God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday

by cantleave 78 Replies latest social current

• cantleave
    cantleave

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2167188/God-particle-Scientists-Cern-expected-announce-Higgs-boson-particle-discovered-Wednesday.html

• Scientists 'will say they are 99.99% certain' the particle has been found
    • Leading physicists have been invited to event - sparking speculation that Higgs boson particle has been found
    • 'God Particle' gives particles that make up atoms their mass

By Rob Cooper

PUBLISHED: 14:00, 1 July 2012 | UPDATED: 15:21, 2 July 2012

Scientists at Cern will announce that the elusive Higgs boson 'God Particle' has been found at a press conference next week, it is believed.

Five leading theoretical physicists have been invited to the event on Wednesday - sparking speculation that the particle has been discovered.

Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider are expected to say they are 99.99 per cent certain it has been found - which is known as 'four sigma' level.

Scroll down for video

Big enough to matter: The collider, formed of superconducting magnets, stretches around 17miles or 27km - and is sensitive to the moon's gravity

The particle accelerator: It is within these tubes that physicists are hunting for the 'God' particle

Physicists first predicted that the Higgs Boson subatomic particle exists 48 years ago.

More...

Peter Higgs, the Edinburgh University emeritus professor of physics that the particle is named after, is among those who have been called to the press conference in Switzerland.

Invite: Peter Higgs, the professor the particle is named after, has been asked to attend the press conference at Cern

Invite: Peter Higgs, the professor the particle is named after, has been asked to attend the press conference at Cern

The management at Cern want the two teams of scientists to reach the 'five sigma' level of certainty with their results - so they are 99.99995 per cent sure - such is the significance of the results.

Tom Kibble, 79, the emeritus professor of physics at Imperial College London, has also been invited but is unable to attend.

He told the Sunday Times: 'My guess is that is must be a pretty positive result for them to be asking us out there.'

The Higgs boson is regarded as the key to understanding the universe. Physicists say its job is to give the particles that make up atoms their mass.

Without this mass, these particles would zip though the cosmos at the speed of light, unable to bind together to form the atoms that make up everything in the universe, from planets to people.

The collider, housed in an 18-mile tunnel buried deep underground near the French-Swiss border, smashes beams of protons – sub-atomic particles – together at close to the speed of light, recreating the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang.

If the physicists’ theory is correct, a few Higgs bosons should be created in every trillion collisions, before rapidly decaying.

A full moon disrupts the circle: An aerial view of the Swiss-French border, indicating the route of the Large Hadron Collider

An aerial view of the Swiss-French border, indicating the route of the Large Hadron Collider

This decay would leave behind a ‘footprint’ that would show up as a bump in their graphs.

However, despite 1,600 trillion collisions being created in the tunnel - there have been fewer than 300 potential Higgs particles.

Now it is thought that two separate teams of scientists, who run independent experiments in secret from each other, have both uncovered evidence of the particle.

However, the two groups, CMS and ATLAS, are expected to stop short of confirming its existence.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2167188/God-particle-Scientists-Cern-expected-announce-Higgs-boson-particle-discovered-Wednesday.html#ixzz1zTmby0Sx

• cedars
    cedars

If Higgs has been invited to the press conference specially, then it seems certain it will be announced.

This field of science amazes me. I only wish I could understand it more clearly.

Exciting stuff!

Cedars

• jgnat
    jgnat

For you, Cedar, atomic behavior explained through dance

• cantleave
    cantleave

Jgnat - that's awesome!

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have to admit that in a strangely contrarian view, I was sort of hoping that the Higgs would NOT be found at the expected energy level, thus setting of a revolution in particle physics.

But now I guess I am glad that they found it as expected.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@cedars:

If you want to learn more about particle physics check this out: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1247

This guy does a good job explaing it. 24 lectures ...

MMM

edit: unfortunately, it is not free :(

• glenster
  • jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

wow - that is amazing news and wouldn't have expected it: cantleave reads the daily mail.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I soooo much want to hear Brian Cox gush about the discovery.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I just read a little hint of the negative about this from another source - some people (Fermi Lab people?) pointed out that scientific certainty is supposed to be "Five Sigma" level of confidence - not Four.

I don't know how the Sigma level is determined or what that might mean, but it does seem that CERN is seemingly pretty sure of themselves about it.

BTW - I have a fascinating book "The Story of the W and Z" by Carlo Rubio about the CERN discovery of the W and Z transfer bosons in the early 1980s at CERN. It is a great scientific organization. I am looking forward to a similar book outlining this latest effort for the lay scientists out there.

In a note of humor - isn't everyone happy that they did not form a black hole and collapse the universe while doing this research?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit