Summer reading

by mrsjones5 61 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ok folks, it's that time of year. School's out, the kids are running around (well actually staring at the video screen), the days are longer and the night are cool. With the lazy hot days of summer ahead what's on your reading list?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just started "In the shadow of the sword" by Tom Holland, it is a non-fiction work about the rise of Islam, and I think his rather brave contention is that despite much work over many many years by Islamic scholars, the beginnings of thr religion, and the empire, are shrouded in a deep fog

No solid proof exists for the veracity of the myths, even for some of the decisive battles, and the Quran itself is of doubtful provinence.

A good read so far, looking forward to the rest of it.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I'm almost done with part 5 of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. So I guess parts 6 and 7 are on the horizon.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I just started a book of short stories called "Stories of Your Life and Others" by Ted Chiang. Got it from the library. It's due tomorrow. Got a late start on it and now I'm hooked. It's classified as scifi and it has a definate Ray Bradbury feel. I like it, gonna renew it today.

• Deceived
    Deceived

I am on book 3 of The Game of Thrones Fire and Ice series which also has had 2 Seasons of shows on HBO.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just started "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

We are planning to drive up the California coast into Oregon in July, so I'm reading California travel books right now.

• DNCall
  • soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

just finishing Michael Connelly's The Poet

• d
    d

One second after-William R. Forstchen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit