Plaintiff awarded in punitive damages -21M & 1 dollar. Total award, 28M & 1 dollar. Here's more info

by AndersonsInfo 106 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you sir.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

As far as I can see from the court documents, the claim for punitive damages was only against WTBTS NY. Thus their 'share' is 27% of $7m plus $21m = $21.89m. The financial data they filed with the court suggests that there should be no problem collecting that.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Dagney, sir 82 is right but the answer is not on another thread but in this one in my opening post.

Attorney Rick Simons, told the jury that an award of three times the compensatory damages was appropriate. (For practical purposes, the higher the award, the higher the vulnerability to appellate attack). The jury respected that, and added the $1 as a clear statement of principle that they wanted to award more - and that the status quo needs to change. Those involved believe the jury would have awarded Candace $100 million if they thought it would be upheld. That's how egregious and abhorrent they believe the secrecy policy of the Watchtower is.

• tec
    tec

I'm very happy for her, and for everyone who has been kept "silent" in the sense that their character has been attacked as their cries for justice have gone unanswered.

They have been heard; and the WTS is answering for the harm they have caused.

Peace,

tammy

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you Barbara. I'm at work and shouldn't be spending the time following this but can't stop...lol, sorry I missed the OP.

• VM44
    VM44

"so what was the smoking gun?"

Wasn't the smoking gun a written secrecy policy that The Watchtower sent to the congregations?

If so, I would like to see that document!

• blondie
    blondie

Apologize, mP...the WTS has and would turn it around and blame some nameless jws for running ahead or not obeying the WTS/GB, even saying these inserted wrong info.

• Darth Rutherford
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Before dancing in the streets break out, the judge made rulings of law that can be appealed and that might overturn the jury verdict. I'm curious as to the actual law governing priest/penititent privilege. I skimmed the rulings. It seems to me that requiring a single minister could be v iewed as favoring one religion over another.

The specifics had to be very damning for such general damages and punitive award. Something hapened that was unconscinable to the jury, The Witness lawyers could have evoked some sympathy for the plight of the plaintiff. It is not clear to me what was different in this case compare to the previous cases. Perhaps one brave plaintiff.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Thank you Barbara for all the updates.

I was scanning through the court docs and came across the meaning of "Malice" as to the WTS...." despicable conduct which is carried on by the defendant with a willful and conscious disregard of the rights and safety of others." WOW! Powerful stuff!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit