New DVD "Become Jehovah's Friend"

by treadnh2o 364 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

I think the best thing to do with this video is to get it shown on forums all over the Internet, particularly parenting forums.

As a loyal JW I would have cringed to see this video being shared with and discussed by 'worldly' people, I definitely wouldn't have felt proud. I don't think I would have even wanted to share it with a study.

As for non-JW's, you can pretty much guarentee that any who see this disturbing stuff will run a mile from any JW trying to convert them.

Contacting the press is unlikely to have much success imo, you need to get it going viral first, then the press might get interested. I would do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't concerned about compromising my anonymity. (My fade isn't going too well and the elders are onto me already). I'm a member of a few parenting communities online and I know that if this video got posted for discussion it would be viewed by potentially thousands of concerned parents. It's best if you're already a member of a forum though so you don't just 'hit-and-run'.

Hopefully someone here has more balls than me and will do this.

I'm thinking mainly about the wizard toy video. Nothing negative needs to be said about it, the GB have done all the work for you . It's clear they never intended this to be seen by non-JW families and will have really shot themselves in the foot if it goes public.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

My wife (never a JW) just watched the sparlock episode...

talk about fuming mad! Going to email it to her friends.

Smurfs are dead, long live SPARLOCK! May he come to be a huge pain in the WT arse

Oz

• donny
    donny

Is this the Society's version of "Davey and Goliath?" I find the "Why Should You Obey Mommy and Daddy" segment amusing. I know that many of these instances would not have ended with "Let's clean up this mess together", but with the boys backside being lit up. Also, notice the emphasis on "obey." Obey mommy and daddy will lead into obet the Governing Body, your spiritual mommy and daddy.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Ok, a couple more things that are weird:

Comic timing/mixed messages: I found this video tries to be funny but is a major fail, especially in the marbles scene. First, the scene gets all dark/blue as dad breaks his neck slipping - a pretty serious message, point made. Leaving your shit on the floor can be dangerous. It is than followd by "comical" bugs bunny-style crashing noises as the house shakes. THIS GOES ON WAYYYY TO LONG. THE TIMING IS AWFUL. IT IS D.O.A. AS FAR AS COMIC TIMING. It also manages to mix messages: the seriousness of leaving marbles and dads fall with a "funny" crash. I'm still trying to figure out the tv spewing some sort of Armageddon dust on the kid's teddy bear.

Lesson here: Cults are very bad at humor.

Camera angles: these are some pretty damn scary camera angles. The parents LOOM over Caleb, authoritarian, foreboding. Sure, it's a kids movie from the viewpoint of a kid. But put in Toy Story and compare the camera angles there with the ones from JW Toy Story. You'll see what I mean.

This DVD is a GOLD MINE!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just had another thought, too.

I think this medium (animation) really magnifies the society's ineptitude with children more than other media like print. That's why real animators who produce children's material are REALLY careful about what they put up on the screen. What you read in a society children's publication might whisper "emotional manipulation", but you put those same sentiments into 3D animation and it screams "EMOTIONAL MANIPULATION!"

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Over 5300 views! tons of comments from people who are not JW or exJW). Lots of anti-religion comments.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

The vid has the typical dub double meanings that only JWs will pick up on.

Mom said Jehovah would be 'sad' if you play with magic things.

But every JW in the world knows Jehovah would not be 'sad' if you play with magic, He would be ANGRY and KILL you at armageddon...and armageddon could happen at any second now!

'Sad.' Yeah, right.

Mom actually said, "I wouldn't want Jehovah to be sad with you..." Who says that? No one says, 'I'm sad with you!' or 'He's sad with me'

It's: 'I'm ANGRY with you.'

• adamluis
    adamluis

and, what about the second DVD? Walk by faith and not by sight. Can anybody uploading it?

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Been away, my good pal Cantleave has just updated me about this video! What a bunch of assholes, massive fail.

I remember having an elder and his wife over for a meal, and they gently berated my son (aged 7 at the time) about a WOODEN sword he was playing with, then advised me how to get him to dispose of it in exchange for a sail boat I think. To my shame I got him to throw it out. I never did buy the boat afterwards........

Fast forward to today, and my son has a collection of at least 12 guns (plastic, water pistols etc) lots of swords (plastic and wooden) and a bedroom full of Halo Reach posters and Star Wars stuff. And yet he is a polite, loving, non-violent child who is well adjusted.

The poor poor children made to watch this garbage.........today I am more thankful than ever we are out.

Marbles......innocent childrens toy, or weapon of mass destruction? You decide.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

What is with the Dad's accent?!?

It's like a mixture of Eastern European, Italian/Spanish mongrolese!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit