The New Diary of Winston Smith

by WinstonSmith 336 Replies latest jw experiences

• Listener
    Listener

Sadly JWs look to earthly men to set rules for them. The Shepherds of the flock are supposed to tend the their sheep, not to lord over them. The term Governing in Governing Body should be apparent enough that they have taken on a role that was not assigned to them.

This is a real test for your mother and she doesn't want to disassociate from you. I imagine she may need to talk to other JWs about her feelings, maybe even the elders, if she decides to cut off contact then she will be forced to go against what her own conscience and heart is telling her. This is very wrong for the GB to impose this on her in order for her to remain a JW. I understand why many need a church/congregation in order to feel they are serving God and doing it as part of a group fills a need, it is natural for many but the GB enforce their own rules and there is no option for many. Unfortunately, what these individuals are doing is obeying men's rules rather than those rules set down by God, but they don't know it and it is wrong.

I so hope that she allows you to discuss issues with her in far greater depth so that she sees the manipulation and control that the GB through their organization are seeking. The recent WT issue on the FDS is great, the January article on the generation teaching is ideal as it's just so easy to discuss the falicy of it.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Winston

i think what your mother was really asking you was 'why do you want me to stop being your mother?!!'

as you can clearly see, she couldn't care less what you believe in and what you don't, hence her recommendation regarding just becoming inactive.

winston, in the end, by attempting to 'discard' the made up 'rules' set by the wt, you are hurting your mom by actually following one of the worst 'rules', the turning in a letter of DA. there is nothing in the Bible about doing this either.

anyways, in a few years no one will care that you turned in a DA or not and no, no one will think of Winston as a JW if you're gone long enough, it's true. no one except your mother. it sounds like you care about her and she wont be around forever, i'd give in for her. just my op.

• Listener
    Listener

I do wonder if your decision to DA has had a lot to do with your mother. That decision is directly affecting her and she has to make a decision but you know her so well and I believe that you can guide her through this and it is lkely what you want. You know the influence that you have in her life and you may have taken this stand so that she has to take a stand herself without simply pushing things under the carpet which is what would have happened had you simply slowly faded.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hi guys,

Thanks again for taking the time to read my ramblings!

Interesting that a couple of you have mentioned about how it is clear that the rules of men are controlling mum. Interesting because this is where I took the conversation next. I'll post up some more soon.

It's funny how when you are out you can see it all so clearly can't you? The lies from the GB, the manipulation, they way they crush peoples minds into conformity. It is sad to see people you love under control and honestly struggling between what they heart tells them and what their beloved GB tells them.

Monsieur I appreciate what you say, but mum is most certainly not thinking " why do you want me to stop being your mother?" There is a lot that I have not posted for personal reasons, and let me tell you that her love for me is unwavering. The struggle she is having is trying to figure out how she can continue to show me the love that she has but not break any rules of the org (which is in her mind synonymous with Jehovah).

She does care about what I believe, and is trying her hardest to try and understand it. The problem is she has to wade through a mire of JW programming before she can see that other people can have a different point of view.

Based on the big conversation Mrs Smith and I had earlier on in the year, I was (am) confident that over time I can reach her. This is why the message we got the other week saying she had to cut contact was such shock. It simply did not match up with anything she has said previous. And as you will see when I post the next part of the story it seems that.....well, you'll have to wait until I post it as there are some other things I need to post first.

In our conversations I can clearly see her cognitive dissonance. She is saying what she thinks she ought to be saying even though this does not align with what she quite clearly feels in heart. I think it is the first time she has ever come across someone so firm in their beliefs and she has never had to defend her faith, hence the falling back on rote answers provided by many years as a JW. It is clear when she gives an answer that the look on her face says "That's the first time I've heard myself say that out loud, and you know what it sounds ridiculous, but I have to still say it because this has to be the truth."

I hope everyone can get what I mean.

My decision to DA was all about me. I thought long and hard about what effect it would have on others. I also fully knew that it could mean that she would turn her back on me. But for me, no-one else, but for me, I had to cut ties with the organisation. That is what I had to do for me. Everyone has a different journey.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

I finished my last post by relating what I said to mum why I chose to DA:

“The reason that I chose to DA rather than just be inactive is because to do otherwise would mean that I would be living a lie. People would know me as a JW, JWs would consider me to be a JW while I did not consider my beliefs to align with them. Honesty comes at great cost in the organisation. Further to that, it is my firm belief that there is no scriptural basis for cutting off people who disassociate. The word and the situation are quite simply not in the bible. Again it is an arbitrary rule made up by the organisation.”

I thought, well, this is either going to make her run for the hills, or stick around and continue talking.

Thankfully, we kept talking.

In reply, she said “Thank you for stating it clearly. I am so proud of you for not living a lie, but yes honesty does come at a price. You know what is expected of JWs when it comes to those who DA or are DF’d so why were you surprised when I said I would not keep contact?”

I had been hoping she would ask me this, because I knew this was where I would have my best chance to maybe help her to see that the WTS is all about mans rules, and not about love and taking direction from the bible. I thought that if I could get her to see that there is no basis for the rule about how to treat DA people, it might be a little chip off the wall that could lead to other things falling down.

Rather than answering her I decided to see if I could get her to reason on the matter herself. I said “It used to be that people who DA'd were just treated like normal people. Like any other person that was not a JW. Then without explanation the rules were changed to be that DF and DA people were to be treated the same. Again, no scriptural basis. "It is this way because we say it is.”

I had mentioned this before in a separate conversation, and she said that she had been looking for the reference where the rule had changed but had been unable to find it. She said that she had done a lot of research on the question but could not find where she put it. I told her where the reference was and quoted it for her. She asked “So that is where the change is, but does it say why?” I said that the article gives no reason. There is no scriptural backing given for their stance. It was an arbitrary change based on nothing.

I decided to rephrase things “You have said quite a few times that cutting off someone who is DA is showing loyalty to Jehovah. Where in the bible does Jehovah say that those who DA must be cut off?”

Her answer was interesting “It doesn’t. It just says it is the same, but I can’t find the magazine that shed light on it.” She was trying to do what most JWs do and fall back on the magazines for answers so I said outright “I'm talking about the bible, not the magazines. What does the bible really teach? Nothing at all about how to treat DA people.” She had another go “I mean that it is the same in the eyes of the organisation at the moment and until I see otherwise I have to obey Jehovah. The magazine has other scriptural references.” So I said it straight again “I would love to hear what the bible says about it, not a cut and paste from a magazine. Mum trust me I have researched the poop out of this too. No matter how it is stretched the bible is silent on how to treat people who DA.”

She just said “Yes, I can see that you have done your research on this.”

I pressed on “I can't see how it would be disloyal to Jehovah to chat and have a good healthy spiritual discussion with your son. By iron, iron is sharpened. Christian unity proves itself genuine when differences of viewpoint exist but the people holding the differing view don't allow it to divide them.”

Again, she gave an interesting reply “That is exactly why I am talking to you now!” I said “ This is what I love, talking about the bible and learning. I love talking with you about stuff. Our differing beliefs are in my opinion no reason to stop talking to one another. In fact it should be a reason for us to talk more! That is how is was done in the first century. There was no formulaic process to their gatherings, they sat around and talked. I believe we are all part of a spiritual family. A bunch of people doing the best they can with what they have. Surely Jesus won't destroy someone simply for following his advice to keep on knocking?

I appreciate very much that you are here talking knowing how you feel. I hope we can continue to do so.”

Her reply gave me some hope. She said that she will be back in touch but also asked me to not be offended if she did not reply to everything I send her. I said ” I know that and respect that. I just need to know that there will not be no contact. I will still email you and text like normal, because from my point of view nothing has changed. I love you and nothing will ever change that. ”

Her response was simple: “Ditto”

So that is where we finished. Somewhere in there I also shared the article from the old 1952 magazine saying that DFing was pagan. She hadn’t heard that one before, and thought it was most interesting. I’m kicking myself though because I forgot to mention my favourite killer verse: Luke 21:8.

Oh well, maybe I will get another chance.

Who knows?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Winston for keeping us updated, it is interesting, and heartening, to see your progress with Mum. I do believe that you are uncovering her pre or non-cult, i.e real, personality.

I know how she is struggling with this, I have seen the same struggle in members of my own family. I do hope she does not regress into the cult personality again, I think the more that you and her talk, the less likely that is.

I have found with my own mother that it has been good now to simply ignore all the "issues", we covered those some years ago. Mum is never going to stop being a JW, nor will she ever see the WT for what it is, and in her last days on this earth, she is now very old, I do not think it would be good for that to happen.

With your Mum, I am sure you are sensitive enough to know how far to go, and I wish you well, even if you only get as far as me, where normal mother-son relations are restored, as long as religion is not mentioned !

• tornapart
    tornapart

Winston, I felt gutted for you a couple of weeks ago but now things look quite promising. I really hope that even if you don't completely get through to her that she will still want to keep in contact with you. From a mother's point of view, I can't see how any mother can cut off her child, it seems inhuman to me. Your mother comes across as a very warm, lovable and thinking person. I'm sure things will go well for you. Keep it up!!

• Listener
    Listener

I would apologize if I offended you for my previous comments but I doubt that was the case, discussing matters really just help to clarify things.

My mother (who was not a JW) would suggest that I just return to the meetings so that my father could once again talk to me. To her it was a solution but I couldn't bring myself to living a lie regardless of the benefits. Not only would it be wrong on a religious basis because I would not be serving God in truth but I would be fooling my father. To make a pretence of my own beliefs, to me, would be a great sin. As this is a public discussion I do understand why others choose to go this route and I do not judge them for their personal decisions. After your post I appreciate more so why you chose yourself to go down the course you have taken.

Although I lost the close relationship with my father for over 30 years I always felt that it was not by my doing and he chose to shun because he honestly believed what he was doing was right and I had no control over that.

The GB do not have scriptural backing for their laws on disfellowshipping and shunning and the scriptures have been twisted for their own purposes so that they can maintain this Orwellian world. If they honestly tried to apply scriptures in regards to sinners or apostates then they would not allow a disfellowshipped person to even attend the Kingdom Hall because even though they are allowed to do so now in silence they are still part of the congregation by their simple attendance. They are still associating with the brothers and sisters and they are still part of that group worship. They participate in the religious activities by singing and praying with them and by the elders being able to deliver their sermons to these individuals. Their is more biblical basis to say that they should be expelled completely from any group gatherings (if they are not repentant and continue to sin). However, the organization will not do this because of the legal reprecussions and their status as a religion for all.

I am very happy for you that you still have a very good relationship with your mother. What makes me even more happy is that your mother is so open to discussing what is in the bible and really shows a deep desire to do what is right according to that. Unfortunately she is still wrapped in the JW religious chain.

I admire you for the stand that you have taken and taken seriously. That 'elder' mentality still shines through in that you are sincerely setting yourself as an example to others.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

@Phizzy: Thanks for sharing your story mate. I do honestly hope that this is the same point I can get to with Mum, where we "agree to disagree" and just go on talking about everything else. I have never once said that I think she should leave, I have been very careful about that. I have said to her (and many others) that I am happy for them if they wish to be a JW for the rest of their life, all power to them. But where I struggle is with the policy of cutting family off, especially with no scriptural backing. Until I get a satisfactory answer I will remain firm in that stand. Like you say, I really hope eventually we can just talk about other stuff.

@Tornapart: Mum is pretty awesome, and this is half the reason why I am fighting so hard for this (you may note with interest that I have not really mentioned my sister in while - let the reader use discernment). Like I said to Phizzy above, I'm happy if she wants to remain a JW I've never asked her otherwise. All I am asking is for her to do the scriptural thing, the christian thing, and let the natural affection flow.

@Listener: No offence at all mate, just enjoying the chance to talk about this openly and vent it out :-) I appreciate you sharing your story, and feel for your situation. People said to me that DAing was selfish and that I should have just faded, even though they knew how I felt. I said to them "What is more selfish? Me seeking my mental heatlh, or you asking me to live a lie because it suits you?" Still never had a decent answer.

I really enjoyed this comment you made: "Although I lost the close relationship with my father for over 30 years I always felt that it was not by my doing and he chose to shun because he honestly believed what he was doing was right and I had no control over that." I liked it because if this is how it ends up with mum and me, I too will know that it was her choice, not mine, and that I did everything I could to prevent it and remain sane.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that ;-)

So here is some more.......news......

It has been a weird couple of weeks. After getting things to what I thought was a good spot as described above, about a week later I got a text message from mum asking me to not contact her for a while as she needs to "sort some things out". I replied and said "Well, no actually, you are too important to me to cut out of my life so I will continue to text you and email you like normal". By the way, its not like we text or email each other 5 times a day or anything. It is usually maybe once a weekish.

Anyway, she replied and said "I didn't mean forever, I just meant for a little while as I process stuff." I sent back pretty much the same reply saying that I would keep in touch as normal.

To be honest I haven't done that at all. I have not felt the motivation to email her or text her. I guess ultimately I am afraid that it might prompt a total cut off. So now I am stuck in that limbo where I'm thinking should I contact her, should I not? Goddamn organisation, seriously.

And then out of the blue she posted a comment on my blog the other day: "OMG ha ha, love mum xxx"

O.o

So confused right now!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

WS to his mumsy: w hy field service hours are the measure of spiritual worth

Because they have no clue as to how to appraise a person's true spirituality.

What is really weird it this (generally) unasked question: Why do the elders (or anyone for that matter) think it's any of their effing business to assess the spirituality of anyone else?

Go find a mirror, then Shut the Front Door. I feel a draft in here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit