I Believe Catholicism And Its Trappings Are Silly, Strange & Weird!!!

by minimus 306 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I Believe Catholicism And Its Trappings Are Silly, Strange & Weird!!!

You've had a bizarre anticatholic fixation on here for years.

To each his own.

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think it's bizarre. (no more bizarre fixation than many of us to against the WT.)

• minimus
    minimus

FTFY, naught boy...UC.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Well you have to admit that Catholic rituals are far more interesting than Witness rituals. Rites, memorized prayers in Latin, the Uniforms and statues, pipe organs, the Vatican, the Vatican Museam, St Petes Basillica, the Cistine Chapel, Crucifixes, Exorcisms - its all so awesome!

Never mind that a few people got burned to the stake once in a while - its all a part of the fun! :-)

• minimus
    minimus

I do admit, I'd love to see the Vatican. I just wouldn't start feeling "spiritual", I'm sure.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Minimus,

I highly recommend visiting it once. It just blew me away. Never had that spiritual feeling, but rather more amazement and awestruck at the scale and grandure and beauty of it all. Rivals all of the grand palaces I have ever laid my eyes on,,,,,,

• undercover
    undercover

The Vatican is impressive. I thoroughly enjoyed going there... but in the end, I was amazed at how much money the Catholic church has tied up in not just Vatican City, but all it's holdings throughout Europe.

Seeing firsthand how the Catholic church has amassed great wealth in creating ornate palaces to themselves instead of following Jesus' example of helping the poor and sick, it has done the opposite of inspiring me to see the 'church' as anything more than what I see the WTS... money grubbing, power wielding control freaks. They've just had two thousand years longer to get the job done (not to mention a few cruades, inquistions and countless deaths to apostates and heretics)

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Undercover,

Totally agree with that, they have dilligently spent two thousand years raping, pillaging and plundering all of the major art works of the world. Kind of like the British that stole so many of the worlds treasures and carted them off to British Museums. Its unbeleiveable how much Rome has aquired.

But in the end its all an enterprising business isnt it?

• Sulla
    Sulla

Stop the press, lots of guys steeped in anti-Catholicism as JWs remain anti-Catholic! Who'da guessed?

As for the rituals, I don't suppose I'd expect most xJWs to grasp them; even for me it takes getting used to, but we have all been subjected to the anti-religion / anti-philosophy that is the JW mindset. And Catholicism is a whole different mode of experiencing the world than most JWs are ever used to. I might experience the same thing if I were put back in time and witnessed a Roman or Jewish sacrifice. But, were I to see one and complain that I didn't experience a "religious feeling," I would know that's because my understanding of the people was deficient.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Sulla,

I really dont have a problem with Catholics or the Religion itself. It is more open minded in reality than JWs' are. Not as controlling at least the Modern Church. I understand the appeal of Catholisim and why a lot of people who are Jack Catholics and dont believe all the teaching still want to call them selves Catholic.

It is a far richer heritage than any other "Christian" religion by a long shot,,,,,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit