The Governing Body intends to announce significant changes in academic literature (DOCTRINES) - Brazil

by Dogpatch 375 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

In the light of the Conti case the door-to-door ministry is a growing concern. The Watchtower argues that Kendrick was just a "rank-and-file member". Attorney Simmons claims Kendrickwas a minister engaged on behalf of the Watchtower as he went door-to-door. Other court rulings have indicated that "volunteer status" does not exempt organizations from liability.

I can see a challenge being the fact that what started as a normal way to peddle books at the turn of the century has evolved into a brand identity. The field service is a matter of pride for JW's who have the "we are the only ones doing this" mentality. Take away the field service and you lose a key component to the JW experience. Unless you replace it with something else it will leave them rather directionless. They no longer have a mission.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Based on the lawsuit loss from the Conti case, the ramifications and money loss included will be what is going to influence the change. It has to do with something legal. How elders/congregations are classed by the organization. How they are now all on their own in anything brought to court or something along those lines.

Which also introduces changes in door to door some way. I dont think they'll get rid of it But some type of change. Also have an itch about them auto DA ones that have been inactive over a year or after trying to initialize contact and with no response, DA on absent grounds? I really see them doing this, it goes with the stranglehold grip they have been exerting. This would need a prep-talk to elders as this would affect a metric shit ton.

Or, they could pull out the big one, THE GREAT TRIBULATION has started, circle the wagons, stop the preaching work, prepare to be persecuted and thrown in concentration camps all over the globe. Speaking on concentration camps, FEMA has them all over the US btw...

But hey, I've been accused of over speculating before, so whatever.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The Society has no interest in making doctrinal changes that clarify their beliefs or do any good for witnesses. The only doctrinal changes they are concerned with would be in reducing their financial liability from child abuse cases. Their entire purpose is to ensure survivability of the organization.

I find it hard to believe they would stop the preaching work, since so much of their identity is tied up in door-to-door ministry. And to stop the work would be tantamount to proclaiming the GT has started, which in turn starts an end-game timeline.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Evil is not so much personal but rather structural. It takes an organization to create real evil. They do bad things with good intentions.

I'm not saying to what degree they will actually help young people. But they can and probably will do better than they have. Nevertheless, believing in God will handicap them.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Any 'responsible' organization does not want anyone 'peddling,' presenting or representing that organization's product, name, or logo - "without authority and approval."

How does such an organization tell people to go door-to-door with organization literature, or 'tracts' and exacting message and such direction and yet claim those such individuals 'do not' represent the organization in any way. Truly, a contradiction.

In the Conti Case, the jury was 'aghast' that the JW organization would have (accepted) "pedophiles"coming at their door. Victoria, Australia are now requiring some JWs to have Background Check validations when "working with children." Will the Law in responsible countries and lands, required 'any' organization, religious or otherwise, require any such representatives to get an official Background Check.

The organization 'finally' is realizing their liability/responsibity in 'using' their workers (though for free), their 'rank & file.'

The Headquarters is upset that the Courts do not accept WT "rules." Some WT "rules" are against the Law, that's why. They have no alternative but to "be in subjection to the Law." Unless, they are willing to pay lawsuits and possibly go to prison, if they persist.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Can we get additional confirmation from other sources that this meeting will focus on "doctrinal" issues? I am sure that a leak specifying the information will get out before the Elder School.

SIAM

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Gayle,

In most places It' against the law to employ young children under a certain age

maybe young children out in service could be an issue also, just a thought

along wit them not reportin' child abuse

• sir82
    sir82

I could picture them requiring official background checks before allowing anyone to share in the door to door work.

If someone flunks it, or refuses to submit to it, they would be forced to do "alternate" forms of witnessing (letter writing, telephone, informal, etc.).

Something like that would not be popular in the congregations - it would look like the Society is "compromising" with the "political powers". I can see them wanting to get the elders on board with it in a separate meeting first.

• donuthole
    donuthole

The route to go is to separate the congregations from the corporation, but how do you do that while still maintaining the control Rutherford fought to gain?

Perhaps a more interesting question would be, is control still necessary?

What did Rutheford's control of congregations accomplish? 1.) It legitimized himself as the heir to Russell's Society against rival claimants. 2.) It mandated the door-to-door ministry, which was a money-making activity that enriched the Society and Rutherford vis-a-vis.

The Watchtower leadership no longer has to fight a civil war. They won the battle and enjoy an honored and elavated status in the eyes of the JW's who view them as Jehovah. Apart from brand identity and direction setting, the field service no longer a viable money-making endeavor. We see evidence of this in Society scale-backs and cost-cutting. Anecdotally you see this in JW's that won't even ask for donations at the door.

I like the idea suggested that leasing Kingdom Halls might be a good alternative to the preaching work. The Society already profits from loans and insurance sales, why not toss rent in there. Make 'Kingdom Hall' a brand, sold and run by indepedent franchise operators.

Just thinking out loud ...

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

i think this will be just another elder school no different than any other. IF this was indeed an "emergency" planned school it will only be optics for the courts to butress their ridiculous claim that candice conti created caused the WTS to change internal policy.

there will be a bunch of direction on how to fill out paperwork and call bethel regarding any kind of abuse case.

Thats it.

Although I love the part about "Yahweh's Witnesses". that would kick ass

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit