SAD news about OOMPA......

by redredrose 630 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

I haven't been on JWN much lately, and in recent years post much less. I just saw this horrible, horrible news. My heart goes out to Eric and those who loved him.

RIP, my friend.

jv

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

FlyingHigh - I appreciate your thoughtful post. I am a mental health worker by profession, and I have a particular interest in suicide. There is an important discussion to be had around the idea of suicide and "right to die" in the case of terminal illness. Mental illness is a disease, a terrible one. Add physical pain and injury to the mix and many sufferers see no way out. I completely agree with your perspective on Oompa.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I am sad to see him go and that it took his passing to get to know him better but heartened by how much closer he has made us all.

• z-monster
    z-monster

I have lurked on this site and its predecessor since shortly after the U.N. fiasco. Oompa's story is very moving. I cannot imagine how much intestinal fortitude it took for him to get out of bed every morning. To all of Oompa's friends and family, you have my deepest sympathy, May he finally be at peace.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHigh - I appreciate your thoughtful post. I am a mental health worker by profession, and I have a particular interest in suicide. There is an important discussion to be had around the idea of suicide and "right to die" in the case of terminal illness. Mental illness is a disease, a terrible one. Add physical pain and injury to the mix and many sufferers see no way out. I completely agree with your perspective on Oompa.

Thank you. I was hoping it would make sense and be helpful.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

@Z-Monster:

I have lurked on this site and its predecessor since shortly after the U.N. fiasco. Oompa's story is very moving. I cannot imagine how much intestinal fortitude it took for him to get out of bed every morning. To all of Oompa's friends and family, you have my deepest sympathy, May he finally be at peace.

Welcome to JWN! Oompa would be thrilled that you've been reading here and that he prompted your first post here!

• redredrose
    redredrose

FHN, reading your post, tears are flowing. So moving. Having suffered cancer, your words are so appropo, just so right.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    FHN, reading your post, tears are flowing. So moving. Having suffered cancer, your words are so appropo, just so right.

I'm glad it helped you. I hope things are looking up for you now. I had concerns that some might not understand what I was trying to say or why.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am very very upset and sad about the outcome of our friend Eric. It makes me feel part of a community to see so many others coming to this discussion thread to talk about our friend; this is the only positive outcome of this horrible event.

But, those in similar situations please do not consider suicide as an acceptable option. Suicide is an unacceptable option - Period.

Many on this board have gone through unmentionable horrors in their quest for freedom and many of us have considered giving up; but we carry on.

Please do not give up. If I had one last conversation with Eric, it would be - dont give up. There really is an end to the pain. Actually, this was the general theme of our off line discussions.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Google "Eric Hampton Reeder" and look at the results.... He has made the topic of several web sites on the internet... BTW, Oompa was wonderful to talk to, you could tell his heart was in the right place.. His wit and humor will be greatly missed on this board and beyond.. My last convo with him was great, I had called him when I was having a difficult time. I was trying to hold back tears and not let him know that I was actually bawling my eyes out... before the call was over I felt good again... Oompa had made my day... And I am positively sure that I am not the only person he has helped..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit