Plaintiff awarded in punitive damages -21M & 1 dollar. Total award, 28M & 1 dollar. Here's more info

by AndersonsInfo 106 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Deceived
    Deceived

OMG this is so HUGE and exciting!!! I have been reading about it all day yesterday and today. I couldn't post here until now as I wasn't on the right computer.

Congratulations to Candace for being so brave to go through with this despite all the hardships involved. She has become a Hero in my eyes.

Those of us who are exjws were all in some way abused by the WT Society but not all in a way that we can sue them. This is a victory for us all!!!

Has anyone brought this attention to the Canadian Media yet?? If not what is involved in doing that. This has to be told to everyone.

Paula

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

This is telling: From the Watchtower's Trial Memorandum, page 10, heading V. is titled "The Church Defendants had no legal duty to report child sexual abuse to authorities" and here's what the WT lawyer had to say, starting on line 26"

"In this case, the two elders received a confession in November 1993 from Jonathan Kendrick as stated above. The elders had no legal duty to report the incident to the authorities, because the law at that time did not require ministers to do so. In addition, this confession by Kendrick was received by the elders in the course of the discipline and practice of the Jehovah's Witness faith and was intended to be kept confidential. As such, it was also privileged and not subject to disclosure in any fashion beyond those dictated by the protocols and procedures of the Jehovah's Witness faith. The Church Defendants assert that, even if received today, that confession by Kendrick would be privileged." (emphasis mine).

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am happy that one victim of the WT has gotten her day in court and has gotten justice. That is the best and most hopeful news out of all of this. How many of us know or are/were the victims (in whichever way) of this evil organization? It is good to see them get their comeuppance and some consequences for their arrogance and evildoing.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I hope this brings continued awareness to all~~ that child molesters cannot be rehabilitated, must be exposed not hidden in secrecy, to all. That children can come forward and be heard and actoin will be taken for their protection.

If the WT continues to play dead dog with this they are only breeding more paranoia within their congregations.

It's huge egg on their face to have the "world" reprimand them in this way. And it's not like they have not had plenty of ..."heed the warning" (to use their phrase) regarding their policy on this.

For those that already dislike religion and/or the JW's it will be one more notch in the belt.

Hopefully, lots of Witnesses will hear this and think twice before their continued blind faith to an organization.

And always, firstly, protect our children.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I am so interested in the ensuing letters to the BOE.

If they fight/appeal aggessively, then they show the world who they really are, a corporation intent on keeping their millions at the sacrifice of the injured victim, young girl/sister.

If they pay, it will open the way for other cases and set a precedent.

The gamble to protect the rights of the perps at the expense of the congregation/flock/children has finally come back to bite them in the wallet.

• iclone
    iclone

Citing “Case Law” and legal precedents in the courts is monumental for future lawsuits to have favorable results. This ONE case could be the event that turns the tide on the WT. While my heart is heavy for the victim, I am elated that this could awaken the conscience of other silenced victims to take appropriate action to deservedly punish the WT where it hurts the most-their pride and then ultimately-their wallet! This could be their Achilles Heel to bring this organization to its knees. One can only hope that this case gets the legs to carry on with swift momentum.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

This may explain why the JW elders are having another Kingdom Ministry School beginning November 6, 2012 thru Jan 6, 2013 according to the May 17, 2012 BOE letter that Atlantis shared with us. I’ll bet the basis for a lot of the topics and discussion will relate to lawsuits of this sort that WT is having to deal with.

It just seems like WT has been having a great deal of KMS for the elders lately. And now another! There could be some major changes coming down the pipe.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, they normally have those elders schools every 3-5 years. This one is coming just 2 years after the last one.

I imagine there will be some more "write this in the margins of your books, brothers" type instruction.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Thank you Barbara.

My family has been personally affected by this policy and it's high time attention is brought to this obvious problem.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I probably have missed it but is the guy still a JW and if so, still in "good" standing in the local congregation?

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit