Plaintiff awarded in punitive damages -21M & 1 dollar. Total award, 28M & 1 dollar. Here's more info

by AndersonsInfo 106 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

The plaintiff, Candace Conti's goal from the very beginning was to bring enough attention to this problem to incentivize Watchtower to change its policy of secrecy.

The award can be explained as it was decided: separate compensatory and punitive damages. The punitive award is established in law to punish wrongdoing - here, the conscious disregard for others - and deter that conduct in the future. Attorney, Rick Simons, told the jury that an award of three times the compensatory damages was appropriate. (For practical purposes, the higher the award, the higher the vulnerability to appellate attack). The jury respected that, and added the $1 as a clear statement of principle that they wanted to award more - and that the status quo needs to change. Those involved believe the jury would have awarded Candace $100 million if they thought it would be upheld. That's how egregious and abhorrent they believe the secrecy policy of the Watchtower is. This amazing result could not have come to a more deserving young woman. Candace has such a genuine concern for others, and her focus in this journey has always been making sure other children don't suffer the torture she endured.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks for this. I hope it encourages/opens the floodgates for others to come forward (crikey, there must be MANY).

I think, in England, we are 'sheltered' from all that happens in USA...it's all so 'distant' to us. It would be a fabulous idea to contact (religious correspondents of) British newspapers.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Barbara. It must be very pleasing to you personally to see progress in this battle.

MidwichCuckoo - I agree. More national publicity the better. The Silentlambs press release could perhaps be updated to include the punitive award and distributed

• yknot
    yknot

Thank you Barbara for the update!!

Thank you Mr. Simons for taking her case!!

Thank you Candace for your bravery, tenacity, dedication and strength!!!! Prayers for you to continue in your recovery from such a horrific experience.

• Listener
    Listener

Many cases have been settled out of court and gag orders placed. Candace has certainly shown a very genuine concern for others and placed them above her own interest.

• zoiks
    zoiks

This is wonderful news. Have any local or national news sources run a story yet?

• sspo
    sspo

Great news...thanks Barbara!

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Zoiks: Not to my knowledge but the announcement of the jury's decision for punitive damage wasn't expected by the press until this morning. It was a surprise for everyone concerned when the jury did a quickie. (I received notification last night between 8 and 9 P.M.) I think it was a bit earlier when the judge was handed the decision. I did my best to notify some media late last night and I would expect that the local press received the news late last night so we might see some articles there soon. When the first important article shows up, then we can use it to spread the word.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Thank you, Barbara!

• Gayle
    Gayle

May our Ms. Candace find peace and joy and much love with her grand success of justice! Justice can sure aid closure!

May she find personal good pride as she inspires other abuse victims to come forward against the insidious policy and evil spirit of the WTS and a major part in hopefully saving hundreds and thousands of possible future victims within the WTS.

I am so tearfully joyful in this major success. I left the WT over 25 years ago and hoped I would be able to see in my lifetime retribution toward the WTS for all the hurt against too many people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit