By What Authority?

by Orthodox1 183 Replies latest jw friends

• Orthodox1
    Orthodox1

The JWs, Catholics, Mormons, and a handful of others say they are the "true Church" or what Jesus originally intended. I know JWs call themselves the "true Christians". By what authority - outside of the Bible, since 41,000 denominations use the Bible to back up their individual beliefs - can JWs make this claim? Thanks!

• Fernando
    Fernando

Equating the church (ekklesia, believers or body of Christ) with (a particular) religion (or building, or organisation) is unscriptural and heresy (apostasy).

• Sulla
    Sulla

Well, this outta be interesting...

• zeb
    zeb

speaking of authority I just come across a frightening thing called the MJTF (Google it ) a supposed world police force that is being put in place to do very nasty things to everyone that some power group dont like. Utterly chilling stuff.

Hey Jesus are you watching this?

• jay88
    jay88

Taken from: http://jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/230653/1/Blondies-Comments-You-Will-Not-Hear-at-the-08-19-2012-WT-Review-SERVICE paragraphs 13-14

Jehovah’s organization = only the WTS per JESUS anointing in 1919

Jesus is said to have chosen the Watchtower Society as his only means of salvation because it was the only organization providing food at the proper time, and so justly appointed over all Jesus belongings.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think they believe that they were commissioned to speak to all of the nations by God in 1919.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Same place those 41,000 other religions (including Catholics) did: a voice in someone's head told them so....

You cannot disprove it, so there ya' go.

• binadub
    binadub

That's why they cling to the 1914 parousia doctrine for life, in abject denial of the facts that expose their flawed historical chronology.
    It is their claim to being uniquely aware of Christ's return and therefore being appointed as His "faithful and discreet slave" upon his return.

If they ever relinquish that 1914 doctrine, they relinquish their claim to having been divinely appoint to preach "the good news" of Christ's return and his soon-to-be kindgom established.

The clock is ticking . . . the sands of the hourglass are falling . . .

~Binadub

• Isidore
    Isidore

"The JWs, Catholics, Mormons, and a handful of others say they are the "true Church" or what Jesus originally intended. I know JWs call themselves the "true Christians". By what authority - outside of the Bible, since 41,000 denominations use the Bible to back up their individual beliefs - can JWs make this claim? Thanks!"

They can't. Shew! That was easy.

• Isidore
    Isidore

"Equating the church (ekklesia, believers or body of Christ) with (a particular) religion (or building, or organisation) is unscriptural and heresy (apostasy)."

Actually, making this arguement is apostasy. The concept of an "invisible Church" was unknown until the last century.

Matthew 16:16-20

[16]Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. [17] And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. [18] And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. [20] Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ.

When Christ gave the following instructions to His apostles, to whom was He referring?

Matthew 18:15-17

[15] But if thy brother shall offend against thee, go, and rebuke him between thee and him alone. If he shall hear thee, thou shalt gain thy brother.

[16] And if he will not hear thee, take with thee one or two more: that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may stand. [17] And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.

So imagine the year is 1750 and a non-Christian who converts to Christ wishes to be faithful to Christ's instructions here. To which church should he go? Think about it....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit