By What Authority?

by Orthodox1 183 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Orthodox 1, by what authority did the catholic church torture or burn people at the stake, or go to war and kill and claim it all in God's name? I am not going to talk about individual people doing things to harm others, because that is on those people. But the rest of it?

I don't think it matters WHO can trace their origins back to the first christians. Anyone can do that.... simply by also belonging to Christ and God, with or without the sanction of any church or 'authority' other than Christ or God.

It is not numbers that matter. It is not the sanction of men that matters. Faith in Christ and God matters; hearing their call, and answering that call, matters.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Okay Orthodox---so I agree that the sun theory was worthy until disproven. And really, how much did it affect daily life?

And clearly you have a few things against choice---and since you view it as murder, then I completely understand your strong emotions. I disagree with you, but if this was how I viewed it, I would feel like you do.

Moving ON:

Something that affects daily life today, has no apparent scriptural basis and is simple tradition, throws people into poverty and suffering. BAN ON BIRTH CONTROL.

Now we know that most American Catholics simply disregard the prohibition---because they are pretty informed and would like some control over their lives. but this evil doctrine is being taught to some of the most vulnerable people on earth.

Okay---so you think an embryo is a life. I don't. But I do think that a child born is a life, and that this should be done with some purpose if possible, and that if it means the parents will not be able to care for, feed and protect that child then teaching an ignorant, evil, unforigivable prohibition against birth control to these people is one of the most dispicable things they have done in recent history. It's bad enough they are trying to interfere with healthcare coverage in the US, but at least we aren't as vulnerable as some populations to these backward, ingnorant, harmful teachings.

NC

• Prognoser
    Prognoser

tec, my two cents: there are oodles of examples in the Bible where God uses imperfect people, even corrupt kings to carry out his will. The Catholic Church is no angel, but it has more or less carried out the will of God, has it not? Give God a break. He is forced to deal with imperfect people.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

wait...if the roman catholic church is the one tre church

and god gives it his blessing

shouldn't they have KNOWN not to call galileo a heretic? wouldn't GOD have stopped that one if he was blessing the church?

how about copernicus?

seems like the church has been busy stamping out the truth for a very long time.

as far as abortion...what the hell makes you think i like it? how moronic is that?

yeaaaaaaaaa let's pass out abortions like candy! because ANYONE who doesn't believe exactly as orthodox1 and the other hipocritical catholics LOVE abortion and we're all out there just being immoral pagans!

and you wonder why when catholics would come through forcing conversion, the natives fought back? do you really not understand WHY people would find that offensive?

let's not forget you said this:

I see the Catholic Church, over hundreds of years, slowly assuming all of the Roman Pagan world into herself, destroying the Pagan world as it was known

and apostatethunder said this:

Maybe paganism was superior to the Bible. When Christopher Columbus arrived in America the Indians were practicing brutal human sacrifices. Maybe they should have been left alone.
    Pagan morals are also much more fun than the Christian ones, just don’t expect the same level of spiritual development or even trustworthiness from a temple prostitute, than from a Christian. If you extrapolate this to the type of society they produce, you can see clearly which one is superior to the other.

you know, i'd rather protect the rights of the mother than be wrong about denying homosexuals their right to a happy relationship with the protections under law that are every bit their right.

i'd rather be wrong about the termination of a fetus than be wrong about the enslavement of millions while using the bible to justify those awful and disgusting actions. perhaps you should watch something like la amistad. get some perspective outside those jewish fairytales for once.

i'd rather be wrong abotu which god to serve than to serve one who gives his blessings to a church that has mercilessly tortured any unbelievers with these lovely devices:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatican/esp_vatican29.htm#The%20Tortures

i'd rather burn in hell than worship a god that turns a blind eye to his priests sodomizing little boys for decades:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/the-silence/timeline/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3872499.stm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126160853

...anxiously awaiting the hate now...

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Prognoser said:

tec, my two cents: there are oodles of examples in the Bible where God uses imperfect people, even corrupt kings to carry out his will. The Catholic Church is no angel, but it has more or less carried out the will of God, has it not? Give God a break. He is forced to deal with imperfect people.

Uh, then maybe God should have made PERFECT people and PERFECT angels.

Buck-passing is really hard to do, esp when the same individual (God) wants to take all the credit and glory for making all of this, including man....

• tec
    tec

I think Prognoser was being sarcastic/ironic... since that reasoning is what the WTS uses.

Peace,

tammy

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I think Prognoser was being sarcastic/ironic... since that reasoning is what the WTS uses.

Ahh, I see.... Altough, WTBTS has no monopoly on that approach: if you haven't noticed, the entire Bible is full of "man is not worthy!" stuff, where it's man's fault that he is a sinner....

Hard to keep track of who's ideology is who's, esp when the irony is not indicated by a winkie...

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

lol

i would have missed that too

you know, i'm thinking of starting my own church.

the church of ren and stimpy.

the authority bestowed upon me wold be ren, stimpy and i wonder if john kricfalusi wold bless me

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Rbih, movies are not always accurate accounts of history. Amistad is one of those movies, where Queen Elizabeth of Spain is portrayed as a girl playing with dolls at the time of the slave trade, when she lived a few centuries earlier. That among many other inconsistencies.

Do some research before coming to any conclusions after watching any movie.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hmmmm. I looked up the Atlantic Slave trade, and it was in progress from the 16th century to the 19th century. Elisabeth, Queen consort of Spain lived in the late 16th century. Is there an earlier Elisabeth of Spain? Perhaps I looked up the wrong person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit