By What Authority?

by Orthodox1 183 Replies latest jw friends

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

aint THAT the truth?

once again...we start off with...the question of how jws can claim they are the one and only

then somehow lanch into catholics being the one and only?

off the same book?

when they do the same things? i hate that cult with a passion and am disgusted entirely with the gb. that said, despite how horrific their monetary practices are....don't they still begrudgingly "donate" the occassional penny from their coffers to help others?

the irony in that is jst too much to start with, bt then the crying over persecution when they've done PLENTY of that themselves is just beyond ridiclous.

oh bt wait...others have done it so you can't blame us!

or

hey that was a long time ago! different time and era!

pullllllleeeeeeeeeeeze. before THAT time and era, their god was telling peter to put his sword back in his pants and refusing to defend himself when he could have called down fireballs from heaven. very christian of them, those catholic crusaders...

part of me feels kind of off for going so hard on catholicism. i've nothing against it, but the whole conversation is jsut beyond insulting. someone has to hit back for the slaughtered heathens

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Sooooo

We have a church that sets up schools and churches and teaches a bunch of profoundly poor people that birth control and condems (for disease control) are evil, in countries that are ravaged by AIDS and hunger. Then they pass out rice to tons of poor children whose parents cannot afford to feed them, and set up hospitals to take care of AIDS patients---and we are supposed to give them kudos for that?

I'm just not seeing it.

Call stating facts persecution if you like. I know some people need to feel persecuted. But it is what it is. I am not impressed.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I would submit to you to take a stab and read St. Thomas Aquinas. But I warn you, his writings have converted many a militant atheists.

got some proof of that?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

i hate that cult with a passion and am disgusted entirely with the gb. that said, despite how horrific their monetary practices are....don't they still begrudgingly "donate" the occassional penny from their coffers to help others?

JWs mostly help their own in areas devastated by natural disasters, eg Katrina. When my Mom was sick with cancer, many of the members of the congregation prepared meals to help the family; it was a good thing for us.

I don't think JWs feel the need to engage in humanitarian stuff like helping the non-JW poor or homeless, etc. Perhaps that's a part of Jesus' message that most modern Xians feel they're able to overlook (you know, the types of Xians who feel that BELIEVING in Jesus is enough to earn their salvation).

the irony in that is jst too much to start with, bt then the crying over persecution when they've done PLENTY of that themselves is just beyond ridiclous.

Claiming early Xian martyrs as "Catholic" fatalities is a bit much.... Show me a Xian religion which DOESN'T point to those Xian martyrs as "their" brothers and sisters. I dare say they've killed as many Muslim infidels as have been killed (and let's not forget the Children's Crusade).

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Maybe paganism was superior to the Bible. When Christopher Columbus arrived in America the Indians were practicing brutal human sacrifices. Maybe they should have been left alone

Interesting. A few select cultures did practice this, but you seem to be stating that on this very large continent, this was common practice all over. Human sacrifice is so much worse than Inquistions, witch burnings, slavery, etc. Those damn primitives---no respect for human life. Thank goodness something superior came along and wiped out their numbers and taught them a better way.

Superior much? Christianity has a long and bloody history with a wide sphere of misery. You can believe it is a better way for you if you like, but thinking it is superior to the native religions and cultures it crushed is just quaint.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i think this is a case of self fulfilling prophecy.

i think people woldn't "bring the hate" if religious people would push their views into and onto everyone else. i highly sspect if i were to come on here saying that protestants were the one true religion, i'd get shit for it too.

i'm a milllion percent certain if a mormon or scientologist were to come on here espousing that same viewpoint, they'd catch a whole lot more than the couple posters who bothered to respond.

if you're going to insult other people, expect to get some push back.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Has the hate begun yet...just checking in case I miss it...

so far Ive got...

Christians were martyrs....and catholics went on crusades to murder millions of innocent people...and they are all catholics and part of the real church..its that right?

Natives had barbaric practices like sacrificing humans....catholics had barbaric practices like burning innocent men, women and children and justifying this by calling them witches....is that right?

The catholic church is the only 'true' religion...because all the other ones are false? because the Catholics say so...is that right?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Let me see if I can help, ST. You see, the Catholic church is the true and superior church. Or perhaps all of Christianity is. It depends on who you talk to. However those barbaric Pagans were doing just awful things. But the Chrisitans were also doing awful things. Now when a primitive, backward, barbaric does awful things, it is because they have a inferior relgion and culture. When a Christian does an awful thing, especially when it is condoned by their church, then there is one of two possiblities. Because their religion or culture is superior, and they serve the true god, those awful things aren't really awful because they are motivated by righteousness. OR they are simply imperfect people that claimed to be Christian and maybe were not real Christians, and so the Churches hold no responsiblity.

To review.

Pagans---do bad things because their religion is BAD.

Chrisitans---do bad things because they aren't really bad but for righteousness sake, OR do bad things because they are not really good Christians.

Do you understand now? HORRORS are much more forgivable when the superior religion is responsible for them, and much worse when the inferior religion is responsible.

• still thinking
    still thinking

You're just saying that because you used to be a JW New Chapter...

Catholics NEVER killed people

Catholics NEVER tortured people

Catholics NEVER burned people at the stake

Catholics NEVER ran brothels to help pay for the building of St Peters

Catholics NEVER supported slavery

Catholic popes NEVER had mistressess while condemning others for behaving like that.

Catholic priests NEVER abused children

Catholic vatican never sucked the life blood from people to collect ritches, build their own city and create their own bank.

History is wrong...Catholics are the real church. Praise Jah.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

you mean praise the father son and the holy spirit!

gotta be catholic or be smitten.

and i'm not talking about smitten in love...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit