How do I hear/feel God?

by doinmypart 473 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest
    no-one can speak on God's behalf.

There is One, dear Char (peace to you!), but only One. Sorry, but your statement was inaccurate, so...

Bullshit. What need does anybody have of belief in a supernatural busybody before they can demonstrate "Love, kindness, mercy, joy, peace, long-suffering, forgiveness, compassion, pity, mildness, self-control"?

Look at the world around you. I realize that you and many others think the world would be better. Not so. As bad as it is, it would be worse. Some would not able to exercise these qualities without such... ummmmmm... guidance and/or restraint. And while it's true that there are just as many heinous folk out there who profess a belief in "God"... many of them are really lying and just invoking "God" because they know the power that doing so results. I am not suggesting that the majority of mankind are... ummmmmm... "bad." But it only takes a few, does it not?

For some of us, though, that belief is not in a busybody, supernatural or not. I mean, given the comments regarding His "absence," how do you now call Him a "busybody"? He actually isn't either; He offers... but it's up to us to "take". No one is made to... except by man (who pushes "God's Law" as if their own... to the detriment of many).

As for His supernaturalness... no such thing. That would mean God/Christ are of the same nature as us (which they are not) but only more: "super" natural. Their nature is not even the same as ours, however: it is higher. It is their nature, then, that some of us aspire to. Since they already possess it, why not learn from someone who knows... rather than those who do not at all (i.e., beware the naked man who offers you his shirt).

Again, peace to you both!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I am not sure if you have faith in God or not, but nevertheless. There are many other ways to tell his presence in someone, such as love , joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. If you are manifesting these things, then you are feeling God in Your life.

This is exactly the kind of vague, unfalsifiable, untestable, and utterly worthless tripe that drives me to satirize what it is like to "feel god" in one's life.

Most of us escaped from a high control publishing company that touts "love amongst yourselves" and "global preaching work" as evidence that it is the only religion approved by the Lord God of the Universe.

Once you realized that was baloney, it seems you would shy away from such nebulous kinds of evidence in the future.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Chippys up here are crap. Never understood that given the fish comes from here. But then I am spoilt coming from Yorkshire.

Anyway, back on topic.

Indeed - scary to think that if they all had an epiphany at the same time and thought 'wait a minute, this is all crap' (a la Jonathan Edwards) then they would be mass bloodshed on the streets. With only the atheists to clean up after them. Oh well.

• poppers
    poppers

Perhaps appreciating the beauty in my kids' smiles or holding my wife's hand is good enough.

Yes, it's good enough. It's in the simple things and quiet appreciation of what's around you that teaches you the language of silence.

I just haven't figured out how to do the whole transcendental thing. Maybe I'm overanalyzing it...

I hear you, and yes, overanalyzing it runs counter to what I'm pointing to. That's a common thing, actually, because people are so used to relying on their mind for answers, but what you call the "transcendental" has nothing to do with thoughts. Quite the conundrum, isn't it? I'd like to make a suggestion - there is a very profound book called Already on Holy Ground that may be helpful beyond what you've encountered with The Power of Now.

• cofty
    cofty
    I need the leading our our Lord to demonstrate these qualities - justmom

No you just think you do.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

Doinmypart> I just realized I never answered your original question. I guess I would have to say that I don't "feel" God either. However I do believe that we were created. I don't know that you have to "feel" God to believe in him. Just my 2 cents.

• cofty
    cofty

Temp off-topic alert - James - Giacopazzi's chips are not bad. MacKays on a good day. Dd you know there is an ex-jw elder living in the village down near St Vedas?

• justmom
    justmom

Dear Cofty

True Christians DON't need a written law to tell them that lying, stealing and murdering is wrong.

Folks that don't even believe in God don't need a written law to tell them either. You conscience will either "accuse" or "excuse" you. Romans 2:15

And yet in the wilderness, how many Israelites actually made it into the promised land. I remember NONE that "originally" left Egypt except for Joshua and caleb. So written didn't even do them any good. Evidently it wasn't EVEN on their hearts.

justmom

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

Still off topic

Both of those are absolute rubbish - Giacopazzis once gave me Birds Eye fish (seriously). Unbloody believable. The place is right on the dock. Fact MacKays says 'Best takeaway in Borders' unfortunately says it all.

And no! there is an elder near St Vedas? On the road up to the Haven? Who is he? (I probably know him)

Back on topic

I used to hear people talking to god all the time when I worked in a pub. Usually when I was checking the toilets for some reason. Apparently he hears you best when you are vomiting down the bog when you are pissed.

• justmom
    justmom

Cofty

But I do. I remember the qualities I demonstrated my whole life as a JW. I am ashamed of my behavior in the name of Jehovah. I judged, condemned, was, merciless, I lacked love to the world in general, and I pioneered doomsday to everyone that was not a witness.

...And I was actually pretty proud of it

justmom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit