God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday

by cantleave 78 Replies latest social current

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Everybody knows the standard model has some pretty large holes in it that will require inelegant mathematical gynmastics to overcome. But finding the higgs will probably drive research towards modifying the existing theory with those inelegant gymnastics rather than more research into alternate theories that could possibly provide an elegant solution.

It is like adding epicycles. And for that reason, I think we are missing something fundamental (which is why I hoped we didn't find the Higgs boson).

• james_woods
    james_woods

As long as we are at it, I have a deep skepticism of "dark matter" and "dark energy" as well.

I think BTS says the truth - we are missing something fundamental.

• mind blown
    mind blown

This is the best article I've found so far..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2168557/Higgs-boson-Scientists-God-particle-40-year-search-momentous-day-science.html

Professor Jerome Gauntlett, head of theoretical physics at Imperial College London, said: 'The discovery of the Higgs boson is a truly great moment for science.

'Its origins go back to the 1960s with enormous contributions made by Peter Higgs in Edinburgh and by Tom Kibble and Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam at Imperial.

'It is fantastic moment for British science that 50 years later on we have received such dramatic confirmation of their profound ideas. Like all great discoveries, more detailed studies of the Higgs are likely to have a huge impact on future fundamental scientific inquiry.

' I expect that they will illuminate the nature of the mysterious Dark Matter that pervades the universe, whether or not there are extra dimensions in addition to the three space dimensions that we observe, and ultimately how to unify the Standard Model of Particle Physics with Einstein's Theory of Gravity.'

Also:

'We observe in our data clear signs of a new particle, at the level of 5 sigma,' said ATLAS experiment spokesperson Fabiola Gianotti, ‘but a little more time is needed to prepare these results for publication.'

'The results are preliminary but the 5 sigma signal at around 125 GeV we’re seeing is dramatic. This is indeed a new particle. We know it must be a boson and it’s the heaviest boson ever found,' said CMS experiment spokesperson Joe Incandela.

'The implications are very significant and it is precisely for this reason that we must be extremely diligent in all of our studies and cross-checks.'

Also:

Stephen Hawking, who had bet $100 (£64) that the Higgs boson would never be found, said: 'This is an important result and should earn Peter Higgs the

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thanks for responses - here's a really excellent video describing the higgs bosun search.

http://vimeo.com/41038445

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL @ Stephen Hawking, making a bet he would never have to honor.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

It is the conversion of energy to matter. Thus there is a God from which this energy eminates....

Now...there are no Atheists in a Higgs Boson experiment.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Too many leaps Sam - I'm still not certain why the Large Hadron collider isn't contaminated by virtual particles or incoming energy! I do get the equivalence of energy and matter but I don't think that's what Higgs is to do with (unless I've missed the point) - I'm fairly certain Higgs is all about explaining mass or to put it simplisticaly why do some particles behave as if they are travelling through a medium while others seem unencumbered. I don't get the seque to God is the source of all energy.

I think that there are plenty of atheists and theists at Cern and at the other research facilities across the world.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I'm fairly certain Higgs is all about explaining mass or to put it simplisticaly why do some particles behave as if they are travelling through a medium while others seem unencumbered.

Itt depends on how strongly they interact with the Higgs field. The greater the interaction, the greater the mass.

• watersprout
    watersprout

Ummmmmm how does the Higgs boson particle disprove God??

I'm genuinly curious.

Peace

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Ummmmmm how does the Higgs boson particle disprove God??

It doesn't. It has nothing to do Theism or Atheism (other than Higgs is an Atheist).

The "God Particle" is a total misnomer given after the title of Leon Lederman's book on particle physics, The God Particle.

God doesn't need to be disproved, the burden of proof is on believers!! :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit