believers". They passionately believe that there is no god. If they didn't believe it, if they are merely unsure, then they are not atheists but agnostics. Therefore, atheists too are believers.

That being the case, why do they continually talk about believers as if they are stupid, or unpleasant, and most particularly as if those who believe (in what is unspecified) are a separate group from...wait for it...atheists who, in their writings, are sometimes explicitly, sometimes implicitly, referred to as if they are of higher intelligence and almost of superior worth than that other group, you know, those believers.

Not very tolerant, is it? Not very inclusive. Definitely favouring a divisive "them and us" attitude. I thought civilised people were trying to move a way from that.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Uh oh. It's definitely turned into a slur for some. Such only exposes their own psychology and it even might mean their subconscious believes in a creator, but they cannot get past the seemingly questionable morality of that creator not posing for a polaroid snapshot.

-Sab

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Do they include Buddhists, Hindus, followers of the Baha'i faith, followers of the cargo cult, Native Americans along with Christians, or is it just Christians who are honoured with this epithet?

When I use the term "believers", that is what I am referring to. If I'm talking about Christianity, I will use that term. But usually I am just talking about a belief in God in general. Not necessarily the Judeo/Christian understanding of God. That's just me personally though.

I've gotta say, though, when you say: Definitely favouring a divisive "them and us" attitude. I thought civilised people were trying to move a way from that", it sounds like you are having a them v us attitude.

I think it has to do with labels and stereotypes. We label a person "atheist" or "believer" or whatever else and we place a stereotype on all people that have that label. It's a sad thing. I do it way too often and I'm trying to be more conscious of it in the future.

But the them v us attitude DEFINITELY drives us away from each other and stops us (atheist and believer) from considering what points the "other" side may have that is valid.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Geez, here we go again.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Thanks for that, CA.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

You must be new to the internet.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

"Geez, here we go again."

Quite.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Well charlie, you have to understand who you are dealing with. "We" (the group being spoken of) are former members of a cult that promotes being right always and being pasionate. I susspect there is carry over in other facets of life. Former believers in dubbieisum tend to be pasionate post dubbie, whatever it is "we" come to believe, be it thor worshippers or athiests or any other catagory one wants to create for people. I see it in so called believers and so called athiests and many others... I prefer to view everyone individually. Theres enough jack asses in life in every conceivable catagory one would make for people that i dont have to make special effort to find or catagorize them ;)

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

you are wrong, chariklo. atheists do NOT believe. it's not "believing that god doesn't exist", it's "not believing that god exists". so no, atheists are not believers. and yes, believers are just that, believers of any faith. and while believers may not be generally stupid or ignorant, it sometimes is a little strange that they don't stick to their intellectual honesty when it comes to their faith.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Let's all chill out, ok? For some (not me), beleiver is pejorative. For some it is not. Sure, there is scorning going on in both directions. Not agreeing with someone doesn't mean we can't all get along.

Maybe we need some ground rules?

1. If you make a claim, expect to have to defend it with facts and verfiable examples. Otherwise, it's your opinion.

2. Thou shalt not attack anyone personally.

3. If someone will not directly answer a question with facts or verfiable examples, that person agrees their position is based on faith.

4. Science may not be able to answer every question.

5. Someone just farted on my flight. It wasn't me. I think we can all agree that's gross.

6. We all, at some point, have to agree to disagee.

7. It's not about winning.

8. Science ain't perfect.

9. I am pretty damn awesome. Get used to it.

Agreed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit