Things that were supposedly demonized

by freshstart 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• freshstart
    freshstart

I was just thinking about all the fear I had when I was a kid that I would be attacked by demons if I wasn't careful. I mean I lived in absolute terror over it, so I'm going to reminisce about the things I was told were demonized and you can add to the list if you'd like:

• Lucky Charms cereal
    • Count Dracula cereal
    • Items bought at garage sales where there was a cross or anything religious present
    • "Hotel California" by The Eagles (now one of my favorite songs)
    • WWJD bracelets
    • Scooby Doo

I remember being so scared of every little noise that whenever I would turn off my light to go to bed, I would say "Jehovah, Jehovah!" out loud so the demons would leave me alone at night. Gosh, what a sad way to be..... It's a damn shame that from the time we're children those fears are instilled in us. Just the other day I was visiting my aunt (hardcore JW) and she said she thinks she has demons in her house because she had a nightmare the other night. Ok, this is a woman who is hooked on pain pills and takes about 5 different drugs right before she goes to bed, so I'm willing to bet my life's savings that it's all the medicine she's taking and certainly not demons. I mean, I get wacky dreams when I take a Benadryl before bed, so I can't imagine the dreams she gets when she takes Ambien, Percocet and all the rest of the stuff she takes. But no, she'd rather think it's demons because they are trying to persecute her which means she must be doing something right.

• donny
    donny

The Smurfs

Any non-JW religious books or publications

Ink Pens with religious quotes on them.

Items I bought for my kids after I disassociated and they took them to their mothers house.

Star Wars

The 2nd Indiana Jones movie (Temple of Doom). The first and third ones were ok.

Any horror films

The cover of Van Halens album "Fair Warning."

• Quandry
    Quandry

E.T.

Letters from wordly family (this was years ago before e-mail, etc.) In 1973, when I was studying, a sister in the KHall told me of a family that had demon problems. The elders came, and they went through everything in the house. Finally, they walked around the outside of the house. Above the window, a letter was jammed into the wood frame "trying to get in." It was from a wordly relative who was connected to demonism in some way. Once they burned the letter, everything was fine.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

That sounds like a really bad horror movie

Tales of the creeping letter

• harleybear
    harleybear

A pioneer sister had a fit when I told her I loved the song Southern Cross. She said it was demonized. When I tried to explain what they were singing about was a constellation in the Southern Hemisphere she said I was wrong. She also said that if you buy clothes from a garage sale and the person/s holding said garage sale were immoral you would become immoral. Makes about as much sense as not buying a cat toy to keep you from catching mice.

• freshstart
    freshstart

We had this circuit overseer once, Keith Parker, who was vehemently opposed to buying anything from a thrift store. He thought that you were supporting "false religion" and inviting the demons into your life. I mean he was on fire about how much he opposed thrift stores. Didn't stop me though....I'm still in the thrift store every other week. Ralph Lauren jeans for $2.50? Hell yeah!

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

Anything with astrological signs on it.

no hypnotism, the demons can gain control

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My Michael Jackson Thriller album. My father told me to throw it away cuz it could attach something to our home. I refused. Squat happened...never heard tale of a demon. So much for that theory.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Father gathered the family together to inform us of a serious problem. ‘The demons have been bothering your mother again. She gets visions and keeps hearing voices. We can only think that there are still items in the house that are demonised.’

‘Yeah, I keep hearing voices too. Every time the neighbours argue I hear them through the wall,’ I commented.

Nigel sniggered.

‘Don’t be sarcastic! This is a very important matter.’ Father cleared his throat and continued. ‘The table is second-hand and the previous owners may have sat around it contacting demons. It could be one of the items that the demons are getting into the house through.’

The table was a central point in our house. It would be a shame to sacrifice it and we had no money for a replacement.

Father looked at me again. ‘That walking stick that you keep in your bed may also be demonised because mother has been getting visions of a man threatening to beat her with a walking stick. These things will have to be thrown away along with anything else that may be demonised.’

It seemed a shame to lose the walking stick but if the demons left the house, it would no longer be needed.

‘Can’t we sell the table?’ I asked.

‘No. If we do that the demons may get at the people we sell it to, through the table. We would be playing into the Devils hands.’ father informed me.

After much sawing through the tough seasoned oak and hammering, the table was broken up into manageable pieces and loaded into our old van-shaped car. I agreed to go with father to the rubbish dump, some five miles away. As we pulled away, I turned around to look at our dangerous cargo, expecting to see evil creatures lurking in the car but all looked normal.

I began to wonder if the demons, upset at being ejected from the house, would try to cause us to crash. Not wanting to distract father, I concealed my fear as my eyes scanned the road ahead. Without closing my eyes, I silently prayed to Jehovah, asking him to protect us. Each mile seemed to take much longer than normal and I barely dared to breathe. Father remained silent, no doubt realizing the risk we were taking. At last, we arrived at the rubbish dump unharmed. I helped father unload the pieces of what had been his only decent piece of furniture. Finally, I angrily threw the walking stick high into the air and watched it fall out of sight.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My mom was severely chastised for wearing a good wig. Cheap poly wigs were ok. Human hair was very dangerous.

Has anyone noticed that the Bible never mentions that demons can infect inanimate objects. Paul never discussed it in reference to pagan meat sacrificed to idols. Or did he? Wigs are never mentioned.

Also, only Jesus and later the apostles can rebuke demons. Yet we were all certain that an electirc light blub was a repellant. Imagine the armies of the fallen angels, led by Satan, being intimidated by a flash light or night light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit