Latest convention brochure on,,, the Governing Body

by cedars 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sd-7
    sd-7
    SC: The ones on earth aren’t ruling.

Then why are they called a "Governing Body"? What does it mean to govern?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/govern

Definition of GOVERN

transitive verb 1 a:to exercise continuous sovereign authority over; especially: to control and direct the making and administration of policy in

I wonder if the "Governing" they do falls under definition 'b': b : to rule without sovereign power and usually without having the authority to determine basic policy Sounds like we have a winner! "Governing Body" it is! --sd-7
  • sd-7
    sd-7

9/15/10 WT, paragraph 7:

"We cannot hope to acquire a good relationship with Jehovah if we ignore those whom Jesus has appointed to care for his belongings. Without the assistance of “the faithful and discreet slave,” we would neither understand the full import of what we read in God’s Word nor know how to apply it."

So...obviously they don't consider themselves the leaders! That settles that! Bonkers yet, anyone??

--sd-7

• cedars
    cedars

lol sd-7 - I wonder how long it will take before the Watch Tower Society begins to condemn dictionaries as the work of the devil!

Cedars

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Regarding dictionaries, when I told my SC that the WT definition of "lie," as in the Insight books, is not the same as the dictionary definition, he said "that's a problem for Webster, not my problem."

• Quendi
    Quendi

@ InterestedOne: Your study conductor's reaction to the information you shared with him is nothing short of disgusting! I would have terminated the study right then and there and told him he was no longer welcome in my home. Talk about cognitive dissonance!

Quendi

• VM44
    VM44

So according to JW thinking the following identity is not used becuase it gives the wrong impression:

"leaders" = "those who take the lead"

Although they admit there is nothing wrong grammatically with identifying "leaders" with the phrase "those taking the lead", the word "leaders" implies following men, which the JWs like to pretend they are not doing.

According to the JW mindset, the word "managers" is substituted for the word "leaders" or for "those taking the lead."

The elders in the congregations are "Watchtower Managers" taking direction from the FDS (according to the Organizational Chart).

In the past, elders were even called "Overseers"(*), but the use of that word within the congregation was stopped several years ago.

-----

(*) overseer - a person who directs and manages an organization

• Open mind
    Open mind

This is a golden opportunity, IMO, particularly for former elders to mess with currently serving elders.

OM: Hey there Brother Naive Elder (BNE), what did you think about the new brochure?

BNE: New brochure? Oh yes, certainly "Food At The Proper Time (tm)".

OM: So, I'm curious, is the local BOE going to adopt the same standard as the Governing Body?

BNE: Whaaa?

OM: Well, the new brochure states that today's GB follows the same pattern as the 1st Century GB in that it only takes action when the the ENTIRE GROUP is UNANIMOUS in their decision. So, will the local brothers be following the same "pattern"?

Let the fun begin.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit