wts made a video about masturbation IN SIGN LANGUAGE, WITH GESTURES

by rebel8 293 Replies latest members adult

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

JP said it right. My wife is a child of deaf parents and a teacher of the deaf in Montreal. I'll get her reaction later.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I too feel somewhat sorry for the interpreters. They probably got a call from hq giving them the honor of interpreting for their new website and didn't realize what they were getting into. But they certainly didn't seem hesitant. They just went with it. lol

I only post to explain that there's actually nothing disturbing or disgusting about this video from a Deaf person's perspective, whether or not he's a JW.

Welcome JeanPicard (and awesome username btw). I hope you keep posting.

Thanks for your insight. I went to a sign language class briefly as a du b becaue I was supposed to become an interpreter. IIRC it was not ASL and we were told that was "too expressive for the hall and assemblies". My class, and all the interpreters I ever remember seeing in dubbery, was for the other language (whose name escapes me atm--need to finish my coffee).

It's cool the community is not so uptight. I have no problem watching this as an adult with fair warning & I can click my mouse if it becomes offensive. I still think it's inappropriate to show around children or others who feel it's offensive but stay because they feel an obligation not to walk out. I just can't imagine any one good reason for this to be discussed in a place of worship to the general audience. Even if it was a private meeting for just young boys or something, I still think that should be the parents'--and only the parents'--role. It's creepy to me.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    As uncomfortable as this subject might be, deaf people need to know this because it would be terrible for them to end up being blind as well as deaf.

rofl

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

My wife just watched the video. Regardless of the sentiments being expressed, it's beautiful and flawless ASL

• Scully
    Scully

When I was a lot younger than I am now and my parents wanted to discuss something that I wasn't supposed to know about, they would spell the key words out during conversation. Stuff like "You are being a J-A-C-K-A-S-S" or "Your mother wants us to V-I-S-I-T at C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S."

I would be inclined, were I a sign language interpreter in the presence of an audience with young children, to finger spell words that are intended for adult conversations. Just like I would not appreciate my child overhearing a swear word and then repeating it in an inappropriate setting, to see a graphic ASL word in a house of worship would convey to the child that it is okay to "show off" what he/she knows about ASL in an inappropriate setting.

• Fernando
    Fernando

"As uncomfortable as this subject might be, deaf people need to know this because it would be terrible for them to end up being blind as well as deaf."

Priceless, exwhyzee!

(For those not aware, there was a time when religionists spread a teaching that masturbation can lead to blindness. Seriously. I guess we now have a handle on how to explain the spiritual blindness of the Watchtower Sanhedrin and Pharisees. )

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

OK! I posted that link in another thread here. We had a discussion about this video in our XJW-forum "Hjälpkällan" here in Sweden some months ago. My intention was not to offend deaf people or the deaf community. I'm sorry if it offended some people here. I really hope that Jean Picard was not offended. But for a "haering" person it just gives a really absurd impression. I think a lot of people became really surprized watcing it......but I understand that it may not be so "absurd" to persons in the deaf community.

So...if we laugh at this video, it's not for being disrespectful for the deaf community!

• Scott77
    Scott77

So...if we laugh at this video, it's not for being disrespectful for the deaf community!
    Dismissing servant

No, do not feel that way. On the contrary, you had done a great service to all Deaf Community irrespective of their religious standing. And by extension, all lovers of Sign Language, their parents, supporters, ASL teachers, as well as all the curious minds. My feelings is that, the offending party in this instance is the video creator, the Watchtower that is attempting to control the sex lives of Deaf People who are already sexually repressed within the Watchtower world in particular, and the hearing community in general.

Scott77

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

It is odd that if a hearing person made those same gestures in the KH then they would be hauled off into the back room and severely censured, ....but a deaf person could?

• Scott77
    Scott77

This is a facebook link to Deaf Ex-Jehovah's Witness. http://www.facebook.com/groups/208366765862822/ I am surprised, some asl videos were taken down upon request from the Watchtower. Sigh.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit