Why are atheists so intent on scorning "believers"?

by Chariklo 553 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Soledad, do you believe that people that dont belive in fairies mostly are people wilth grievances with Tinkerbell?

You think thats sarcastic right? Thats because you are on a different page to atheists... i am quite serious...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Dawkins and Wendy Wright (think its near the end, and I warn you... You live in the same country as this woman, I believe it is also easy to buy guns over there...

LOL, yeah, it's always somewhere in my mind. LOL

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjoEgYOgRo

Okay, Snare, yeah, I saw this video. Good one. I'm posting the video for you.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I tend to think the "do you believe in fairies or unicorns" argument that I see the newer atheists bring up is a fallacy. A fallacy that some atheists deny making. It's exaggerating for the mere purpose of trying to make the opposing side look ridiculous. There's gotta be a better argument.

• Soledad
    Soledad

Soledad, do you believe that people that dont belive in fairies mostly are people wilth grievances with Tinkerbell?

You think thats sarcastic right? Thats because you are on a different page to atheists... i am quite serious...

Which faeries are you talking about? Just Tinkerbell? That's fiction, a fantasy. Walt Disney didn't invent faeries. I'm also serious. You have no idea what I'm thinking.
  • tec
    tec

Appeal to ridicule fallacy, CA. The example on that site of appeal to ridicule is comparing belief in God to belief in Santa or fairies.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/rhetological-fallacies/

(the above is one of my favorite sites ever... though someone meant to use it against me in giving me the link )

peace,

tammy

• Soledad
    Soledad

I tend to think the "do you believe in fairies or unicorns" argument that I see the newer atheists bring up is a fallacy. A fallacy that some atheists deny making. It's exaggerating for the mere purpose of trying to make the opposing side look ridiculous. There's gotta be a better argument.

Yeah, I agree, and some believers get justifiably angered over this. I see it as no different than the borg asserting to be the truth by putting down everyone else. Shameful. They make themselves look bad.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Ooh, thanks tec. I love it!

• tec
    tec

You're welcome

• still thinking
    still thinking

snare&racket...I watched that video and part 2.....unbelievable...that she keeps saying there is no evidence just drawings, when he is explaining to her about the evidence that does exist and where to go and see it.

Listeneing to her reminds me of reading some posts on this forum. It's truly mind numbing...that was a great example of ignorance.

Then she finishes in video two asking him why he is so aggresive about his belief....groan...double groan...he is not aggresive about anything and she talks over him all the time. Then SHE goes on to tell HIM he thinks it is dangerous for people to believe in a creator. He is trying to explain that as a scientist he is concerned that children in school should be exposed to the evidence. Then she twists it to say she wants the real evidence, the controversy (as she puts it) to be taught. Controversy of which...SHE HAS NO EVIDENCE.

That video makes me feel emabarrased that I used to think like that. But she takes prize for shameless ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit