Medical Marijuana, Your opinion please?

by Greybeard 164 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

But to say it's not addictive is bull. I've lived it.
    To be fair . . . the comparison was being made to alcohol . . . and is therefore valid.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Do you believe pot is addictive or not? I mean if you are talking about the shakes and delusions, probably not. But there are definitely mood problems with withdrawal. And really, the issue is addictive personalities. If you are addicted to alcohol, you are likely to become addicted to pot assuming you enjoy it.

It's also physically damaging. Drawing hot smoke in to the lungs is causing damage.
    That's the delivery method . . . not the drug.

That's true. There is some discussion on the psychological effects long term. Unfortunately it's not all about big pharma either.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith
    using a bong can lessen this damage.

Using a vaporizer lessens it even more! And you use much less product! Win/win!

Eating it would be my preferred method, but let's face it, that gets expensive. When you a touch a flame to the herb, the heat destroys much of the active chemical. When you vaporize, it heats the herb just to the point of vaporizing the THC. You get about 94% of the goods. Even with a joint, you only get about 38% to 45%. Also with the vaporizor, it doesn't burn the herb, so you're not inhaling the tars that hurt the lungs. Wheeeeeeee!

I live in Washington State. It's pretty much legal here, for most intents & purposes.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Do you believe pot is addictive or not?

Somewhat false dichotomy . . .

I don't believe it includes all the elements of addiction for everybody . . . perhaps for a few. I've known some heavy users in the past who gave it a rest . . . and none have experienced discomfort or withdrawal. That's not to say addiction isn't possible. After all people get addicted to behaviours, food, and sex as well it seems.

On the other hand . . . anybody who habitually (daily) uses more than moderate amounts of alcohol will become seriously addicted and experience withdrawal.

To say "pot is addictive" is a bigger generalisation than to say it isn't, IMO. But both are probably wrong as a generalisation. Don't blame the drug . . . people are the variable. Like all drugs . . . some work for some . . . others don't.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Now Size. Again I must point out that I think it should be legal.

We've been getting high since the dawn of man, I have no problem with any of it, as long as it does not effect others. That includes burdening society with fallout, and shirking familial duties. But no drug is pristine. There seems to be a bit of denial on the part of pot smokers. I used to be one, I am not coming from a place of ignorance.

Fermented Yak Milk anyone???

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I've put it down for days and weeks at a time on several occasions. Not once have I ever experienced any withdrawals at any time. On the other hand, I've got a buddy who smokes waaaay too much. He can't seem to go more than 30 minutes without getting anxious and jumpy.

People are certainly the variable.This same friend has tried and tried to quit cigarettes as well, with no success. I quit cold-turkey, for good, after smoking daily for nearly 20 years. Granted, it was hard, but I managed to do it and stay off cigs for 7 years now. I think it's just the personality.

I think the old adage rings true with MJ: "It's not physically addictive, but it can be mentally addictive". Never heard of anyone ever going through physical withdrawals from dropping pot.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

LOL dropping pot!!!?? Depends on where you dropped it!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

But that is my point Low Key. If one has an addictive personality, and pot is the drug of choice..................... My ex hubby quit several times. It got so unbearable, that I was just wishing he would fire one up.

But to say it's not addictive is bull. I've lived it.

Cannabis is not physically addictive. For some people, it can be psychologically addictive. However, I think that those who are psychologically addicted to pot are addictive personalities in general, and, if pot didn't exist for them to become addicted to, they'd be addicted to some other drug.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lived it," but I note that you refer to your experience in the past tense. For some folks, it's time to move on. For others, cannabis is an enjoyable aspect of life, much like a fine wine. And for others, cannabis is real medicine.

It's also physically damaging. Drawing hot smoke in to the lungs is causing damage.

It can also be eaten or vaporized.

It might be causing "damage," but there is no link between lung cancer and even heavy marijuana smoking, as established by the UCLA study headed by Dr. Donald Tashkin. In fact, that study found that there was actually a lower incidence of lung cancer in heavy cannabis users as compared to the general population, but found the lower incidence to be quantitatively insignificant.

No studies have conclusively found marijuana smoke to be "damaging" to the lungs. I bet that cell phone you're using cuases a lot more damage to your health than regular marijuana use would.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Why not just let people use the damn stuff without creating additional problems? Making it illegal is what drives up the price, and that in turn makes it more attractive to have pushers and for addicts to steal and rob to feed their addiction. I don't advocate abusing drugs--they do ruin your brain and your liver. However, unless some Rockefellers (who are not going to let go of their Age of Pisces control, even though it is now out of date) have some mysterious right to dominate and rule mankind, taking the power of medical care away from the people is wrong. People should have the right to use whatever drugs or surgery, or nutrition, or diet and exercise, or mind-control, or color therapy, or chakra therapy, or yoga, or whatever else they want to use for healing (or whatever combination they see fit) to heal themselves.

Otherwise, we are going to keep right on seeing people dying of diabetes, strokes, heart attacks, cancer, and other preventable conditions in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and early 60s. Cures are going to be suppressed. Lifetime courses of drugs will be required. In the case of cancer, you get chemo that knocks out the cancer and your immune system, assuring that you will get another, even worse cancer in a couple of years. For the others, you will ruin your liver and metabolism trying to manage a condition for 20 years. Profits and power for the Rockefellers, pain and misery for everyone else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit