Are There ANY Prophecies or Beliefs That The Witnesses Have Right In Your Opinion?

by minimus 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

I love how they state all the invisible things that happened! And they do it with certainty!

• james_woods
    james_woods

To whoever said they got 1914 right, let us remember that they said Christ would come in 1914. Which did not happen.

They manifestly DID NOT say that WW1 would come in 1914. Which actually did happen.

No - they were not right about 1914.

What they did was rewrite what they had expected to happen in 1914 and CLAIM they were right.

• minimus
    minimus

i think the 1914 comment had to be a joke.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I kept asking that question to my JW friends around the time I left. What prophecy completely devised by the WTBS GB came true. I asked at that time hoping that there was something...at least one.

There was none, and most know it.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    i think the 1914 comment had to be a joke.

I would hope so. Just setting the matter straight because I thought I saw him say it twice.

• minimus
    minimus

You see, you can't really argue against invisible prophecies being fulfilled.

• james_woods
    james_woods

That is true. It is also pretty hard to argue rationally against irrational prophecy fulfillment claims - like the "seven trumpet blasts" - you just have to say that is bullshit and walk away from it.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

They got right that goverments are full of shit.

But everyone knows that so I guess it doesn't really count as a JW thing.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    They got right that goverments are full of shit.

But not WHICH governments were most full of it - for example, they thought that the U.S.S.R. was the king of the north and would take over the U.S. and England.

• cedars
    cedars

War is an issue on which I'm still on the fence. Today I was reading the "forbidden" pages of the Finished Mystery (the ones that were torn out). I can see why these pages were contraband. At a time of war fever, the Society was denouncing going to war as a total contradiction of Christianity. I couldn't help myself but be moved by the sentiments (although most of them seemed to be quotes from external religious sources). I'm not sure whether I saw the whole picture, because I heard there were certain "brethren" who went to war in WW1, but certainly this book casts the war in a very unfavorable light. The illicit pages were also quite outspoken politically about the various warring nations, and their "militarism". I have to hand it to them, at least they stood their ground on trying to promote peace, even if the book itself is utter hogwash.

I think back to those awful times, and the similar state of affairs during World War 2. Although I consider myself a pacifist, I can't help but wonder what I would have done if I had a "free mind" back then. On the one hand, I believe the allies in WW2 did the free world and the cause of liberty a huge service. There was a clear distinction between good and evil, and good prevailed. On the other hand, based purely on the bible, going to war is wrong. However, that is a paradox in itself when you consider the blood-soaked exploits of the Israelites when conquering the promised land.

I'll stay on the fence for now...

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit