I Believe Catholicism And Its Trappings Are Silly, Strange & Weird!!!

by minimus 306 Replies latest jw friends

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Very good video, of the Catholic church trying to defend itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnerPDY87mM

• Isidore
    Isidore

"has it ever occurred to you that your "truth" doesn't work for everyone?"

Ah, the classic Relativsim response.

Relativism, of course, is self-refuting. I'm reminded of the statement in the book Situation Ethics where the author says that we should avoid absolutes like the plague. Which of course he holds as absolutely true. Relativists tell us that we should be relative all the time, and only a position that teaches that truth is relative is a correct position. They are telling us with a straight face that ‘all truth is relative' which is really saying ‘it is absolutely true that all truth is relative.' Of course, what they mean is that all of the other person's truth is relative, but their own position should be held by all people everywhere. They hold truth as relative, except for their own values about truth, which cannot be challenged. If we say to them that we believe the opposite of what they believe, they respond with a combination of indignation and disbelief.

In reality, all truth, if it is true, is absolute, and true for all people everywhere. If you challenge this, I ask you this: Is the opposite of your position false, or is it true also?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

lol you REALLY don't want me to answer that question...

• Isidore
    Isidore

"lol you REALLY don't want me to answer that question..."

Humor this poor stooge, as you called me, and allow me your wisdom and insight.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

well let's start with your first assumption that i'm in line with whatever the relativist is.

i'm not.if there's any similarities, consider it coincidence.

my position is this, there are obvious absolute truths and realities. 2+2=4. that is truth. radioactive decay, etc.

the universe has certain truths and operates with those laws.

as for religion and philosophy, you can believe whatever the hell you want to, it doesn't make it true. if it's true to you and you aren't pushing it on me, we're good. if your beliefs are true to you and we're not making public policy based on it, then we're good and as long as you aren't looking down on others on the assumption that your beliefs are somehow more true than others, we're good.

unfortunately that is very much not the case. you happen to think that your truths are somehow better than others, at the very least agnostics.

so let me break it down for you.

it's not.

in fact, your "truths" have no more credibility than santa claus and the easter bunny. you believe a man literally walked on water yes? where is your proof? you believe that this man healed the blind with spit and muc correct? you believe this man raised others from the dead, the literal dead am i right?

these events are not possible. it never happened. plain and simple.

a woman never turned into salt. the red sea never parted for a bunch of refugees. we can't even find evidence that these refugees wandered about the wilderness for 40 years. a man was not swallowed by a fish/whale/sea creature and spit out alive 3 days later so he could continue his journey. there was no family that survived in a boat that literally could NOT have been constructed out of wood due to the size and demands placed upon that boat. nor did that family get two of every creature and put them on the boat.

a donkey, did NOT start talking to it's master.

i could go on and on and on, but that would take forever and a day. the point is, the bible has no more credibility than aesop's fables and if you chose to believe it, fine. if it makes you feel better, cool.

what's NOT cool is when you try to push your belief in that book which has ZERO credibility and very little real truth in it, as an absolute truth and then force others into believing these things while trying to shape public policy based on these myths/fables.

so to be clear, you may believe anything you want, that doesn't make it real or true in any way, shape or form. the bible, both old and new testament, or hebrew/greek, however you want to call it...is a collection of myths. nothing more, nothing less. if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy that's fantastic, but all that warmth and fuzziness doesn't make it real. not even close

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Rbih, what is moral? On what should we base our policies? If you lived in a community that believed scamming you was ok, would it make them right the fact that they were the majority? What is it that gives moral authority?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

you should base it on reality and not on mythology

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit