Summer reading

by mrsjones5 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

D*mn IE9.

I have been on break for two weeks, and in that time, I have consumed The Pillars of the Earth and the first two in the Game of Thrones trilogy. I just started the third in the trilogy. All of them have been very engrossing.

• Quentin
    Quentin

I'll check that author out Glander....When I was that age I read the Jack O'Brien SILVER CHIEF books. MrsJones someone raised their children well, or at the very least steered them in the right direction....

Wow Justitia, those books are long. Think I'll stay with the cable versions...

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Quentin, did you ever read London's, "Sea Wolf"? I really liked it, but it's probably not one the kids would go for.

One thing I've been wanting to try for a very long time, is "Moby Dick". I've had so many people tell me how hard it is to get through...........and so many tell me how great it is.

Has anyone read "A Confederacy of Dunces"??

• Quentin
    Quentin

Sadly no...saw the movies....You will enjoy Moby Dick, read it years ago in Jr High. The writing style will put you off some, but that's the way they worte back then. It is a compeling story...

• Berengaria
  • Glander
    Glander

I read Moby Dick several years ago and found it daunting to start but after I picked up on the writing style found it a great read. The kind of thing that actually changes your internal thought language very profoundly for awhile. The same thing with reading Shakespeare or Dickens, et al. The impression fades but always leaves the "ear" ready to visit again.

I saw the movie "Master & Commander, The Far Side of the World" with Russel Crowe as Captain Aubrey. I loved the movie so much I ended up reading several of Patrick O'Briens books that the script was based on. If you are into sailing ship stories and high seas adventure with strong, complex characters and simple but engrossing plots, I recommend Patrick O'Brian. NOTE: This not "potato chip" reading.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Love Shakespeare because of the words as much as the story, love Dickens but can find him a bit too wordy. Great visuals though.

Picked up O'Brien many times, even a cookbook based on the novels. But never read one.

Sigh

• AGuest
    AGuest

That's me and hubby's favorite episode, dear Beks (peace to you, girl!)... especially the "ironic" end!

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• wasblind
    wasblind

Yes Shelby ,

I'm a twilight zone fan too

sorry Josie didn't mean to derail BTTT

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have a lot of reading options. My main ereader is the Ectaco Jetbook Lite. It is Kindle like, except better because I can organize my folders on the PC and it recognizes them the way I have them set up. It also handles many book formats, including reflowing a PDF so I can adjust font size and not have to do all that crazy Kindle scrolling. I also have an android phone with Kindle app and FBreader.

As for content, I have a lot of Heinlein, Mark Twain and Jack London titles. I have Larry Niven and lots of otherauthors and titles. I have downsized a huge pbook collection and replaced as many as I could with ebooks.

As to what I will read, I want to read the Babylon 5 Technomage trilogy. I also have a small stack of Andre Norton pbooks to read and pass along.

I seem to do most of my reading in the winter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit