Things that were supposedly demonized

by freshstart 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would have relished a viist from Caspar, the friendly ghost. My bro and I were allowed to watch but every single episode we heard never to tell the relatives or anyone at KH.

Caspar had the catchiest tune, too.

I don't understand the wine chimes and something else mentioned.

Fear of demons is why Christian Orthdoox art is so flat. I thought they could not draw perspective. Pagan art was often three dimensionaly. Somehow art with no perspective did not invite demons.

I confess that I remain a tad afraid. Madeleine L'Engle and I discussed my fear of demons. She copied out a very ancient prayer for me and b/c "demon" gets my heart pumping, she changed it to the Koine Greek:

From all ill dreams defend our eyes,

From might fears and phantasies

Tread under foot the ghostly foe

That no pollution we may know.

And make the echtroi far to go.

AMEN

Sorry for the formatting. Breaking in new computer. Must return it so bad.

• Heaven
    Heaven

So I am not sure when the Smurfs became demonized or if it's a geography or country thing because my Mom gave me a stuffed Papa Smurf. I still have it.

But definitely my Dad angrily told my younger brother that he had to return his "Speak of the Devil" Ozzy Osbourne album because it was evil.

Speak of the Devil

• TD
    TD

Many years ago, my wife and I were broke. She got me a coffee cup for anniversay.

A few weeks later, I agreed to help a JW relative of hers move. I forgot my coffee cup at their house.

They found a strange cup and assumed it belonged to the previous owner. They promptly took it outside and broke it with a hammer. Ya never know what demonz might be hiding in.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

My mom was severely chastised for wearing a good wig. Cheap poly wigs were ok. Human hair was very dangerous

BOTR - Please don't tell me your mother was hauled in the backroom for wearing a quality wig, and if she was, she still chose to follow this loony cult? many sisters wear wigs, good ones and bad ones ! !

• TD
    TD
    I confess that I remain a tad afraid. Madeleine L'Engle and I discussed my fear of demons....

Wow...I'm impressed. It's funny in a sad way, but I'd be willing to bet that JW's consider much of her work to be demonized as well. I know my wife had to read A Wrinkle In Time without her parent's knowledge or consent.

• VM44
    VM44

The 60s television programs "The Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits".....both demonized!!

• freshstart
    freshstart

I remember my mom flipped out on my older brothers because they were playing Dungeons and Dragons. And I mean she totally lost her shit, she almost looked demonized herself by the way she was reacting.

• freshstart
    freshstart

Oh, I also remember that the word "luck" was a HUGE no-no in our house and our congregation. People would start saying Jehovah's name out loud to fend off demons if you made the mistake of using that word.

• talesin
    talesin

Oh yeah,,, I haven't read the comments (sorry, I usually do), but I have such a list!

Bewitched, Kreskin, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Outer Limits, the Twilight Zone (tv programs)

The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Dracula (movies)

Second hand clothes and books

Fairy tales

The tooth fairy, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny

ALL KIDS AT SCHOOL!!!

KISS, and all rock and roll except Elvis

marijuana & LSD & majik mushrooms

cigarettes

okay, my mind is going blank right now ... I know there's more, but hey --- psychic overload

tal

• talesin
    talesin

oh yeah, neverscreamagain,,, INCENSE and WIND CHIMES! oh, Satan the Debbil!

and also Patchouli -- you know, those hippy folks wear it!

blue jeans

The peace symbol

The Beatles

okay, I'll shut up now ....

lmfao!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit