Why get "personal" when discussing a topic?

by Terry 135 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Oh, are we back in the KH comparing who's placed the most magazines for the month?

Farkel, you know NOTHING about me. My personal circumstances, how long I'd been a JW, what I've done since leaving the JWs. For your information I HAVE helped people leave the JWs, but unlike you, I don't have the insecurity to have the need to brag about it.

I knew you couldn't help yourself in proving my words true. Instead of discussing things like a mature adult, you resorted to attacks. You don't have the intellectual capacity to engage in mature discussion. You're still a nerdy 15 year old, unable to talk to the pretty girls on the other side of the Kingdom Hall.

I pity you.

• still thinking
    still thinking

someone who can't spell?

Looks like I'll be a newbie for the rest of my life....LOL

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Still thinking...

Consider the source... I wouldn't be too worried what some nerdy 15 yr old thought about me!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

There are two forms of ignorant retorts that bear on the matter

Satire/Mocking

Shit stirring

I feel I've been guilty on occasion of passive aggressive shit stirring if I don't like a poster. Instead of trusting that an intelligent reader can decipher the crap, I have been baited into mocking someone who disagrees with me, and visa-versa.

On the other hand, sometimes, satire is a great release, and it is generally aimed at no one, except for the perpetually sensitive. ;)

In short, maturity matters the most. Most experienced Internet readers know that there will be idiotic comments and posters in occasion. Generally speaking, after a small bit of satiric fire, they are usually ignored.

Ignoring those who disagree with you is sometimes a more mature position than a fight.

• talesin
    talesin

Thank you, panhandlegirl ; what a lovely compliment. :))

• still thinking
    still thinking

I'm not worried in the least BP....just pointing out the silliness in that.

Kinda like moving to a small town and being considered a newbie even after you have lived there for 20 years, just because you weren't born there...LOL...no sense in that either.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Ignoring those who disagree with you is sometimes a more mature position than a fight.

If you ignore, aren't you in some way making a silent protest? (that no one notices)

I remeber my daughter being ignored by a bunch of girls at school...they wanted to make a point. They did, it was very hurtful. She felt like she was being shunned, and she was. Nasty girls.

Ignoring on JWN simply means not communicating/engaging doesn't it....therefore...we do not know what you think...you do not exist until you speak again. Seems like an odd way to communicate on a forum to me...but takes all sorts.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Mostly I haven't read the threads that everyone is refering to.

But I agree that getting personal, if it includes insults, constant belittling, or other similar rude comments, is basically bullying. We have all acted rude, I'm sure, but if they are doing it doing it often, especially if one follows that unkindness up by pointing out that the poster they are attacking can't do anything about those digs, they are being rude and not contributing anything to the conversation/debate/argument.

Of course, its hard to not get "personal" when we feel strongly about things, and it's not always wrong. But being very rude and judging others is.

It's one thing to say "you're wrong! Why would you think that? That's a crazy idea!" It's far different to say "You are stupid/immature/(any other judgement of personality or flaws)! You have no right to talk about this subject! You don't know what you're talking about!"

And I do agree that since so many people here were once part of a horible, destructive cult that does little for our self-esteem and social skills, we should all try to be nice, whenever possible. We should tolerate it when others attack us, but we never know what other people are going through and what could hurt them, so morally we all have a responsibility to try to not hurt others through insults and other attacks.

On the other hand this ISN'T a KH, and we should all be able to have lively, passionate debates without worrying abot "stumbling" others.

I hope this comment is relevant to what everyone is discussing...

• talesin
    talesin

CE - LOL, I had one guy say I was a 'psycho' because I said the US as a country should stay the hell out of other countries' affars (I used an angry ).

Yah, that's me, PSYCHO!

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Lol, talesin! You're no Psycho. :)

Someone on here once suggested that I was psychopathic (the same one who told me to get off this site)- I have no idea why. I believe it was the same poster who implied that I may be bipolar (I THINK they said bipolar, or perhaps it was another mental illness). Perhaps it was another poster though.

It upset me at the time, but looking back, it seems awfully silly. I'm crazy and all, but I'm neither bipolar nor psychopathic, as far as I know...but then again, I'm fully aware that strangers on the net have so much more insight into my personality and mental conditions than I would. ;)

So I guess if you're "psycho" and I'm psychopathic, we'd make a great team.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit