Are There ANY Prophecies or Beliefs That The Witnesses Have Right In Your Opinion?

by minimus 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Well, the world did get worst after 1914.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Well, the world did get worst after 1914.

No, it did not. Look at what has been achieved - aviation available to almost everyone, great advances in medicine, the invention of computing and advanced communication electronics...I would not trade life in 2012 for life in 1912. War has not been eliminated, but for the last 65+ years there has not been a major war on the scale of WW1 or WW2. BTW - surely you are not being serious about the Witnesses being somehow "right" about 1914 when they expected the literal return of Christ???

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

The things you just mentioned are only in first world countries. Third world countries make up most of the world. And evidently things there are worst than before.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

JW's and 1914:

1. Russell did not believe that 1914 marked the "beginning of the end" as do Jehovah's Witnesses. Rather, he pointed to 1799 for that (i.e., see Zion's Watch Tower for Nov. 7, 1893, page 24.) In commenting on the discovery of the Rossetta stone he states:

"The point is that 1799 was the very year beginning the time of the End when many would run to and fro and knowledge be increased." - DAWN, Vol III, Chapter II"

2. He did not believe that Christ came invisibly in 1914 as Jehovah's Witnesses do. Rather, he believed that the invisible presence occurred in 1874. Zion's Watch Tower, July 15, 1906, credits this teaching to Second Adventist N.H. Barbour.

3. So what exactly did Russell believe about 1914? And where did he get that date? Well, he said that the "Times of the Gentiles" ended in 1914. But, again, this is not unique to Russell. Barbour's paper "Herald of the Morning" on its July, 1878 cover indicates in the right hand corner that "the 'Times of the Gentiles' end in 1914." This is a full year before Russell began his own journal.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Minimus - are you out there? It is starting to look like he WAS serious.

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!

JAmes, whether the world, or life on this planet has improved, is largely subjective. I didn't save any money on my car insurance.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    JAmes, whether the world, or life on this planet has improved, is largely subjective. I didn't save any money on my car insurance.

Neither did I, but I doubt that I would have had a car prior to 1914. They were more rare than private airplanes are now.

• minimus
    minimus

1914 was supposed to be the beginning of the end, according to JWs. How long will generations die before the thick headed believers accept reality? (for Nomad)

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    They were more rare than private airplanes are now.

touche', touche'..........

• Dagney
    Dagney

One opinion of how life compares now in third world countires.

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/features/hows-the-third-world-doing/

What precisely is happening in the Third World? According to the United Nations, World Bank, and myriad other groups that keep track, the standard of living is improving. The statistic that almost trumps all others is life span. People who find their conditions worsening don’t live longer lives. But life expectancy is consistently better in the Third World than a century or even half a century ago. In 1906 the life expectancy in India was 25 years; 2 today it’s around 64. 3 As recently as 1930 the average life span in China was only 24 years. 4 Today it’s 69 for men and 73.5 for women. 5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit