Summer reading

by mrsjones5 61 Replies latest jw friends

• under the radar
    under the radar

I am just now reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Can hardly put it down.

Interspersing that with a fairly recent biography of FDR by Ted Morgan. Pretty wordy, more minutia that I'd bargained for, but still interesting. I'm on page 306 out of 774, and he only just got elected governor of New York. It's worth continuing to wade through because I'm looking forward to the World War II years. Seems there was lots of skulduggery and infighting by just about everybody on all sides.

For light summer reading, I can recommend Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson. Excellent book with lots of uncannily accurate descriptions of what life in a small town in the deep South is still like. People are people, no matter where they live and what their accent. By the way, if you can find the unabridged audio version, the author narrates her own book and her accent and voice inflection for the different characters is absolutely delicious. Cracker Barrel restaurants may still have some you can rent for about $3.50 a week. What a deal!

• Quentin
    Quentin

A BLAZE OF GLORY ( A Novel of the Battle of Shiloh )....Jeff Shaara, the author of "Gods and Generals"

CAIN AT GETTYSBURG...Ralph Peters....Father's Day gifts from family.

Cultic Doctrine of Seventh Day Adventists....Dale Ratzlaff...exSDA...book from Terry

KILLING LINCOLN...Bill O'Riley and Martin Dugard

That will get me started. Have four or five other books lined up. One a re-read of Heinlin's THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Quentin!!! I have "The Killer Angels" in my hand right now, just going over my summer list! Just finished reading all about the Shaaras. Wondering if Shelby Foote's "Stars in their Courses" might come next.

I do have "World Without End" on my shelf as well, but it looks a bit daunting at a thousand pages. I just finished four of those back to back.

I'm hoping to get to "The Sun Also Rises", several fiction and non fiction items related to 18th century Scotland and a swell fictional trilogy of Robert the Bruce by Nigel Tranter. I've read only the first one "The Steps to the Empty Throne".

In the middle of a fun John Lescroart mystery now. Still have to finish "The Lemon Tree: An Arab a Jew and the Heart of the Middle East". Really good so far, but heavy and making me cry.

"The Poet" was great! "The Narrows" very good too. Soft+Gentle, if you liked that, you might like "Mortal Fear" by Greg Iles.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just finished "This Book Will Save Your Life" by A.M. Homes. (How could an ex-JW resist a title like that?)

Before that, "Kafka On the Shore" by Haruki Murakami.

om

• AGuest
    AGuest

If you've read (and liked) "Pillars of the Earth", dear Beks (the greatest of love and peace to you!)... you'll love "A World Without End" - it's even better, IMHO, and well worth the time commitment! Per hubby, "Fall of the Giants" was really good, too.

Me? (Greetings, Miz Josie, and peace to you, girl!). Unfortunately, I'm "reading" the following this summer:

• Management Plan
    • Department Strategic Plan (well, creating, then training staff on)
    • Administrative Plan
    • Occupancy Plan(s)
    • Procurement Manual
    • Employee Handbook
    • Various MOUs/Bargaining Agreements
    • Fleet Maintenance Manual
    • HUD Regs
    • IRS Code
    • Various trade magazines
    • A buttload of email
    • And a whole bunch of other sundry (and boring as h*ll!) manuals, treatises, digests, and documents...

Ah, days of reading just for the utter joy of reading. Days long gone in my world...

Peace... and ya'll have a great day/weekend!

SA, on her own...

• Quentin
    Quentin

Berengaria, I'll have to get THE KILLER ANGLES, that was written by the father.

PILLARS OF THE EARTH is a great read. So many great books, so little time.....

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I think I'm going to go dig up The Dark Tower books and start over with them (finished the 3rd one and didn't get back into them) I think the following line is one of the best openings ever "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed"

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I loved I, II, and III of the Dark Tower Series but I wasn't too crazy about IV. I stopped reading at VI but I think I need to start back at IV just to get back into it again.

• talesin
    talesin

mrsjones --- Excellent -- another lie-barry enthusiast. (hahaha, my friend writes it that way, just for fun :D) I love the library!

Let me see ... I'm just finishing up the 5th book in the Chronicles of Narnia, and have the other two from the library; also, Dead Aid by Nambisa Moyo (about why foreign aid to Africa has not worked), and The Treehouse by Naomi Wolf (a memoir of lessons her father taught her). Like someone else on the thread (sorry, can't remember who posted it), I read several books at a time.

My next book is called Before Night Falls, by Reinaldo Arenas, a memoir by a Cuban writer that I expect to be quite gut-wrenching. I'm hoping to acquire the last 2 books of The Hunger Games trilogy, but hell, the first one only lasted 2 days! Like a few others on the thread, I would like to finish the Dark Tower series. I think I will have to reread the first 3 books, though, because it's been so long! Start and Run a Real Home Based Business is coming next week from the library (I have "Service for the Homebound", which is great - they drop off and pick up books/movies every third Friday, and no fines! I just order what I want online). I also have The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I'm reading some children's classics that I missed. The Little Prince is also on my list for the summer. :D

I would love to get ahold of 11/22/63 by Steven King. Sounds like a good read!

:))

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth.

I forgot, I am hoping to read something, anything, by Carlos Fuentes. I've heard many interviews and discussions since his death in May. I'm intrigued.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit