Why get "personal" when discussing a topic?

by Terry 135 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Excerpt from opening paragraph:

Watch what happens to THIS topic!

Instead of discussing the IDEA of courteous debate there will be a few people who immediately steer it into ad hominem.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

<----- will be watching with interest to see who these people are

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Ehhh, I've always viewed it from the debating standpoint in that anyone who resorts to ad hominems is basically admitting, "that's it, I'm all out of ammo (facts) to back up my viewpoint, so I give up, tap out, and throw in the towel. You win!".

Remember: it's only pixels on the screen, mere electrons that disappear when you unplug the monitor, or click on the 'back' button. Unlike ancient men, someone calling you are arse doesn't magically turn you into an arse (unless you give them the power to make it so). Some people cannot STAND that something unflattering is out there, but that's life: you cannot control EVERYTHING, and most people don't really give a hoot if someone thinks so-and-so is a panzie (where both parties are ANONYMOUS, by the way).

Bottom line is rules to protect the thin-skinned are well and good, and flagrant violators who add NOTHING but insults should be sent on their merry way as trolls, but you DO need to develop a thick-skin and non-fragile ego if you're going to venture out onto the Class 4 rapids of the Internetz! People who need to should wear a helmet on their fragile egos: life is easier and MUCH more enjoyable, if you don't sweat the small stuff.

PS while everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but some people feel they similarly are entitled to their own FACTS! Uh, NO: if you try to mislead others in a public forum, and perpetuate FUD, don't be shocked if someone calls you on your BS.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What does "FUD" mean?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

FUD = Fear, uncertainty, distortion, i.e. propagating lies, or exaggerating fears and doubts, so as to push one's own agenda (e.g. the JW's Chicken-Little perma-message of, "The Sky is Falling! The End is Near").

• blondie
    blondie

Fear

Uncertainty

Doubt

?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I read over the threads that are being discussed here and who's the one calling long time posters here "trolls"? That certainly wasn't me. Point taken. My opinion isn't wanted so I will not post on your threads anymore, or Farkel's or James. Cool. Done.

<-----wonders when was the moment this place turned into a kingdom hall.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    My opinion isn't wanted so I will not post on your threads anymore, or Farkel's or James.

James_Woods?

You can still Wibble - because Wibble is no one's thread.

• Terry
    Terry

I, for one, value (on topic) ideas, opinions and reasoned argument in debate from any and everybody to the exclusion of none.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit