Plaintiff awarded in punitive damages -21M & 1 dollar. Total award, 28M & 1 dollar. Here's more info

by AndersonsInfo 106 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• iclone
    iclone

Oh how I love to see the book of Proverbs expose the flawed thinking of Jehovah’s Witnesses. For so many years the “Two Witness Rule” was considered to be from the highest authority, a Theocratic decree. Now this flawed approach has been exposed as being grossly negligent. Reminds me of the following scripture; (Proverbs18:17) The one first in his legal case is righteous; his fellow comes in and certainly searches him through.

They have certainly been “searched through” and found to be negligent!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This was a comment from the msnbc article and I think most Witnesses indeed believe this. I would have thought the same way...as it makes sense! I could not comment to his post (glich, I think) but obvoiusly he/she will not take the time to read the evidence.

Jagville Gitsome VIA FACEBOOK

It is not true that those who have the responsibility towards such matters keep it secret. In fact, they are obligated to contact the authorities and child protective services. And they honor and do this. If an individual has an appointed position, he is immediately removed from that position. He loses privileges, and they support the victim. Even if a person was a pedophile, molester, etc, prior to becoming a Jehovah's Witness, he may not be able to qualify to reach out for office of oversight, such as an elder, etc. They take this matter very serious, and they do receive instructions from Governing body on how to handle such matters so as to protect the congregation and avoid bringing reproach upon the organization, and our God, Jehovah.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Sab: This kind of statement statement makes me queasy. The person who blindly calls the plaintiff a liar is just an idiot, but the last comment is insidious. She is sowing a subtle seed of prejudice.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Universal JW knee-jerk response is that the WT can do no wrong, that anything negative are lies from Satan. Then, just to make sure their position is unassailable, they won't read the evidence or facts surrounding the matter to actually find out. This is a classic page from my dear husband's playbook.

ME: "Well, if their position is right, then reading the evidence will only strengthen your faith."

HIM: "No, I don't want to mess up my mind with twisted reasonings."

Sigh.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

The jw Lawyer said :

“We’re stunned by the verdict. We hate child abuse and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT .”

EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT? Huh? That shows just how little they think of abuse victims. Sounds like they hate helping the abuse victims too....

Chris-

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Also, a huge THANK YOU to Barbara and everyone else for keeping us updated and informed about this important ruling!

• sd-7
    sd-7

Wow. I can't believe it's on MSN. I wonder if it'll be on the news tonight. I may perhaps watch just to see...this is huge. Reading the comments there, though, it's clear that it became a war of words, JWs on one side touting their collective righteousness and saying this woman is lying, and ex-JWs responding with logic and evidence and all that ravenous, wolf-like stuff they usually go for. The general sense was that either people were horrified by it, or they didn't see the logic in suing Watchtower over the actions of this one man.

But from what I've seen on this thread, I can see why the jury got so upset about it. Because WT's lawyer basically said, according to what I've read here, that even if it happened today, they'd STILL not inform the authorities, EVEN THOUGH THE LAW NOW REQUIRES IT. Yeah, that sounds like malice to me.

I've never fully understood all the things I've read about this sort of abuse happening. It just seemed so unreal to me. I was such a loyalist, and it just seems, well, hard to understand why elders would keep this kind of information quiet, why they would watch a guy like this maybe even playing with kids after the meeting, and not say anything at all. Seems like a lot of folks on MSN, particularly JWs themselves, don't seem to get that people who do this kind of thing to kids have a sickness to the point where often it doesn't just happen once, it continues on and on unless somebody locks 'em up and keeps a very close eye on them once they've done their time. And what precisely would the JW judicial process accomplish? Oh, if he molests one kid and says he's repentant, maybe a reproof, but two kids is a DF'ing? What callous disregard for the safety of innocent children!

Anyway, I'm very happy that this verdict has happened. It may be that there'll be a significant appeal process. I'm not sure if this will shake most JWs out of apathy; the loyalists will more than likely circle the wagons and claim it's apostate propaganda and/or persecution. (I wouldn't be surprised if this was brought up in the final district convention talk this year and dressed up as 'persecution' by 'apostates'.) But wow. This is just huge!

I guess I'm both happy and yet also sickened that even on something like this, they're so out of touch with reality. The reason they're responsible is that they don't seem to feel anything at all about this kind of thing going on. Any concerned religion would write out something very specific and very heartfelt to bring these issues out into the open for their church members to talk about. The fact that they feel more comfortable just dismissing it all as satanic propaganda just underscores the fact that they are a cult, and are concerned only with self-preservation.

Well...wouldn't it be funny if that whole attack on false religion they keep predicting...actually started with them? Time to eat crow, boys. Time to eat crow.

--sd-7

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm really not surprised. I showed my non JW busness partner the MSN site. He's going to show it to the few brothers that work for us.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I guess I'm both happy and yet also sickened that even on something like this, they're so out of touch with reality. The reason they're responsible is that they don't seem to feel anything at all about this kind of thing going on. Any concerned religion would write out something very specific and very heartfelt to bring these issues out into the open for their church members to talk about. The fact that they feel more comfortable just dismissing it all as satanic propaganda just underscores the fact that they are a cult, and are concerned only with self-preservation.

They are just a mainstream Westburo Baptist Church. They feed off of the hate they incite in others by committing actions beyond the ethics and morals of most people in the modern era. Think about it, this is the perfect time to grow an old-style prejudice-centric religion. The outside world is enlightened so they will strongly condemn religious radicalism which will just enforce the seige mentality of the radical religionists. The perfect crime, the Watchtower is, but their number seems to be up now. It's only a matter of time, but as the good people continue to hemorrhage out of the Society what will be left is the die hards and the hidden criminals. Their kids will not stick around.

-Sab

• VIII
    VIII

I usually get 3-5 e-mails a day from my JW aunt in California. Today? Not one.

My Mom, who has some major issues regarding pedofiles, hasn't called today, usually I get 2-3 calls a day since my sister passed.

I have no doubt they are trying to figure out how to spin this.

I'm thrilled she got so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit