God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday

by cantleave 78 Replies latest social current

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I have to admit that in a strangely contrarian view, I was sort of hoping that the Higgs would NOT be found at the expected energy level, thus setting of a revolution in particle physics.

Ditto.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    cantleave reads the daily mail.

SHIT!!!!!! I've been outed.

I was alerted to this article by Twitter - I wouldn't normally be seen dead reading that toxic, bigotted brain cell destroying, rag.

• yknot
    yknot

This is so awesome!

Type of stuff I wanted to learn when I had an eternity to discern...

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is --- what?

• cofty
    cofty

You just got that discalaimer in time cantleave! I thought I was going to have to shun you for reading the Daily Mail ;)

I wish they wouldn't call it the "god particle" it is such a misleading term.

I look forward to seeing the official announcement tomorrow.

• jam
    jam

How will this effect religion or does it confirm the

existence of God??

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I look forward to seeing the official announcement tomorrow.

We have Leon Lederman to thank for "God Particle". I bet he regrets he ever said it now.

How will this effect religion or does it confirm the
    existence of God??

This is why the term is so misleading. No - it has nothing to do with religion or a religious god. It is merely a particle, theorized decades ago, that was conjectured to give other particles their mass properties during an early stage of the big bang.

• undercover
    undercover

How will this effect religion or does it confirm the existence of God??

It won't. Religious people believe despite evidence contrary to their beliefs.

And the only thing that can confirm the existence of God, is... God.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Cofty, Einstein was reported saying, "As I have said so many times, God doesn't play dice with the world." Calling the Higgs Boson the god particle is in the spirit of the deistic approach Einstein took to science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jint5kjoy6I

-Sab

• undercover
    undercover

This is why the term is so misleading. No - it has nothing to do with religion or a religious god.

But doesn't it, if found and confirmed, give credence to the Big Bang Theory, which gives scientists more "proof" of how the universe started, which kinda leaves God out of the process of intelligently creating everything?

Granted, it doesn't mean nuthin to Bubba Joe, the snake handling preacher...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit