I Believe Catholicism And Its Trappings Are Silly, Strange & Weird!!!

by minimus 306 Replies latest jw friends

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Diest, we are not living in the middle ages now. People that want to bring the Church down nowadays don’t do so for whatever happened 500 years ago, they do it because they have a political agenda and the Church is an obstacle for that agenda. It is as simple as this.

The Vatican is not a corporation, sorry, it is a State, and it holds the culture, history and traditions of Europe and therefore of our Western society. What they stand for is human rights, charity, education, and individual freedoms.

The WT does not even compute in a barometer against it.

• Isidore
    Isidore

If the Catholic Church was as perfect as it detractors would have it to be, they themsleves would not be allowed in it. It is because it has sinners that it has a place for you and for me.

I think all of us on this forum (most especially myself!) are sinners. Christ came for sinners. He never promised that no one would ever sin in His Church. It amazes me how people will point to the few that have grossly sinned and ignore the overwhelming amount of saintly poeple that it has produced, as if it is a all or nothing, zero sum exercise.

• Diest
    Diest

Yeah, what was the Irish political agenda when they canceled their diplomatic mission with the Vatican? Spend less money, and tired of a "state" that covered over the abuse of children.

I know about their charity here in the US, it is primarily tax payer funded. The American public owns 62% of the charity arm, but they complain when the government tried to ask them to give birth control to non-Catholic employees. I am thankful for the 3% of donations comeing from Diocesan funding.

This is from the Catholic Charities website.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

The Irish should ask themselves why the authorities did nothing in the case of the abuses, because it seems they knew what was going on.

Unfortunately there are paedophiles everywhere, not only in the Church. Something to consider in view of the above.

• Diest
    Diest

The culture of silence that was created by the government and the church was a powerful thing. It is hard to remove government from our lives, much easier to purge religion.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Much better to punish the guilty and leave everyone else alone.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The Vatican is not a corporation, sorry, it is a State, and it holds the culture, history and traditions of Europe and therefore of our Western society. What they stand for is human rights, charity, education, and individual freedoms.

The Vatican is a city built on money grabbing, torture, murder, and prostitution...thats HOW it became a city.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hypocrisy. What better place for hypocrites than church? Don't they need it the most? Church is a spiritual hospital: it's not for the perfect. You go to church to heal. Jehovah's Witnesses are the only "church" I've attended where everyone went around pretending they were all 98% perfect. And the gov bod perpetuates that myth that witnesses are so much more better at being Christians.

• Sulla
    Sulla

NC, I don't necessarily think you just too the JWs word for antipathy for Catholics. It does seem to be an interesting exception to the process by which nearly everything else they taught has been rejected. So many xJWs still hold that anti-Catholicism -- that's interesting to me. Could be, stopped clocks are right twice a day, etc.

Or, it could be the general idea I have been suggesting here for a while now: Jw-ism is a thing that tends to attract certain personality types. When people leave the JWs, they don't change their personality; they remain who they always have been. I don't view that as a controversial idea, everyone has their own stories about how difficult it is to stop thinking like a JW -- down to things like their vocabulary.

If JW-ism tends to attract anti-religious, utopian, Manichean types, then you would expect to find certain political and religious viewpoints to obtain whether these are JWs or xJWs. Certainly, you could expect to find antipathy toward the Church, which is religious, anti-utopian, anti-Manichean.

Of course, in any population of sufficient size, you'd expect to find considerable variation in these attitudes. But at least they are testable hypotheses: we could do a test to find whether anti-Catholic attitudes are more deeply felt among XJWs than among the population at large and correlate them with the attitudes toward Catholics among current JWs.

• still thinking
    still thinking

But at least they are testable hypotheses: we could do a test to find whether anti-Catholic attitudes are more deeply felt among XJWs than among the population at large and correlate them with the attitudes toward Catholics among current JWs.

I dunno sula....why don't you see what former Catholics have to say....

http://www.formercatholic.com/

http://www.experienceproject.com/groups/Am-An-Angry-Ex-catholic/329390

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit