God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday

by cantleave 78 Replies latest social current

• glenster
    glenster

Using the phrase "God particle" would be overstepping objective description of
    the discovery, which has special important merit on its own terms. Scientists
    dislike the phrase "God particle."

Probably regarding conservative Abrahamic ideas about Genesis, some have claimed
    proof of the non-existence of God about things like evolution, big bang, and now
    the manner by which matter in the universe gained mass. They don't change the
    liberal/progressive/reform stance, though, let alone the ideas Adler gave in "How
    to Think About God" regarding a way to think about the possibility of the basic
    God concept--I don't think anything would. They advance our ideas of the known
    things you may choose whether or not to have faith in a possible God beyond.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The god particle is indeed a complete misnomer.

The point is folks, this is THE most significant discovery yet in terms of standard theory. This is more exciting than man walking on the moon. This is is the beginning of understanding of how the universe is really built.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    This is more exciting than man walking on the moon

When did this happen? lol...had this discussion with Mr Midwich a few weeks ago, and he said it's been 'proven' now...

Not going off topic - just seen Peter Higgs on the news. One happy chappie.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This "god particle" being behind the beginning of the material universe, involves faith either way when you think of something springing from nothing. Faith in some kind of catalyst to trigger it all...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The point is folks, this is THE most significant discovery yet in terms of standard theory. This is more exciting than man walking on the moon. This is is the beginning of understanding of how the universe is really built.

This is also an exciting time for believers as well because understanding the nature of the universe will greatly increase our understanding of it's Creator.

The crucial feature of atomic physics is that the human observer is not only necessary to observe the properties of an object, but is necessary even to define these properties. ... This can be illustrated with the simple case of a subatomic particle. When observing such a particle, one may choose to measure — among other quantities — the particle's position and its momentum - Fritjof Capra. The Tao of Physics, p. 127

Lawrence Krauss, a renowned comosmologist, says that "the universe is here the way it is because astronomers are here to measure it." It seems to me that quantum physics is providing the means for people of spirituality to explain the nature of our Creator. If our observations are required for our reality to exist then there must have been some sort of intelligent observer at the beginning of space and time for it to exist. Thomas Hobbs speaks about this deistic first cause:

The effects we acknowledge naturally, do include a power of their producing, before they were produced; and that power presupposeth something existent that hath such power; and the thing so existing with power to produce, if it were not eternal, must needs have been produced by somewhat before it, and that again by something else before that, till we come to an eternal, that is to say, the first power of all powers and first cause of all causes; and this is it which all men conceive by the name of God, implying eternity, incomprehensibility, and omnipotence. - Works, vol. 4, pp. 59–60

This is an exciting time to be both a secularist and a believer as all are in a vigorous search for the truth about who, what and where we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDB7cZcTTA

-Sab

• Razziel
    Razziel

I'm going to be a debbie downer and say that although this is important, it isn't that groundbreaking. I've seen the higgs as more of a decision point for future research. Everybody knows the standard model has some pretty large holes in it that will require inelegant mathematical gynmastics to overcome. But finding the higgs will probably drive research towards modifying the existing theory with those inelegant gymnastics rather than more research into alternate theories that could possibly provide an elegant solution.

Newtonian mechanics were widely successful too, except for those few pesky holes in it.

Edit: We don't need metaphysics in this thread.

• cantleave
    cantleave

As I said to someone today this shows us where the dots are that have to be joined up, the problem is many of the dots are invisible.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

To be fair - now we have proof it shouldn't really be called the god particle.

Any more good links to explaining this particle - I've been watching a few youtubes and looking at websites and I still struggle to conceptualise these particles. Anyone found a good one that explained it in an approachable way but a bit beyond ping pong balls and honey type analogy?

• BroMac
    BroMac

I thought the god particle was to be found in the next iPhone

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    I thought the god particle was to be found in the next iPhone

the ''God-App'' ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit