Plaintiff awarded in punitive damages -21M & 1 dollar. Total award, 28M & 1 dollar. Here's more info

by AndersonsInfo 106 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

so what was the smoking gun?

• Land of Magog
  • DNCall
    DNCall

Sir 82: I could be wrong about this, but the apportionment used for regular damages may not be the same as for punitive damages. I belive the special verdict item that triggered punitive damages was that Watchtower acted with malice. Wouldn't it be great if $21 million was apportioned to Watchtower and $1 to the perp?

• mP
    mP

I would ask that a public apology of sorts and admission of guilt to be printed in all WT front page.

• sir82
    sir82

DNCall,

I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV). I hope you are right!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Ah-mazing. Finally.

What is the significance of the $?

• Mary
    Mary
    "....recall a quote from one of the GB members around the time Barb Anderson and Bill Bowen tried to get the WT to change it's horrific policies, both the 2 witness rule and keeping congregation members from knowing of past sexual abuse convictions: He said: "We don't change for any man."

Maybe not, but they'll change for the courts if they want to hang on to their $$$ and what's left of their shattered reputation.

This is excellent news. Thanks so much to Barb and Bill Bowen and their tireless work on helping to expose this horror that 'God's Chosen Ones' have tried keeping under cover over so many years. Of course, when the R&F find out about it and start asking questions, they'll be told that this is nothing more than a 'smear campaign' by Satan's minions and is a sure sign that 'true Christians' will be persecuted in the Last Daze.

It's also particularly nice to see that, given how much they've bashed the Catholic Church for protecting pedophiles, they're now in the same boat.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I meant what is the significance of the $1? Sorry.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

DNCall: You said

"the apportionment used for regular damages may not be the same as for punitive damages. I belive the special verdict item that triggered punitive damages was that Watchtower acted with malice."

This what I was given to understand and until I hear differently, this is what I'll go by. If I'm not correct, I'll post the new information.

wa happened: The smoking gun? If I understand your question correctly, it was as I've contended for years, the confidentiality policy of the Watchtower, or as the law firm's press release highlighted, the secrecy to avoid lawsuits. The jury was appalled by the "secrecy" aspect of the Watchtower.

• sir82
    sir82
    what is the significance of the $1

It's somewhere on the other thread.

The attorney for the plaintiff suggested making the punitive damages 3 times more than the other damages. Limiting it to 3X reduces the chances it will be overturned on appeal.

The jury was inclined to make the punitive damages much much higher but acquiesed to the suggestion. The $1 is symbolic of their desire to have made the punitive damages much higher.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit