Summer reading

by mrsjones5 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Several weeks ago my nine year old grand-son finished reading Jack London's WHITE FANG. He got his Dad to get London's CALL OF THE WILD.

It is refreshing to see children read. He can tell you every twist and turn of the plot.

• talesin
    talesin

Quentin,, that is good to read! It's disappointing to me that so many young people no longer read books .. good to hear that some kids are still reading the classic adventure novels. And Jack London! What great stories for kids to learn from. :))

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I love "what are you reading?" threads. There are always so many great suggestions or authors I've never heard of to try out for the first time. I still have a ten-deep stack on my nightstand, but now I want to go to Half Price Books tomorrow ;-)

I'm reading "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" and "The Best American Travel Stories of 2008". Borders was going out of business and it was only $1, which was a very good buy, because I learned there are centuries old foot trails throughout Provence, France, where you can literally walk through people's backyards/fields from small village to the next small village, making incredible restaurant/hotel discoveries and meeting interesting humans along the way. I want to go to there.

• talesin
    talesin

hemp lover

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" It is refreshing to see children read."

I have one that s a big time reader (my daughter). My younger sons both reached and surpassed their reading goals at school. My oldest is not as mch of a reader but he enjoys a good book now and then (he recently had to read "1984" for school, hated it and told me he would like to burn that book. I have a feeling he wouldn't make a good jw).

We're all going to enroll in the summer reading program at our library.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I'm re-reading "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson.

It's one of my favourites and this will be the 4th time reading it. The Silence introduced me to it, so I blame her.

• Deceived
    Deceived

Hey nice to see you Palmtree

The Silence mentioned a book yesterday that I downloaded called Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell.

Silence said someone suggested to her that if she liked Gargoyle she would like this book. She hasn't read it but I think it sounds really interesting. Kind of science fiction with religious aspects. Here is a synopsis. I will be reading it next week.

Amazon.com Review

In 2019, humanity finally finds proof of extraterrestrial life when a listening post in Puerto Rico picks up exquisite singing from a planet which will come to be known as Rakhat. While United Nations diplomats endlessly debate a possible first contact mission, the Society of Jesus quietly organizes an eight-person scientific expedition of its own. What the Jesuits find is a world so beyond comprehension that it will lead them to question the meaning of being "human." When the lone survivor of the expedition, Emilio Sandoz, returns to Earth in 2059, he will try to explain what went wrong

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Hello, beatiful lady!

I'll have to download "Sparrow" to the kindle. Let me know when you start reading it and I'll read it, too!

• Glander
    Glander

When I was in my mid teens I read every Jim Kjelgaard book I could get my hands on. (He wrote "Big Red" which Disney made into a movie) All exciting stories about dogs, wild animals, indian boys in the old west, etc. great books for the right young person.

Very similar to the Jack London books.

• Justitia Themis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit