Latest convention brochure on,,, the Governing Body

by cedars 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

This latest publication from the WTS reminds me of the way a boa constrictor works. Once its prey is trapped in its coils, the snake slowly strangles it by tightening its grip on the animal everytime it exhales while simultaneously preventing the inhaling of life-sustaining air. The prey is suffocated at minimal exertion of energy for the predator. The WTS is doing the same to its membership. There was a time when Witnesses enjoyed a greater degree of freedom than they do now. Maybe that was because there were far fewer active Witnesses and nobody in Brooklyn was consumed with the thought of maintaining tight control over the rank-and-file.

The creation of the Governing Body in the 1970s effectively changed all that. Slowly but surely, in the thirty-odd years that have passed since the Governing Body effectively wrested control of the organization away from Nathan Knorr and Fred Franz, we have seen an ever-tightening regime put into place. This regime isn't concerned with discovering "new truths" or finding better Scriptural understanding with the illumination of "new light" as much as it wants to dictate every aspect of Witnesses lives from the trivial and banal to the most initimate. This convention release is a manifestation of that. Filled as it is with logic errors, malapropisms and lies, there can be no doubt that its consumption is meant for the converts to the religion who have arrived in recent years. It also serves as a potent reminder to veteran Witnesses of who is running the show.

The boa constrictor wants to consume its prey. I think that is the Governing Body's aim as well. They are not concerned for the future as much as they only want to sate their lust for power. I can only hope that they will ultimately fail.

Quendi

• cedars
    cedars

Amelia and 00DAD, well spotted! I totally missed that!

So folks, to re-cap...

[The Governing Body] "members do not regard themselves as leaders of God's people."

BUT

You can be disfellowshipped for disagreeing with what they tell you to do/believe!

Crazy double-speak.

Cedars

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

What letters actually came from the "Older Men" (aka Governing Body)? Ask a JW that question.

Paul wrote the majority of the letters to the congregations that are recorded in the Bible. He clearly wasn't a member of the Governing Body in Jerusalem even if you buy in to the GB concept!!

In fact, Paul wrote both letters to Timothy, to the Corinthians, to the Ephesians, to the Romans, to the Galatians, to the Philippians, to the Colossians, to the Thessalonians, to Titus, to Philemon, and the book of Hebrews. He clearly wasn't a member of the Governing Body, yet he wrote the vast majority of letters of direction to the congregations!!!! How do JW's not see this??!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Pretentious lying to sustain a presence of power in the earthly Watchtower Kingdom , who would of thought ?

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne
    VM44: Is that book available for downloading?

jw.org http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QrYQCsVrGlBBX

• cedars
    cedars

Here's a question for you. How can somebody "take the lead" but not be a "leader"?

“The faithful and discreet slave today is represented by the Governing Body, who take the lead and coordinate the Kingdom-preaching work throughout the earth.” (w09 2/15 p.28 par.17)

“The Head, Jesus Christ, supplies the body members with what is needed for good cooperation, coordination, and spiritual nourishment. (Eph. 4:15, 16; Col. 2:19) In such respects, the Governing Body is organized to take the lead as Jehovah directs them by holy spirit.” (w08 5/15 p.29)

“Today, we can observe those making up the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, other anointed overseers, and men of the “great crowd” who take the lead among us.” (w89 9/15 p.21)

“Local elders and members of the Governing Body take the lead among us; hence, we should respect them and pray that God grant them the wisdom needed to govern the congregation.” (w89 12/15 p.21 par.5)

“ So we can observe the faithful men today who take the lead among us, particularly those of the governing body of the ‘ faithful and discreet slave ’.” (w69 6/15 p.367 par.3 )

How could I have been so stupid? All this time I, like others, have been criticizing the Governing Body for their complete mismanagement and deceitful leadership of the organization, but now it seems they are not leaders at all! They are merely those who have "taken the lead". The "lead" is therefore something that can be "taken" by whosoever feels up to the challenge. It follows then that, if I want to steer the organization in the proper direction, all I need to do is politely ask the Governing Body to stand aside so I can relieve them of their heavy burden and "take the lead" myself! How could I have been so cynical?!

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quendi, do you know the kids' song, "I'm Being Swallowed By a Boa Constrictor"? We used to sing that when I was like 12.

Your description of the GB as a boa is spot on!

Johnny Cash

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Sounds like they are really trying to distance themselves from any legal conflicts that could arise in the future regarding culpability in the handling of paedophilia and their blood doctrine.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Q: Here's a question for you. How can somebody "take the lead" but not be a "leader"?

A: This is only possible in the wonderful world of JW Theology where ordinary, everyday words don't mean what they ordinarily mean anywhere else all of the time.

• Soon = over 100 years and still waiting
    • Generation = can include people 99 years apart in age
    • Love = if you disagree we show our "love" by shunning you
    • Humility = Obedience
  • cedars
    cedars

LOL 00DAD, excellent point when you put it like that. However, the Society will always be limited in the extent to which it can rewrite the dictionary. When you show most reasonable people a direct comparison between what they say in this new brochure and what they say in their other literature, it will surely ring alarm bells. It's another tool in our arsenal.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit