Why get "personal" when discussing a topic?

by Terry 135 Replies latest jw friends

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Love is in the air

• Terry
    Terry

Love is in the air

• james_woods
    james_woods

Hello, Found Sheep!!!

Waves...

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Hay James I've been "unplugged" for a while.

• Terry
    Terry

??????

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

ha ha made me laugh!!! I was over a week without power or internet or water. The cute storm that swept thru, then we went on vacation.

• Glander
    Glander

Terry has always submitted threads and posts worth reading. He has also received a lot of hard earned, posted kudos from those who appreciate him, I have done it myself.

I would hate to think that Terry has developed a thin skin. His recent threads have certainly not been vanilla discussions and he has my support in defending his comments. he has handled them with poise and more patience that I would have.

There is at least one poster here who excels in smackdowns of those who disagree with him on his favorite subject. I simply avoid his lectures by not taking a seat in his classroom.

• ammo
    ammo

Great topic Terry, and one thats overdue in discussion, yes we all do have to be a little more reasonable it seems to be a dirty word in this world, if you try to speak from the heart without all the bravado its almost looked upon as weak, your soft, I have never understood that.

There are some people here that you can almost see 'high fivin" it when they all gather to ridicule a poster, and yes everyone should show a little respect, calling a poster a nutjob, or mindrot, or woo filled and ready for the rubberoom is not respect, saying it over and over is not respect, in fact if you did it anywhere else in this world you may find yourself picking your teeth up off the floor, or have a harrasment case against you.

There are some very intelligent (in some ways) people here but that does not give anyone the monopoly on being an arsehole.

I think if this enviroment was a little less hostile, there would be alot more topics posted,not just believer/unbeliever rants. I agree with what others have posted here and on other threads about being hesitant to start a thread or post, it just seems as though if you are not ridiculed for your thoughts on said topic, you are put down by the way you have spelt something or phrased something, I got bagged for asking someone if they where angry at god,apparently its a stupid question to ask, the person replied in a manner thats enabled me to understand them more and where they are coming from,it also has made me a lot more open to what that poster has to say instead of just skipping over there post, or thinking here they go again. That poster who's views are nearly a 180* to me I thought well, I will now consider way more about what they have to say, ALL because they displayed a bit of courtesy. Annnd to my surprise alot of what they had to say I completely agreed with, I read what they had to say with opened eyes and heart, ready to take what they said on board instead of shutting down to that individual. I have alot of respect for that kind of attitude.

I find it amazing, those individuals that are so offended by such trivial things have no problem pointing the finger and jeering for the next 40 odd pages its unbelievable.

I no longer want to be apologetic about being 'thinskinned' if thats what some want to call it, to those I suggest this, try just TRY one day on one thread to be reasonable, not putting people down for the sake of it, but try and quit with the insults create an enviroment where people are wanting to communicate, all people not just ones with an aggresive/defensive intentions. You'll be amazed at the response, its ok to have your thinking challenged and be uncomfortable in that way, but I can only speak for me here, I KNOW for a fact that I can take alot more in on said subject and consider ALL sides more if people are reasonable, the message which can be very valid, even the truth in some cases is lost amidst the abuse.

I'm such a crap typer, this threads probably sorted and everyones kissed and made up,-which is a good thing, but I will post this as its very close to my heart.

No one person here or anywhere on this earth has all the answers,or even most, NO ONE can be 100% sure about anything regarding this life or what happens when we die, it would go along way to a less hostile enviroment if we all remembered it. Myself included.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Why do we have names for our inanimate cars and boats etc.

We are social beings and language is our main tool for social transactions.

Why do we condemn the sinner along with the sin?

Why do we kill the messenger?

Evolution explains all of this. But it is very hard for humans to transcend the IS/OUGHT connection. Just because something IS a certain way whether through evolution, or law, or custom, doesn't mean it OUGHT to be that way.

So we easily get mad at the F-n moron that has their orientation screwed up and proceed verbally (since we aren't by law allowed to) anhilate the enemy who could do us harm because their IQ is low and they should have died out with the neanderthals.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

It is a hostile act to call people out. It tampers with their privacy and their right to pursuit of happiness in the Constitutional sense. This is why laws are being enacted and enforced.

Except people don't enjoy the same expectation to privacy when in public vs when they're sitting inside their home, on private property. Most web-based forums generally ARE legally considered as being public forums, and some websites have even been ruled as "public accommodations" (like hotels, etc), and hence subject to ADA requirements for non-discrimination, etc. Point being, public accommodations are expected to not restrict free speech (that doesn't include the obvious abuses given, eg shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre, etc).

Other 4th Amendment (free speech) rights are at play, as well: some people wish to lob their volleys at others, and then duck for cover, after their feelings get hurt. However, free speech means not just the freedom to spiel your message, but the freedom of others to disagree (which is also something JWs HATE: they'll go to court to fight for the organization's rights to do the preaching work, but conversely deny their MEMBERS of the right to their free speech).

But the fact remains that many public forums ARE considered private property, and all users agree to the particular rules when signing up (and posting rules are right below, in the posting guidelines). I've moderated forums with thousands of members (a forum of DRUMMERS, who actually were remarkably well-behaved and self-regulating, for the most part), and the fact is you play by the owners' rules at the risk of getting warned and/or booted. Their house, their rules.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit