The New Diary of Winston Smith

by WinstonSmith 336 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

WS's Mumsy: She then said exactly what I thought she would say: We have just had a run of WT study articles that show clearly from the scriptures that there is a precedent for a small group to be over others.

No, no and HELL NO!

We "just had a run of WT study articles that show clearly" that the WT leadership have been wrong about their own prophetic identity for nearly 100 years.

If what they are teaching NOW is correct, then what is it that they were teaching BEFORE?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

WS's Mumsy: she believes that Jehovah has an organisation on earth, and even if they do things imperfectly she still believes we are in the time of the end, that Armageddon will come and people will live on earth.

Fine, but why is it that if anyone of us individuals disagree with ANYTHING they say--even though the July 15th, 2013 WT proves they've been wrong about a whole heck of a lot of things for the last 100 years--we will be disfellowshipped and shunned by our family, loved ones and friends?

Why can they be wrong yet can't be questioned? What is the scriptural precedent for that? The only group I ever read about in the Bible that could not tolerate questions were the Pharisees, Saducees and other religious leaders that put Jesus to death for pointing out their hypocrisy.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

WS's Mumsy: then asked an honest questions: “You don’t believe in it and you feel so strongly about it that you have to DA even knowing what I have to do if you do? I can see why you are upset with the elders and congregation. I admire you for your honesty and for sticking up for what you believe in, but why not just stay inactive when you know full well that we won’t be able to have contact when you DA?”

Winston, I know you love your mum. And I don't mean her any personal disrespect because I know she is a victim of cult mind-control.

But what she said is complete and utter bullshit. She has a choice. She could choose what is right. But she is choosing to choose this organization or truth. Shunning you should just make it personal for her, but apparently it's not enough.

PS - My own children chose the cult over me, so I know what power they have over the minds of millions.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Winston Smith: "well thats not what the society teaches"

That's right. It's not about WHAT is right, it is about WHO is in power.

Doctrine is irrelevant. I think the July 15th, 2013 Watchtower conclusively proves that, at least for anyone with an independent thought in their head.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

WS's Mumsy: She said that she read through it but would have to do it again later to think about it properly.

For a JW, "properly" only means to understand it the way the GB/FDS wants you to understand it.

Anyone "not under the influence" can easily see that nothing they say makes any sense.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Winston Smith: Honesty comes at great cost in the organisation.

Yes it does. Those of us that have paid the price no of what you speak.

it is sadly ironic that an organization that makes a lot of noise about "The Truth" has no appreciation for it.

It's all just window dressing.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Winston Smith: The struggle she is having is trying to figure out how she can continue to show me the love that she has but not break any rules of the org.

A year or so ago I had the quite devastating realization that I was better at teaching my children BELIEFS than I was at teaching them LOVE.

I am trying to rectify that now. I am not having much success.

I fear for my children.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

WS's Mumsy: Her response was simple: “Ditto”

I'm jealous, but you inspire me with hope.

We must never give up hope on those we love. Please keep posting.

Oubliette

• Watkins
    Watkins

2 Corinthians 1:23 Now, are you ready for the real reason I didn’t visit you in Corinth? As God is my witness, the only reason I didn’t come was to spare you pain. I was being considerate of you, not indifferent, not manipulative.

24 We’re not in charge of how you live out the faith, looking over your shoulders, suspiciously critical. We’re partners, working alongside you, joyfully expectant. I know that you stand by your own faith, not by ours.

2 Corinthians 2 1-2 That’s why I decided not to make another visit that could only be painful to both of us. If by merely showing up I would put you in an embarrassingly painful position, how would you then be free to cheer and refresh me?

3-4 That was my reason for writing a letter instead of coming—so I wouldn’t have to spend a miserable time disappointing the very friends I had looked forward to cheering me up. I was convinced at the time I wrote it that what was best for me was also best for you. As it turned out, there was pain enough just in writing that letter, more tears than ink on the parchment. But I didn’t write it to cause pain; I wrote it so you would know how much I care—oh, more than care—love you!

5-8 Now, regarding the one who started all this—the person in question who caused all this pain—I want you to know that I am not the one injured in this as much as, with a few exceptions, all of you. So I don’t want to come down too hard. What the majority of you agreed to as punishment is punishment enough. Now is the time to forgive this man and help him back on his feet. If all you do is pour on the guilt, you could very well drown him in it. My counsel now is to pour on the love.

9-11 The focus of my letter wasn’t on punishing the offender but on getting you to take responsibility for the health of the church. So if you forgive him, I forgive him. Don’t think I’m carrying around a list of personal grudges. The fact is that I’m joining in with your forgiveness, as Christ is with us, guiding us. After all, we don’t want to unwittingly give Satan an opening for yet more mischief—we’re not oblivious to his sly ways! [msg]

Winston - wow! I just read all 15 pages of this thread - what stamina you have, and with what love and patience you reason with your Mom! You ARE getting somewhere with her, I just feel it. In an earlier post you said that there is no scriptural basis for the jw shunning process and you are spot-on. I found it astounding when, after leaving the mind-control of the wt, there seemed to be so many scriptures that I didn't even know were in the Bible - so many that the wt doesn't highlight simply because they are the opposite of what they teach. So many they just grind away on, usually taken completely out of context, as you well know.

1 Cor. 1:23 - 2 Cor. 2::11 that I posted above is one of those that jumped off the page at me, hidden in plain sight - and this is another:

• Mark 9:38-41 John spoke up, “Teacher, we saw a man using your name to expel demons and we stopped him because he wasn’t in our group.” Jesus wasn’t pleased. “Don’t stop him. No one can use my name to do something good and powerful, and in the next breath cut me down. If he’s not an enemy, he’s an ally. Why, anyone by just giving you a cup of water in my name is on our side. Count on it that God will notice. [msg]
    • Love and forgiveness, 2 of Jesus' most important teachings... the wt turns into hate and resentment through cognitive dissonance. You are steadily chipping away at their ridiculousness and soon your Mom will see clearly without the wt spectacles. Don't give up - we all once thought the same way about the org., and it was difficult and somewhat painful, but we finally did it!
    • The best to you and yours - I will add you all to my prayers.
    • Watkins
  • Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Winston, I am looking forward to hearing the rest of your diary and I hope you can reach your mom and your sister. Please keep us updated on how it is going. I would not let too much time pass before you contact her again, you want her real personality to continue so she is open to the real truth. Best wishes to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit