by cedars 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Got it, thanks!

• wasblind
    wasblind

How dare y'all !!!! question the Governin' Balls

Don't you know that

" These [ who fail to recognize Christ's spiritual brothers as representatives of the king ] will depart into the everlasting cutting off."______Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 241

Forget about Jesus , your chance at salvation is shot, if you piss off the GB. they hold the keys to everlastin' life

• Zico
    Zico

There was a Watchtower study article a few months ago that criticised the nicene council for not being unanimous so they're clearly trying to create this impression that they are. When Ray first joined the GB it required unanimous voting and changed to the two-thirds majority in 1975/6, so it's possible that they've changed it back?

Cedars, I expect you will be just as unimpressed by the other brochure. The first chapter answers the question, What is the good news? with no mention of Jesus, who does not feature till a few chapters later, which seems a very significant omission for a 'Christian' group.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" It's interesting how the preceding page of this 2012 brochure discusses the "Faithful Slave Class" and depicts them by showing two guys who are now dead..."

Cedars, Cedars, Cedars , did you forget ?

They are part of the " millions now living that will never die "

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Millions now living,will live a Lie! Have another Drink Dumb Ass!

....................... ...OUTLAW

• wasblind
    wasblind

" If JW is so spirit-directed, why is the GB always old white men? What happened to the diversity? WBTS is just like any other corporation or even worse "

Don't fret none Queenwitch,

They have a corporate token in place already, he the one they got in place to convince the black folk not to get an education or vote

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Acts 15: Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers: “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about this question. 3 The church sent them on their way, and as they traveled through Phoenicia and Samaria, they told how the Gentiles had been converted. This news made all the believers very glad. 4 When they came to Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the church and the apostles and elders, to whom they reported everything God had done through them.

Listening to Fred Franz talk in 1975 at the Gilead graduation, he emphasized that the incorrect teaching of circumcision came from Judea. Paul and Barnabas were sent by the congregation in Antioch to go to Jerusalem to straighten out the incorrect teaching. After hearing the discussion James said 19 “It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God".

Basically, the Christian Jews from Judea that came to Antioch had their teaching questioned or challenged. Paul and Barnabas from Antioch handled correcting the Jews in a nice way.

The following is from Ashbury Bible Commentary:

A. The Nature of the Issue (15:1–5)

The crucial question was whether Christianity was understood as the heart and center of Judaism or whether Judaism was the center out of which Christianity emerged. In the first perspective it was obvious, since Christianity was a central circle within the larger circle of Judaism, that those outside the circle of Judaism must first become Jews before they could become Christians. In brief, Christianity was subsumed under the larger context of Judaism. It was the representatives of the strength of Judaism, the Pharisees, who held this view. In the second perspective, however, it was just as obvious, since Christianity was the larger circle within which Judaism was encompassed, that Gentiles came into the new covenant community the same way as Jews, through faith in Jesus as Messiah. As Luke notes, This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. It is to be noted that Paul and Barnabas prepare for their encounter in Jerusalem by telling how the Gentiles had been converted.

B. The Jerusalem Council (15:6–29)

Luke provides us only the focus of the council, which centers on a brief summary of Peter's presentation (vv. 7-11) and James's decision (vv. 13-21). Peter recalls the conversion of Cornelius, the God-fearer, focusing on the fact that God cleansed the heart by faith and gave the Holy Spirit. While Peter lifts up the crucial issue, he implies that Gentile equals God-fearer. James sees this as a point of compromise, since the Jerusalem church has already acknowledged the work of God with Cornelius (11:18). James's decision is that Gentiles who come to faith are to observe the minimum requirements that were placed upon God-fearers to enable them to worship with the Jewish community (v. 20). In other words, Gentiles did not have to become proselytes (and be circumcised), but they did have to become God-fearers and thus be brought within the widest possible boundary of Judaism.

The Jerusalem church and the representatives from Antioch sense this is of the Holy Spirit (v. 28), although the issue is not resolved, as history shows. The circumcision party obviously saw this as a bare minimum requirement and continued to press Gentiles toward the stricter requirements of the Law of Moses. Paul and his followers obviously saw this as an unrealistic maximum requirement that was itself questionable at some points (1Co 8). From this point, the Christian movement moved down two different roads: Paul leading the majority movement into gentile Christianity, Jewish Christians leading a minority into gradual extinction. (Maybe this is where the "Governing Body" of jw's is leading the congregations)

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

You know, just one quick glance at this publication says such a lot.

The page Cedars featured, page 20: it opens

"...a small group, "the apostles and older men in Jerusalem" served as a governing body to make important decisions on behalf of the entire anointed Christian congregation. (Acts15:2)

And at the foot of the page, at kindergarten level, the question "Who were the governing body in the first century?"

Oh, for goodness sake, how much more crassly stupid can you get? "Janet puts the plate on the table." Question: where does Janet put the plate? Good, children, you got that one right, well done!

Book after book in the same inane tone.

It's pernicious, too, right from the start. Just exactly where in Acts 15: 2 does it say the apostles and older men in Jerusalem served....to make decisions on behalf of the entire anointed Christian congregation?

Answer: it doesn't. Of course it doesn't. this whole doctrine the WT has that what the rest of the Christian world knows perfectly well is for everyone is actually for the "spirit-anointed" is utter bilge! Codswallop! Rubbish!

And what does "spirit-anointed" mean, for goodness sake? It is a meaningless phrase invented by the WT.

Yes, I am hopping mad at the way they twist the truth and brainwash the unwary, just as they tried to do to me, and very very nearly succeeded, and it does me good to say so! They are liars through and through, and who is their father, the father of lies? Need I say more?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

But what about the GB of the Mormon church, they too say they've been divinely chosen by god to direct

people toward spiritual enlightenment of god's will and purpose ?

Funny that the GB of the JWS is also a blatant and fraudulent false prophet/profit

I guess its just a result of so many men wanting to be the powerful chosen ones, the power of god in their own hands and all that.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

k, finally got the d/l. So a meeting day has been dropped? it's now public talk / wt and bookstudy/theo school / service meeting? Anyone know what the bookstudy book is now? continuing to browse the brochure although I can't believe that I was so gungho for this BS in the past.

edit: I've always wondered why single sisters aren't called to do anything special. they have the bible school for single brothers and christian couples. so women are chopped liver and can't do anything without a man? Gah! this is why I'm pagan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit