God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday

by cantleave 78 Replies latest social current

• Razziel
    Razziel

Ok Qcmbr, I don't watch Youtube, or read expert explanations so take what I say with a grain of salt. I have an excellent education in classical mechanics through Engineering, and a respectable education in physics due to required courses and elective courses in Quantum Mechanics. I prefer to read data and draw my own conclusions based off my own intelligence rather than listen to others who have read the data and drawn their own conclusions.

The Higgs Field is a field theorized to permeate all space. The easiest analogy for me for a field is a contour map, where a function of two variables have a constant value, such as in elevation maps that many people are familiar with.

You can also liken it to an electromagnetic field, if you are familiar with EMAG. This field interacts with other fields to produce results we can measure.

If you have an understanding of Calculus and Differential Equations, you know implicit integration results in extra terms with coefficients that can only be explicitly solved by knowledge of boundary condititions. These extra terms sometimes result in non-intuitive results such as the coriolis effect that helps explain the behavior of hurricanes.

For subatomic particles, one of these boundary conditions is postulated to be the Higgs Field, a base field that all particles can interact with. In other words, for subatomic particles, the extra terms do not interact with the Higgs Field, the terms go to zero, and the particles have no mass. For other particles, the extra terms do not go to zero, they interact with the Higgs Field, and they result in those particles having mass.

This is complicated by the concept of Symmetry breaking, where the equations predict that two points along the same contour line will have the same value, or at least a total energy value equal to unity. 1/2 + 1/2 =1, 1/2 + 2/3 = 1, 1/4 + 3/4 = 1, etc.

The reality from observations is, that at certain energy levels, symmetry can be broken. Again in other words, we have a non-linearity; i.e. 1 + 1 does not equal 2. After analysis of many hyperelastic materials and elastic materials in the plastic region as an engineer, I can say with no uncertainty, 1 + 1 does not always equal 2. Superposition does not hold in certain ranges, and this can be a very difficult concept to understand.

I have probably done nothing to answer your original question. The Universe can be described as a set of non-linear partial differential equations which are extremely difficult if not impossible to solve.

• snowbird
    snowbird

bump

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thanks Raz - ok here is a basic logical leap I'm failing to make and I can't find a good expalnation of it yet.

I am happy with the concept of the Higgs Field but is the field expressed by the Higgs Bosun or is the Higgs Bosun an evidence of the field? If the field is caused by the Higgs bosun and all matter is equally affected then Higgs bosuns must be all over the place which seems at odds with the idea that they decay so quickly and can only be 'seen' in a collision scenario. How can a rapidly decaying particle be responsible for a stable field? However, if the Higgs bosun is simply the result of exciting the underlying field such that it momentarily changes state (to a particle) and then decays away then I can almost square that.

:)

• frankiespeakin
  • Razziel
    Razziel

"However, if the Higgs bosun is simply the result of exciting the underlying field such that it momentarily changes state (to a particle) and then decays away then I can almost square that."

That's closer. Think of a charged particle being accelerated in a magnetic field. The magnetic field has some value of energy density, which is transferred to the particle causing it to accelerate as it moves through the field. The Higgs Field also has some value for energy density. When it interacts with certain particles (they're not really particles, they are fields, but thinking of them as particles is fine for this), energy is transferred to the particle, but instead of that energy being in the form of something like acceleration, that energy is transferred by E=MC^2 as mass.

If a particle absorbs or releases electromagnetic energy, it is really absorbing or releasing photons, as they are the force carrier for the electromagnetic force allowing energy transfer to take place. Similarly, the Higgs Boson is the force carrier for the Higgs Field, and are absorbed by certain particles, again allowing energy to be transferred from the Higgs Field into mass by E=MC^2. Running particles through an accelerator and smashing them together with enough energy does the opposite as you already know.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yes. Bosons are the force carriers of a quantum field. The photon is electromagnetism, the W(+ & -) & Z are the weak force carriers, and the gluons are the strong force carriers.

The graviton, (if it is ever found) would be the force carrier of the quantum gravitational field.

• Razziel
    Razziel

I'm not so sure gravitons exist, but that's another story.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Same here, Razziel. It may well be that gravity is really Einsteinian space distortion rather than a field force.

Of course, I was not really that sure of the Higgs either.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Every other force appears to have a carrier particle. The problem with gravitons is that, if they do exist, will be extremely hard to detect, since they only interact very weakly.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The other problem with gravitons is that no serious theoretical particle model actually predicts them.

(Yes, I just said that string theory, many dimensions, supersymmetry, and so on are NOT serious theory.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit